1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

2nd Line in New Orleans

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by bluzcity, May 7, 2013.

1. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
  2. the_traveler

the_traveler Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Are you interested in C/C on these?

(still figuring out the protocol of this site)

3. rozza

rozza Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    New Zealand
    Really like these b&w's!

Traveller - what is C/C?

4. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    comment/critique?

5. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

I can about hear them from here! Great. :)

6. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Great! I'd like to see the second one in color, though.

7. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    Thanks for comments everyone. Sure I welcome C & C!

8. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    I think there are two problems with these, first there are so few middle tones that the pictures look very brittle and too highly contrasty. Second, there are too many things around the edges that draw my eye away from what should be the center.

I think they are more coherent if they are cropped to remove some of that distracting stuff - distracting to me at least.

I like simpler images where there isn't a lot around the edge that are centers of itnerest themselves and, more important, to contribute to the actual subject (s).

<a href="http://s93.photobucket.com/user/llorton/media/aaaotherpersons/p1578814002-5lll.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/llorton/aaaotherpersons/p1578814002-5lll.jpg~original" border="0" alt=" photo p1578814002-5lll.jpg"/></a>

<a href="http://s93.photobucket.com/user/llorton/media/aaaotherpersons/p1578814022-5lll.jpg.html" target="_blank">[img]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/llorton/aaaotherpersons/p1578814022-5lll.jpg~original" border="0" alt=" photo p1578814022-5lll.jpg"/></a>

9. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    The bald head kinda ruins the crop on the 1st. Otherwise, a tighter crop even, would be better. The second could go either way. 2 stories. The uncropped displays the claustrophobic nature of the quarter during an event like this. The crop accentuates the 2nd line players. But hey, what do I know?

10. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    There are two things I liked about the 1st, the little boy and the man drinking the 40 out of a bag. I was in a thick crowd and tried holding the camera up and over but it didn't work well. Clearly the bald head really distracts from the picture. I'm ok with my crop on the 2nd but can see and do appreciate other perspectives. Contrast is usually mood dependent for me. I go through times when I like heavy, even harsh, then there are times I prefer low contrast. I certainly will take a look at the original, tone it down, and compare the two to see which I like best. Traveler, juangrande, carl and rozza, thanks for taking time to consider these. Peace!

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I agree - the first crop loses two people on the right who are watching the action - which helps draw your eye toward the center. The second crop highlights the musicians but loses the feel of the city. I agree with the comments about tonality, though. :cool:

12. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Brent -The first captured my attention immediately. I too focused on the beer, boy and the left cropped. Love it.