1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

2nd Mu-43 Salon Competition - Architecture

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by grantb, Mar 9, 2012.

1. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

Greetings Mu-43.com shooters and welcome to the second installment of the bi-weekly salon!

The theme for this salon is Architecture. Much like photography, architecture can consist of elements artistic and technical, and is considered at its best when both aspects are strong. As in the last salon, contestants are invited to make as broad (or narrow) an interpretation of this category as they see fit.

For this salon, I would like to emphasize rule #8 in particular:
    8. Please, don´t be shy...Participate and have fun.

and now for the fine print:

Rules:
    1. Either take a picture that matches the nominated theme or select one from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the picture in order to enter it.

2. Upload your entry to your Mu-43 user gallery (all entries must be present in a Mu-43 gallery), which you automatically get if you are registered on the Mu-43 forum, so if you aren`t registered you will need to if you would like to join the fun.

3. To enter your photo after uploading, copy the code in the Linked Image box and paste it into a reply to to this message. You can use the Quick Reply box at the bottom of this page.

4. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement picture that this is what you intend doing.

5. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo challenge, after all!

6. The person who submitted the chosen picture will assume the responsibility of curator and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the Mu-43 Contests and Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. That opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

7. The curator can't enter his or her own salon.

8. Please, don´t be shy...Participate and have fun.

9. Each salon should be open for about two weeks.

This competition ends at midnight Thursday March 22 (UTC/GMT)

• Like Like x 2
  2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Glad to initiate if this counts.
    P1020038.

3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Downtown St. Pete, Florida:
    downtown-9099845-sm.

Olympus E-PL1 + Panasonic 20mm f/1.7

• Like Like x 1
  4. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    6966338435_837d5f1ef1_z.
    Atlantis Resort in Nassau, Bahamas.
    EPL1 + 14-42mm II R

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Here is mine ..

P3200105.

6. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    GF1 +20mm

GF120mmPolLacGardenCottage.

• Like Like x 2
  7. OEPL1-PA150531-PR.

St John's Cathedral, Brisbane
    E-PL1 + Lumix G 20mm f1.7

• Like Like x 12
  8. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Strong sun on corner section of external metal cladding of the Hotel Aria. Las Vegas.

Canada-_strip_minimal.

• Like Like x 13
  9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Question: Do the images need to have been taken with an m43 camera?

10. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    20120306_0023.
    GF1, 12mm 2.5

• Like Like x 6
  11. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Can we add another rule? "Identify the building / location in your shot."

I know it's nitpicky, but that would be info that's nice to know :biggrin:

12. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Old State House, Boston, MA

Boston.

• Like Like x 6
  13. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    2nd and Lombard, Philly?

14. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    6412635243_85246fe7c8_b.

Renaissance/Tower City - Cleveland

E-PL1 + Fujian 35mm f1.7

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  15. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Yale-Art-Gallery-Stair.

Stairwell, Yale Museum of Art. Architect: Louis Kahn, built between 1951 and 1953.

The Yale University Art Gallery was the first significant commission of Louis Kahn and his first masterpiece, replete with technical innovations. For example, he designed a hollow concrete tetrahedral space-frame that did away with the need for ductwork and reduced the floor-to-floor height by channeling air through the structure itself. Like many of Kahn's buildings, the Art Gallery makes subtle references to its context while overtly rejecting any historical style.

Here we see the stairwell, which is installed in a round concrete shaft, but is triangular. Louis Kahn's last significant work is the Yale British Center which also has a stairwell installed in a concrete shaft. It is literally across the street and is also a wonderful subject.

Though I work at Yale, people are not supposed to have cameras in this building. Really this is because they do not want the exhibits getting flashed. So, being a responsible natural light photographer, I held myself within the spirit of the ban, and did not go into the exhibit areas and did not strobe the stairwell. Nonetheless, unlike many of my photos of the buildings of Yale, this was a complete outlaw job... :cool:

EPL-3 with m.Z 9-18mm @ 11mm

woof!

• Like Like x 7
  16. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    Correct. Also known as Headhouse Square.

17. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Cool, I did not know it was called that, but I always stop into the Dark Horse every time I'm in the city for a pint or two and some fish & chips

18. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Mill City Museum in Minneapolis, Minnesota US. General Mills' original big flour mill, once the world's largest, on the banks of the Mississippi River... across the river was the Pillsbury mill, their big competitor.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/krugorg/6934007783/" title="mill city museum by krugorg, on Flickr">"768" height="1024" alt="mill city museum"></a>
    E-P3 and Oly 12/2

• Like Like x 8
  19. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    I would assume so, this is a m4/3 contest ;)

20. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Saint Boniface church in Milwaukee, WI

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/lukinosity/5886563502/" title="Saint Boniface by Lukinosity (not around much..... too much work), on Flickr">"683" height="1024" alt="Saint Boniface"></a>

• Like Like x 2