3 axis -5 axis stabilisation question

WESO

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark
As a Panasonic user I believe that 5 axis stabilisation is state of the art in terms of the competition. On this basis is the 3 axis system whilst inferior to the 5 competitive with the competition elsewhere ie Nikon/Canon/Sony and Panasonic?

If I purchase a OMD E-M10 and use my lens of choice a Panasonic 45-200 can I switch off the 3 axis system and use the lens based system?

Thanks in advance:smile:

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yes you can choose to use either the body stabilization system, or the lens stab.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
It's hard to compare to the DSLRs, as they all use OIS rather than IBIS. I'm sure they would argue their systems yield superior results.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
On a DLSR, the main advantage of a OIS over an IBIS is that the viewfinder is stabilized.
On a mirrorless camera, the viewfinder can be stabilized with both.

The 3-axis IBIS on the E-M10 is already supposed to be good.
Anyway with an OIS lens, you can choose what you find works best for you. Best of both worlds;)
It may depend on the user.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It's hard to compare to the DSLRs, as they all use OIS rather than IBIS. I'm sure they would argue their systems yield superior results.

No, they don't all use it, just Canon (the inventors of lens based IS) and Nikon. Other than Oly, Sony and Pentax have in-body stabilization. Minolta was the first to introduce in-body if I'm not mistaken, although the E-M5 was the first camera where it started to rival or even exceed the best lens based varieties.

TheRenaissanceMan

Mu-43 Regular
No, they don't all use it, just Canon (the inventors of lens based IS) and Nikon. Other than Oly, Sony and Pentax have in-body stabilization. Minolta was the first to introduce in-body if I'm not mistaken, although the E-M5 was the first camera where it started to rival or even exceed the best lens based varieties.

Sony has in-lens stabilization, as does Samsung.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

sparkin

Mu-43 Regular
The IBIS on the EM-1 is better than the OIS in the Canon 17-85 efs and 70-200 f2.8L lenses. IBIS has come a long way - the version in the EP2 is nowhere near as good.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
The advantage of IBIS over OIS became significant with mirrorless cameras. Previously, OIS was superior when it came to long focal length lenses, as it stabilised the image in the viewfinder, not necessarily improved stabilisation overall. With cameras such as the E system cameras, you couldn't see the stabilisation at work. With the latest stabilisation and EVFs, you the image is visually stable with all focal lengths and much improved.

RDM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sony has in-lens stabilization, as does Samsung.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app
Yes they do have in-lens ALSO!
They use it in the E-mount lenses.
But like someone already mentioned, Minolta first used IBIS in their dSLR's an Sony continued to make the a-mount bodies that way after they took over dSLR production.

sparkin

Mu-43 Regular
The advantage of IBIS over OIS became significant with mirrorless cameras. Previously, OIS was superior when it came to long focal length lenses, as it stabilised the image in the viewfinder, not necessarily improved stabilisation overall. With cameras such as the E system cameras, you couldn't see the stabilisation at work. With the latest stabilisation and EVFs, you the image is visually stable with all focal lengths and much improved.

Yes that sounds about right, and agrees with my experience.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman

Ok, then, "almost all DLSRs you will ever see in the wild use OIS".

rfortson

Mu-43 Veteran

Pentax and Sony offer IBIS. My Pentax K5 and my E-M5 seemed about the same, but I never did a torture test. I just know they both help keep me steady. I've never used Sony.

Swandy

Mu-43 Veteran
Can't comment on the Panasonic lenses with OIS (the only ones I had did not have it) but I currently have the EM10 with the 3-Axis and had the EM5/EP5 (5-Axis) before that. The two Axis that were "axed" were horizontal and vertical shifting. Much more important for video than stills - and when shooting video, there is an additional digital IS added to make up for the missing two axises. And it works very well. I have not felt that I miss the difference between the 5-Axis and 3-Axis since changing cameras.

Art

Mu-43 All-Pro
Can't comment on the Panasonic lenses with OIS (the only ones I had did not have it) but I currently have the EM10 with the 3-Axis and had the EM5/EP5 (5-Axis) before that. The two Axis that were "axed" were horizontal and vertical shifting. Much more important for video than stills - and when shooting video, there is an additional digital IS added to make up for the missing two axises. And it works very well. I have not felt that I miss the difference between the 5-Axis and 3-Axis since changing cameras.
How about IBIS noise, is it quieter on E-M10?

sushi

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Syukri
How about IBIS noise, is it quieter on E-M10?

I've never tried the E-M1 or E-M5 for comparison, but so far I haven't notice any noticeable sound/hum from the IBIS on my E-M10.

sushi

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Syukri
You can select between the in-body stabilization or lens stabilizer as you please. I've never tried the 5-axis stabilization before, but I can get a sharp image with a 1/15s exposure using the Olympus 45mm and E-M10 handheld, so I'm happy :smile: Gonna try to push the limits even more next time just for lolz

As a Panasonic user I believe that 5 axis stabilisation is state of the art in terms of the competition. On this basis is the 3 axis system whilst inferior to the 5 competitive with the competition elsewhere ie Nikon/Canon/Sony and Panasonic?

If I purchase a OMD E-M10 and use my lens of choice a Panasonic 45-200 can I switch off the 3 axis system and use the lens based system?

Thanks in advance:smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom