Featured 3,100+ images spread across 13,000+ tiles

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by KBeezie, Apr 7, 2017.

1. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    When printed at 300 DPI, each square is a little under an inch square (~0.7"). All the images I already had in web-sized resolution (900x600 to 1920x1440) on my hard drive that I've shot in Michigan since 2004. The final resolution is 98.42 inches by 65.5 inches @ 300 DPI, or 580 megapixels ( 29,526 x 19,652)

Vast majority of the images were taken on micro-4/3rd be it my Olympus E-P3 or my current E-M5 Mk1 (anything older than 2011 would likely be either my Canon Digital Rebel 300D 6.3 Megapixel, or the Pentax K10D).

Click images to see them larger as I have them embedded at 1024px wide (original screen captures were about 4,000 pixels wide)

100% view :

SESAILch.

50% view :

iGyiRmYh.

25% view :

aaq2oRPh.

4% of original view :

L2HvnLIh.

The Imgur Gallery : 3,100+ images spread across 13,000+ tiles

Shown at the bottom left is a partial Skyline of Downtown Grand Rapids as seen from Leonard Street bridge. My grandmother and mother shown in the two upper corners. In the top center my oldest son Clark at first birthday (He'll be 10 this June, the first birthday was a big milestone for us as he was born a micro premie at 1Lb 13oz), then my son Karl resting on my mom's shoulder, and Laurence my youngest at a play area just behind my selfie.

The idea being, I may wish to travel and see new places and people, but everything I *need* is here at home. And all the images are memories and connections made between family/friend photographs, and work/events/etc photography.

• Wow Wow x 14
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 8
  2. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    This is pretty cool. Can you explain how you actually combined them together? I assume you actually put a colour layer on top of the whole thing to get the bigger image, but I guess you need to find fitting images somehow?

3. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Mosaizer software, and you can specify the % of colorize and blend. Which I kept lower near 15% to 20% and forced it to use all images in the library.

4. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Kennikins

Kennikins Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2017
    Leigh on Sea Essex UK
    Sorry not a fan! "I thought how could I reproduce this kind of frippery myself (yes fun) but a peice of sortware to do it for me? Oh no!! I might as well give up my GX8 which I only ever use on manual dont you know."...........

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    very cool.

7. Lday54

Lday54 New to Mu-43

Mar 31, 2017
    Wow, what an excellent idea. Must of taken much time. I see you have an Olympus. I just got mine a month ago. Its suppose to do all kinds of neat things. The manual doesn't explain it all. I have a couple of web sites I am following like getolympus, this one, etc.. How do you like yours?

8. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    ?

Not exactly sure what you are implying.

Been using mine (Starting with the Olympus E-P3, if you don't count the Pen-FT half frame SLR from the 1960s) since late 2011. The E-M5 (Mk1) has been my main camera for a couple years now.

The manuals will cover mostly features, where everything is at, but I don't use much of that since I shoot in manual 99% of the time, and tend to manual focus (if I use Autofocus I tend to use the single spot mode). And I shoot in just Raw mode 99% of the time. If Jpeg is used, it's usually Raw+Jpeg for the sake of copying the color rendered by the camera onto the processed raw, handy in special fx situations like infrared where the custom white balance shown on the screen isn't always duplicated over onto the raw when opening it in adobe.

It did take a little time or learning curve for the software itself ( The creative digital toolbox ), but that wasn't too bad, was more a matter of the hours hunting down the already web-sized images I had on my external harddrives I've shot since around 2004, because I didn't want to waste time resizing some of the stuff, and if I had a web sized copy then it was something that was already worthy of sharing online and not something I didn't want seen. The software does pretty well, but you have to tweak it's behavior to get what you might want exactly, since out of the box it won't always use every image in your folder unless you force it.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    A view of it installed during the event before the peak hours.

bKEUyVm.

• Like Like x 6
  10. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast Subscribing Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    @KBeezie@KBeezie

What I found most interesting is how you tied together your sense of place, family, and life history using the pictures you captured where it all happened. Pretty nifty and artistic in my book.

• Agree Agree x 3