2nd Body

BilboBaggins

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Andy
Hi all,

I currently shoot with a Olympus Pen-F but use this mostly on the monochrome setting as it produces beautifully rendered B&W images.

So to my quandary, what body to accompany the Pen-F..... I am hedging towards Panasonic’s GX8. Slightly larger camera sits well in my hands.

I currently have the Oly 17mm, 45mm & 12-40 Pro and the Panny 14mm and 20mm. I’m looking to aquire the Oly 75mm and another Panny Lens (advice also well received). Any other options for a 2nd body please put forward.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
GX85 with 1/2 case. This make the GX85 close in size to the GX8. It has several updates from the GX8 including a better shutter. And it has a very nice L.Monochrome photo style.

BilboBaggins

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Andy
To carry side by side with the pen, I want to have my 2 go to lens on different bodies.

Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Here are two ideas.
Idea one: simply buy ANOTHER Pen-F body. The Pen-F is a fabulous camera - but if you already like it - AND if you are relatively intimately familiar with its controls, menus, shooting quirks & oddities - then having a 2nd Pen-F body will allow you to shoot with it without ever having to think consciously about controls or settings etc. This might be a huge plus. In the past, when I was in similar situations, it helped me to have 2 identical camera bodies.
Idea two: buy a GX8. Their prices are going down and, honestly, the GX8 has one of (if not THE) best EVF's/electronic viewfinders EVER made for any mirrorless camera, ever. (Confession: I bought a GX8 for exactly this reason and every time I use it, the simple pleasure of being able to frame through such a great EVF is worth its weight in gold.) Also, it's a great camera, period. Well designed, well thought out, easy to shoot with. If it 'fits' your hands - or your shooting style - so much the better.
You can't go wrong with either of the above two suggestions, in my opinion. Pricewise, the GX8 has been discontinued and discounted, so these days, it's a better deal, for buyers; the Pen F cameras and camera bodies have maintained a higher resale value and hence will cost a little more, I think.
And both cameras have wonderful (and I believe identical) 20 Mb sensors (made by Sony).

doogie

Mu-43 Regular
You have quite a few Olympus lenses including the 12-40 pro, how about an Olympus EM10 ii or iii?

Although perhaps you prefer a rangefinder style, in which case the Pen EPL7/8/9 are worth looking at. I suspect the GX85 is a better rangefinder body though.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
To carry along with the Pen-F or simply as alternate choice depending on what you are going to shoot that day?

To carry side by side with the pen, I want to have my 2 go to lens on different bodies.

Idea one: simply buy ANOTHER Pen-F body.

Ya that is why I asked the question. If it is to carry two cameras around then there is a huge benefit to having two of the same models in order to have the same buttons, settings, levers, etc. so when switching back and forth there is no difference to the operator. Assuming of course the cost of a 2nd Pen-F is not out of the question.

On the other hand, if the question was simply to have another different choice when going out, that is a different situation.

So I vote: get a 2nd Pen-F.

Christop82

Mu-43 All-Pro
I would definitely stick with the same system. It would be confusing to be using a pen, then grab a Panny and not have any confusion.
E-M10II seems like the best choice in my opinion, and not just because I have one for sale...

BilboBaggins

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Andy
2nd Body Update....
Although I did consider getting a second Pen-F, I have hand a productive Sunday visiting 3 different camera shops around Cambridge and trying multiple cameras and lens combinations and doing some sharp eBay dealing with someone who lives local. I am now the owner of a 3 month old Gx8 and as a treat to myself a new GH5.

I went with the GH5 as looking to get into video over the coming months.

Now I need a good macro and telephoto lens. So any ideas will be very welcome as I don’t know what’s the best or worst telephoto lens out there.

Latest threads

Top Bottom