3 axis -5 axis stabilisation question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WESO, Mar 23, 2014.

1. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    As a Panasonic user I believe that 5 axis stabilisation is state of the art in terms of the competition. On this basis is the 3 axis system whilst inferior to the 5 competitive with the competition elsewhere ie Nikon/Canon/Sony and Panasonic?

If I purchase a OMD E-M10 and use my lens of choice a Panasonic 45-200 can I switch off the 3 axis system and use the lens based system?

Thanks in advance:smile:

2. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Yes you can choose to use either the body stabilization system, or the lens stab.

3. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    It's hard to compare to the DSLRs, as they all use OIS rather than IBIS. I'm sure they would argue their systems yield superior results.

4. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    On a DLSR, the main advantage of a OIS over an IBIS is that the viewfinder is stabilized.
    On a mirrorless camera, the viewfinder can be stabilized with both.

The 3-axis IBIS on the E-M10 is already supposed to be good.
    Anyway with an OIS lens, you can choose what you find works best for you. Best of both worlds;)
    It may depend on the user.

5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The E-M10 IBIS is very good. I only have one Panasonic lens otherwise I would do an IBIS vs. OIS test.

6. WESO

WESO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    Thanks for clarifying the Panasonic lens issue, and the encouraging views on the 3 axis system

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    No, they don't all use it, just Canon (the inventors of lens based IS) and Nikon. Other than Oly, Sony and Pentax have in-body stabilization. Minolta was the first to introduce in-body if I'm not mistaken, although the E-M5 was the first camera where it started to rival or even exceed the best lens based varieties.

8. TheRenaissanceMan

TheRenaissanceMan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    Sony has in-lens stabilization, as does Samsung.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

9. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    The IBIS on the EM-1 is better than the OIS in the Canon 17-85 efs and 70-200 f2.8L lenses. IBIS has come a long way - the version in the EP2 is nowhere near as good.

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The advantage of IBIS over OIS became significant with mirrorless cameras. Previously, OIS was superior when it came to long focal length lenses, as it stabilised the image in the viewfinder, not necessarily improved stabilisation overall. With cameras such as the E system cameras, you couldn't see the stabilisation at work. With the latest stabilisation and EVFs, you the image is visually stable with all focal lengths and much improved.

11. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Yes they do have in-lens ALSO!
    They use it in the E-mount lenses.
    But like someone already mentioned, Minolta first used IBIS in their dSLR's an Sony continued to make the a-mount bodies that way after they took over dSLR production.

12. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Yes that sounds about right, and agrees with my experience.

13. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The statement pertained to DSLRs, not mirrorless.

14. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Ok, then, "almost all DLSRs you will ever see in the wild use OIS".

15. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Pentax and Sony offer IBIS. My Pentax K5 and my E-M5 seemed about the same, but I never did a torture test. I just know they both help keep me steady. I've never used Sony.

16. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Can't comment on the Panasonic lenses with OIS (the only ones I had did not have it) but I currently have the EM10 with the 3-Axis and had the EM5/EP5 (5-Axis) before that. The two Axis that were "axed" were horizontal and vertical shifting. Much more important for video than stills - and when shooting video, there is an additional digital IS added to make up for the missing two axises. And it works very well. I have not felt that I miss the difference between the 5-Axis and 3-Axis since changing cameras.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    How about IBIS noise, is it quieter on E-M10?

18. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    What do you mean by noise?

19. sushi

sushi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2013
    Brunei
    Syukri
    I've never tried the E-M1 or E-M5 for comparison, but so far I haven't notice any noticeable sound/hum from the IBIS on my E-M10.

20. sushi

sushi Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2013
    Brunei
    Syukri
    You can select between the in-body stabilization or lens stabilizer as you please. I've never tried the 5-axis stabilization before, but I can get a sharp image with a 1/15s exposure using the Olympus 45mm and E-M10 handheld, so I'm happy :smile: Gonna try to push the limits even more next time just for lolz