3 Days in Yosemite with E-M5 and G6

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by tlovegrove, Apr 30, 2014.

1. tlovegrove

tlovegrove Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2014
    Southern California
    I recently got to spend three days in Yosemite with my Olympus E-M5 and a Panasonic G6. Here are some brief observations about the two bodies:

Both cameras did very well - I am very glad I moved to MFT (from Canon full frame). I was so thankful for my tiny little camera kit, as I saw all the huge cameras being lugged around.

Having two cameras was fantastic. Usually I had the 12-32 on the G6 and the Leica 25mm on the E-M5 (more about lenses in another post).

I expected the E-M5 to outperform the G6 for stills. But I'm not sure that it did. As I've worked through the photos post-trip, there is very little to clearly distinguish E-M5 photos as better. Admittedly the photos were outdoors with lots of light - not the most challenging environment. But still, I was pleased that the G6 held up so well.

The DSLR-style grip on the G6 is so easy to work with - especially in landscape photography where you are sometimes moving around on uneven terrain with the camera in your hand, etc.

The G6 is so incredibly light!

Love the built in intervalometer on the G6.

For these reasons (and some others that I'll explain in a post on the Panasonic bodies forum), I came home and decided to get another Panasonic body to replace the E-M5.

If you're interested in the photos, they are here.

2. DougVaughn

DougVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    Franklin, TN
    Doug Vaughn
    Nice set Tim.

I'm heading to Yosemite in five weeks and crossing my fingers some water will still be flowing given the extreme drought. I used to live only 3 hours from Yosemite, back when my photo skills were even more humble than they are now. Living in Tennessee, planning for 3-4 days in Yosemite is more difficult.

I will be taking both my Canon 5DIII and Olympus E-M1. I'm trying to prove to myself that I can get by with only micro 4/3 while traveling to great places. Similar shots side by side will help me decide that once and for all. As much as I love the Canon, the weight difference is making me root for the Olympus.

• Like Like x 1