2x Digital Teleconverter

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by toyanucci, Oct 13, 2014.

1. toyanucci

toyanucci Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2014
    I've known of the 2x digital teleconverter on my E-M1 since I got it, and actually programmed Fn2 to activate it, but I didn't actually take any kind of test shots till just now and I must say I am very impressed!

25mm f1.8

25mm f1.8 with 2x digital tc

45mm f1.8

45mm f1.8 with 2x digital tc

Comparing the 25mm with dtc to the 45 without, though it may not be clear, the image of the 25mm is a little softer (if you pixel peep down to 1:1) but still looks amazing! These are also SOOC jpegs which I simply watermarked in LR.

I ordered a refurb 75mm which I will get my hands on when I return home next weekend! I wonder what how it compares with 2x dtc to the new 40-150mm at the 150mm end...

Anyone else making use of this feature?

• Like Like x 1
  2. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I keep forgetting about this feature, though I did use it in desperation once to get a super-moon shot -- these samples look pretty good, gonna have to try it next time my reach is shorter than I'd like. Thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
  3. toyanucci

toyanucci Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2014
    Yeah, I think most people have tried it with zooms which aren't as sharp as primes so their results are not as good as using a fast sharp prime. If the 75mm works even remotely well using this then I'll be a very happy camper! As I said though, there is clearly some loss of quality but if you frame your shot well so you won't need to crop heavily you can get away with using this feature without many people noticing (for casual photography of course). I just wish it worked as well for video. They have so many pixels on the sensor to be able to get a full 1080p crop 1:1 on the sensor and achieve quite a bit of zoom in the process, but it just doesn't look as good as in photo mode.

4. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    Yes thanks for sharing. I am still trying to learn the camera and this is a nice feature.

5. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    I should try it on my 150mm F2, without my EC20 on see what difference I see.. I never thought of using it over the EC, but who knows maybe its acceptable and may speed it up

6. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I used to, but all it really does is just crop it, and since I shoot RAW only, it doesn't save the jpg.

7. toyanucci

toyanucci Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2014
    Lol. Funny you should mention that as it reminds me that's what used to happen to me before why I thought the feature was useless (which it seems to be if you shoot raw only, but since switching to jpeg it's been more useful indeed.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Mu-43 mobile app

8. tino84

tino84 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2013
    I used it for some shoot with my e-pl5. I find it useful as a "crop preview", as I get better results cropping pic instead of using digital teleconverter

• Like Like x 1
  9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It also changes metering - even though I shoot raw I find it useful for moon shots since it's easier to see what I'm doing.

10. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Actually, we had this discussion in another thread about why the video isn't so good with Olympus' DTC. Olympus seems to use interpolation and scaling for the digital teleconverter. When it takes this 2x output and then compresses it using its poor H.264 compression algorithm to get to 1080p resolution, you get a lot of artefacts.

Panasonic uses a straight 1:1 1080p crop of the sensor for their implementation of the 2x digital teleconverter. When it converts the image to video it doesn't have to discard information to get to 1080p. (Panasonic also uses a much better video codec, which is not necessarily directly related to the teleconverter).

This is similar to how you can get a much better output when shooting video in 4k and downscaling to 1080p in post-production editing software than you can by just shooting 1080p in camera. In camera the software has to reduce information to get to 1080p before compression which can result in artefacts. When you shoot 4k, it uses a straight crop of the sensor, so binning pixels is not needed before compression.

At least this is my understanding of what is happening, although I could not be 100% accurate in some parts.

I have realised that the DTC in video is much worse than shooting JPEG stills when using Olympus cameras. I think there are some more older threads discussing this.