2nd camera

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by MacBook, May 4, 2013.

1. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I'm looking for an inexpensive 2nd camera after my primary m4/3, something to throw in the bag without worrying too much about it. I have seen a refurbished Olympus XZ-1 and refurbished Olympus E-PL3 (body only) at about the same price. I would use the E-PL3 with the Panasonic 20 or maybe the 14-42 lens, so it would be bigger. Uses would basically be scenery and people.

Any suggestions?
  2. Johnny_Alucard

Johnny_Alucard Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 28, 2013
    Hang on a little while and you might see E-P3 prices drop once the E-P5 is out. I use the E-P3 as my day-to-day camera, the one I take everywhere. It lacks a bit compared to the E-M5 but not that much. With the P20 lens on it it's very compact.
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If the intent is to use them together and you have cash to spare, the best 2nd camera is the same one as your primary.

* No mental switching between cameras
    * Same batteries

I'm starting to see lower priced good used and refurbed OMD E-M5 hitting the market.

If your intent is to compliment each other, then nail down what exactly you are looking for in a 2nd camera.

Example, smaller... I'd go with the E-PM1. Smaller with a tilt screen and slightly better controls... EPL3. Pocketable fixed lens, there is absolutely no reason you need to stick with the Olympus brand. My recommendation would be a high end P&S.. My choice was the Fuji XF1. Video... GH1 or 2 etc...
  4. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    What usay it said :th_salute:

Although the gx1 run-out prices are hard to resist at the moment.
  5. mbbinvt

mbbinvt Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    If you get the XZ-1, you may find you need the electronic viewfinder to be happy. I've got one with my XZ-1 and it makes for a more satisfying P&S experience, especially in bright light or in shooting candids. You can catch your subjects in more candid attitudes if you look down through EVF. People don't seem to notice what you are doing if you don't lift the camera, which makes them less self-conscious.
    You can find a VF-2 used for $150 or less these days. Might be more than you want to have into a 2nd camera, but having a VF-2 will make it so that someday you can pick up a second Olympus camera body that accepts that viewfinder. I'm just saying that having that viewfinder would open up possibilities for you--but that's not necessarily a good thing!