3:2 Framing in viewfinder.

Lukeylight

Mu-43 Regular
What's the easiest way to frame 3:2 in 4:3 mode. It's a shame there are no guides in the viewfinders of the Em1ii, Em5ii, or 10ii.
Anyone know of a solution?

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
The E-M1.3 manual has this:
Choose the ratio of width to height for pictures according to your intent or your goals
for printing or the like. In addition to the standard aspect (width-to-height) ratio of [4:3],
the camera offers settings of [16:9], [3:2], [1:1], and [3:4].
1 Press the Q button to display the LV super control
panel.
2 Use FGHI to select [Aspect].
3 Use the front dial to select an option

I don't know whether the EVF display changes to reflect that or not. The manual also states:

JPEG images are recorded at the selected aspect ratio. RAW images are the same size
as the image sensor and are recorded at an aspect ratio of 4:3 with a tag indicating the
aspect ratio selected. A crop indicating the selected aspect ratio is displayed when images
are played back.

Lukeylight

Mu-43 Regular
The E-M1.3 manual has this:
Choose the ratio of width to height for pictures according to your intent or your goals
for printing or the like. In addition to the standard aspect (width-to-height) ratio of [4:3],
the camera offers settings of [16:9], [3:2], [1:1], and [3:4].
1 Press the Q button to display the LV super control
panel.
2 Use FGHI to select [Aspect].
3 Use the front dial to select an option

I don't know whether the EVF display changes to reflect that or not. The manual also states:

JPEG images are recorded at the selected aspect ratio. RAW images are the same size
as the image sensor and are recorded at an aspect ratio of 4:3 with a tag indicating the
aspect ratio selected. A crop indicating the selected aspect ratio is displayed when images
are played back.
Interesting, I want to frame on 3:2 but use the 4:3 size. This is useful for weddings. So my issue is I have to allow for cropping as if I was printing 5x7 prints from the days of film.

Lukeylight

Mu-43 Regular
Yes, EVF can be changed to 3:2, easily. It's on the Super Control Panel.
Yes, but it will crop at that. I only want guides for the aspect ratio. If for instance you shoot a wedding and you fill the 4:3 frame and bride wants a 8x12 print you will lose top and bottom of frame. If you have a 3:2 mask or guide you can print both sizes without loss.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Yes, I dont want to shoot 3:2, just viewfinder guide.
Yes, I understand that now. I was just asking whether there was a separate setting on the SCP, because @WaltP kind of implied that there was (maybe what you want!) by saying what I had already said (number 1 in that list is to use the SCP).

Have you tried changing the aspect ratio on the SCP as stated above? I mean, does the EVF display still show 4:3 even after you set the setting to 3:2? I am asking because if the EVF shows what you want you could then use the RAW files for anything you need, because they are always full-size.

Lukeylight

Mu-43 Regular
Raw is always 4:3 as shown in RAH's post. Shoot Raw+jpg and you frame for 3:2, but get the extra in Raw.

Or, from the "old days" - "shoot loose".
Or, from the "really, really old days" - tape the finder.
Agree, shame they don't provide those 3:2 guides for pure Jpg shooters.
It's, a pain for wedding shooters. If I have face af on, the center of the face is the top mask, and I have another point of reference on the bottom of the frame. I'm finding lightroom crops the Raw to the 3:2 aspect ratio. So I am looking for a work around.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
You could try changing the GRID SETTING in the display:
Choose the type and color of framing grid displayed in the
viewfinder when [Off] is selected for [Grid Settings] > [Apply
Settings to EVF] in [wheel] Custom Menu D3 R and [Style 1] or
[Style 2] is selected for [EVF Style]. Choose the framing grid
from [w], [x], [1], [y], [X] or [x
]

There is a 16:9 available, but perhaps only shows when you are shooting movies.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I tried changing the grid display (YIKES! hard to find!!) and the 16:9 grid setting does appear in regular non-movie mode. Isn't 16:9 pretty close to 3:2 (or at least closer than 4:3)? Edit - actually, 16x9 is considerably wider than 3:2, so it wouldn't be much use. Oh well.

Last edited:

alan1972

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Alan Grant
I'm finding lightroom crops the Raw to the 3:2 aspect ratio.
Is there an option to change the crop from "As shot" to "Original"? (I seem to remember something like this but I don't have access to Lightroom right now to check).

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
Try an "old fashioned" method.
Use a cardboard cutout of the desired ratio.
Even back in the film days, when we shot with 35mm or 6x6, and someone wanted an 8x10 or 5x7 (two different ratios), we had to deal with a different format than what we shot with.
Some of the 6x6 guys would put grease pencil lines on their screen. Us 35mm guys had to use the cardboard cutout.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Try an "old fashioned" method.
Use a cardboard cutout of the desired ratio.
Even back in the film days, when we shot with 35mm or 6x6, and someone wanted an 8x10 or 5x7 (two different ratios), we had to deal with a different format than what we shot with.
Some of the 6x6 guys would put grease pencil lines on their screen. Us 35mm guys had to use the cardboard cutout.
You mean use it on the LCD screen on the back of the camera?

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
I'm finding lightroom crops the Raw to the 3:2 aspect ratio. So I am looking for a work around.
Lightroom knows you set it to 3:2 when shot so shows you that; but if you go into the crop tool you will find the full 4:3 Raw is still available for re-cropping however you fancy.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
You mean use it on the LCD screen on the back of the camera?

Ha, I'm still stuck in the viewfinder, I'm not a back screen guy. Except for overhead and LOW angle shooting.
So I did not think of a grease pencil on the back screen.
Actually I would put a screen protector on, and grease pencil on the protector.

Latest threads

Top Bottom