1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

2nd camera

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by woollyback, Feb 7, 2018.

1. woollyback

woollyback Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2015
    Rob
    Folks,

I'm thinking about a second camera that is a take everywhere type of jobbie that's a bit smaller them my EM1. It could also double up when needed to avoid swapping lenses.

Typically for days out or some street type of shooting that would have the 45 or 75 attached without spending a massive amount

IQ has to be the major factor

Any thoughts - what about an EP5 ?

Thanks for any views

Rob

2. I've opted for two EM-10 now I'm back into M43. I used to have the 5 but with similar sensors and huge price difference, I stuck with what I know. Also, instinctively I would know how to operate the 2nd without having to think about it. When I had the 5 I had a fuji as my 2nd camera but it was a nightmare for an old farts brain to think which one was up to his eye and where the controls were :) 

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I know people do not like the new model but the EM10 Mk3 may fit the bill

4. E-P5 works, same batteries as your E-M1. E-M10 Mk2 if you want an EVF.
    You could jump across to a GX85 to get an okay EVF and better video.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    You could get the E-M1 II as your main camera, and then your E-M1 will be your smaller take everywhere camera.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I personally won't buy/use a camera without a built in EVF. I have MK I & II E-M1s and an E-M5 MkII for a smaller lighter body. The E-M1 Mk I may have slightly better AF, but the E-M5 is newer and has a better image processor and better IQ the E-M1. Very clean, low mileage E-M5 MkIIs are selling in the $500 - $600 range. Another advantage of E-M1 & E-M5 pairing is that they use the same battery. The E-P5 also uses the same battery, but the E-M10 doesn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I always tell folks that want a second camera/body for the purpose you described to "double up when needed to avoid swapping lenses" to buy a previously owned version of what they already have. A photographers ability to respond to a given situation is dependent of their familiarity with the tool in hand. Different cameras even those from the same manufacture have the controls located in different positions. You do not want to be hunting around for the ISO control or the aperture control or where is the control that allows me to move the focus point etc. when an opportunity presents itself. While some say they can easily move from one camera to the next I find that hard to believe and my experience as well as that of others indicates that for simplicity of operation both bodies need to be the same. Even when I traveled in the days of film, with one camera loaded with B&W and the other slide film, at which time their was much less disparity of controls between camera manufactures, both bodies were the same and both had 35-70mm lenses though those were from different manufactures they did function the same. Now if you are not going to work the two bodies in conjunction with one another then it really does not matter what you get as long as they use the same lenses because you do not want to carry two different systems. That ends up being a story of exhaustion.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    This question has been hashed and rehashed here for years. The consensus is usually this:
    • If you need a second body for serious shooting, like weddings, it should be identical to your current body for the reasons @CWRailman@CWRailman states.
    • If you want a second body as a toy, anything goes.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yep, 100%.

The photographic choices that I would make as a professional photographer would be far different (and far less pleasant, comfortable and fun for me to use) than the choices that I make as a hobbyist.

For a 2nd body, I would definitely want something that allows me to do something that my other body cannot. Whether that's a body that's weather-sealed, one that can slip easily into a jacket pocket, one that has 4K video, or a different screen articulation, or whatever.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    With respect, I'd like to spin that statement a bit. I am not a professional, but as a tourist/travel photographer I carry two identical bodies. In some situations, like photo safaris in Africa, I shoot both. Typically a 14-140mm on one and a 100-x00 on the other. In other situations the second body is more of a spare in case a body fails, is stolen, etc. But in either case, I have only one menu system to become familiar with, one type of battery to carry and only one type of charger to carry (though two copies for redundancy). So I don't think it's strictly a pro/am question. It is more a use-case question.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    I have 3 cameras that I use, EM1 x2 and EM5. I mostly only use the EM1's but I usually have the EM5 along with either my 14-54 or 7.5mm mounted on it as well as at least 1/2 the grip (sometimes I put the whole grip on). When using the EM5 I have to stop and think sometimes because it lacks the buttons on the front that use and the rear dial is located in a different spot and it frustrates me every time I use the EM5. Enough so that I think I am finally going to retire it and pick up another EM1.

Then again I am huge supporter of muscle memory and important it is in action photography. When using my EM1 I don't even have to think, my fingers just go to wherever it is they need for what ever adjustment my mind decided it needed to make. Unlike my EM5 where I have to pause and think about where something is located or miss the rear dial on the first try because it's not in the same place.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    If you want to stick with Olympus and your not bothered about an EVF for a second body, then the EPL7 is a very good choice. The newer EPL8 isn't any better, but worth considering if you want to buy new.

Both are better than the EP5 in many respects, newer processor etc.

13. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 26, 2011
    My second camera to my EM5 MKII is the EM10 MKII. I have them set up identically. The EM10 is more pocketable and cheaper - much improved over the EM10 MKI. When traveling I take both so I don’t have to change lenses while on the go.

14. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    Kind of hard to do since the EM5 has several more FN buttons and the 2x2 switch.

15. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    Just noticed the EPL9 has just been announced, it has a built in flash which could be handy. Apparently it has the 5-axis stabilisation as well.

Nice to see it has a better grip than the EPL8.

16. HalPAnderson

HalPAnderson Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    Canada
  17. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    3-axis sounds more likely.

I read it on trusted reviews, the same thing happened with the EPL6, it was reported as 3-axis but was actually 2.

18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Completely agree, I used an E-M1 mkI + E-P5 on a vacation several years ago and combination worked very well. But an E-M10 mkII would make a nice smaller setup if you want to stay with Oly and need an EXF. I currently have the GX85 so....

I agree but I'll add an alternative to the need a second body. Many (most?) do subscribe to the identical theory. I did when I shot a pair of D700's. But I have in the past and do currently have complementary bodies. Before moving to FX I shot a D300 and Fuji S5 Pro (Fuji sensor in a Nikon D200 body). Handling and controls were about the same but the Fuji had better colors while the D300 was faster. They were both capable on their own. Now I have a D800 and D750. Both are capable on their own. And with the controls I need at an event, they handle the same as well.

19. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I had the same question as the OP, and because I got a couple of great deals (and I also already owned a VF-2) I ended up buying BOTH an E-P5 and an E-PL7 (paid less than $350 for both of them combined) with the intention of deciding which one to keep. Right now, I find I'm liking the E-PL7 more than the E-P5 due to it's smaller size and lighter weight than the E-P5 - frankly, I'm surprised that I like the E-PL7 more, despite the E-P5 using the same battery as my E-M1 and the E-P5 having 5 axis IBIS vs. 3 axis in the E-PL7.

20. Artaius

Artaius Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2017
    instagram.com
    /jamesartaius
    I messaged Oly UK this morning and they confirmed that it's 3-axis.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.