1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

$3,000 for 150mm f2.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by uscrx, Aug 28, 2013.

1. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    $3,000 for 150mm f2.8?

Would you pay that much?

For 200mm or 250mm f2.8 maybe. But I'm not sure I can justify $3,000 for 150mm.

I hope Panasonic comes in lower.

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Not a chance I'd pay this, especially with the 40-150mm Olympus lens coming. It's no more complex to build than the Canon 135 f2.0L and that's less than half of that amount. For 3K it'd better be made of unobtanium and come with a pulitzer prize and a Nat Geo contract.

3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I don't see a date on your link, but I think that is an older story/report. I have to agree with Flash in that lens is totally off my radar and the reported Oly 40 - 150 f2.8 is a lens that I will pre-order as soon as it is available.

4. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Panasonic isn't that stupid, though their firesale prices on camera bodies does make you wonder.

5. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I don't think I will buy it right away. I will let the new wear off and the price drop a little.

6. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Come on man, you should know better by now. These sites think "oh hey back in the day Olympus charged such and such for their 4/3 lenses, so that must mean they'll charge more for the new Micro 4/3 lens cause it's new!"

Except no.

Also: old

7. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Does it come with the clear acrylic display box and the under lighting? That'd look cool on my dresser.

8. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    The Olympus 150mm f/2.0 was priced at $2999 at launch (who paid that? I have always seen it only for $2500), but you have to remember, its an f/2.0, and it pairs perfectly with the EC-20 (and I mean perfectly) making a very nice 300mm f/4 prime. So it was actually very versatile.

I seriously doubt Panasonic will aim for that optical brilliance (or the 1.5kg weight), and we don't have any teleconverters.

I will be very surprised if this prime retails for more than 3 figures half a year after launch. Quite frankly, neither 150mm nor f/2.8 are a big deal.

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    No, I wouldn't, but the author of that article doesn't understand how international pricing works. He takes the rumored UK price and applies exchange rates to get US / Canada pricing, but that's rarely accurate.

And, of course, the entire thing is nothing but a rumor. Let's wait for some real information before we start going off.

10. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    While the 40-150mm will be a great option, there are still three reasons why it might not kill this lens:

1) Primes are usually sharper than zooms (less complex).
    2) Primes usually have better transmission (T-stops) than zooms at the same aperture (F-stops).
    3) This will likely have IS, which is important for most current Panasonic body owners.

(1) and (2) aren't always true, but are more often than not. It will be interesting to see how they go with (3), since the GX7 now has IBIS. Will all future Panny bodies? Just the premium ones?

11. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Agreed except no1. The Canon 70-200 is as sharp as the primes at the same aperture. The Old Olympus f2 zooms were ridiculous due to the inbuilt speedbooster technology. It's entirely possible this lens will be as sharp as the Panny prime. Not absolute. But possible. And Olympus make generally great lenses.

Part of me is just hoping and praying that Olympus don't stuff this one up. If they get it right the 40-150 @2.8 could be an absolute game changer for the system.

Gordon

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I wonder what it too will cost? :smile:

13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    2 legs and an arm.

14. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I can't see that price for that lens. Panasonic would be stupid to try it! Of coarse they have tried some stupid things before. My guess would be $1500, maybe a little more.

It is going to have some serious competition from the Olympus 40-150mm f2.8. It will need to be as cheap or cheaper than the Olympus. If the IQ is much better than the Olympus then it might command a slight premium. But most people{myself included} find a zoom of the same max aperture far more versatile.

15. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Well, that's why I used "might" and "usually" with the exact exceptions that you pointed out in the back of my mind. They are, or at least to date have been, the exceptions. They have also been very expensive. It is possible that the Oly lens will be just as sharp, but my point was simply that there is reason why it might not be.

16. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Well, the 150 is likely to be quite a bit smaller than the zoom, and will have OIS, which will add some value. But I agree that it probably can't be a lot more expensive than the Oly. Of course, we don't know what that zoom will cost, either. Maybe they'll both be $3,000!

17. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Wow, what a price! No, I would definitely no pay that. Why? Well, I'm sure it's a great lens, but I have a couple 135mm's that are fine lenses as well. There are just not that many instances where I could use it. The zoo and that's about it.

18. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Well, this is great news, I waiting game has ended...
    Just put my hand on a used 4/3 50-200mm and with the promise of faster focusing with the new bodies, I'll be all set...

19. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Maybe it was my copy but the 70-200mm @ f/2.8 apertures were noticeably softer than any prime I shot. Its a great lens... even at f/2.8 and improves drastically 1-2 stopped down. But no... to say as sharp as the primes is something I can't agree with.

If you are talking about 200mm prime... which one? there's only three. One is fairly old 200mm f/1.8 with older optics but f/1.8 is a big advantage. I borrowed one.. OMG.. that was nice. Then there is the 200mm f/2.8 L from the 1991 is also older optic. The last one, 200mm f/2L would be hard to imagine although I haven't had the pleasure of shooting with it.

I think the point.. is in general (like most of the time) the zoom will not be as sharp as an equally quality prime. One example doesn't invalidate the general.

It think this is great news. $3000 USD. Depending on samples and reviews, I say is worth it.