2nd Body to OMD E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SpecFoto, Aug 13, 2013.

1. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    OMD-E-M5 shooter here and I love, love it! Have the HLD grip and 2 FL-600R flashes, plus the lens listed in my sig. It is a great setup. I have a D800/D700 with a bunch of top notch Nikkor lenses, and find I use the Nikon gear less and less.

Looking for suggestion on a second M4/3 body, “just in case”. I don't keep up with all of the different Olympic and Panasonic bodies, so I am kinda clueless as to what is out there. My OMD is small enough that 1 can take it, the 17mm f/1.8 and 45 f/1.8 anywhere and I am fine with the size. Great features would be if it used the same battery as the OMD, which means Oly, but then, I have had problems with the OMD and some Panasonic lenses. The 25 f/1.4 just rattled like heck and ate batteries in my OMD, so I returned it (2 copies). The 20mm f/1.7 is a good daylight lens, but my copy has problems with AF and hunting once the sun starts to set. (those problems are non-existent with the Oly 17mm f/1.8) Maybe if I get a Panasonic body I would use the 20mm more or would repurchase the 25mm, as it is a favorite focal length with my D800/D700. So suggestions for either brand are welcome.

Re the cost, I would prefer to spend (much) less than what a OMD costs new ($900 USD) or else I would just buy a second OMD and be done with it. This second body will most likely be used only if I encounter problems with the OMD, so it does not have to be the most current, and costly, edition.

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've got an EPL5 which makes a great 2nd body to the OMD. It's the same sensor so you know the IQ will be great and the menus etc are the same. It's even got a few useful firmware features that the OMD hasn't such as permanent small focus point, MySets assignable to the mode dial and a simple HDR bracket mode.

On the down side - it's not the same battery, it could do with an extra dial, you'll need an external finder if you can't cope with the back LCD panel alone, and it's only to 2 axis IS. However, it's not too expensive, esp used.

For me it's a great back up, and, with the 17/1.8 makes a great go-anywhere camera.

The new GX7 looks nice, but that'll likely be even more expensive than the OMD.
  3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    I'm with pdk42, except I chose the PM2 instead of the PL5. Both are significantly smaller than the OMD but have the same sensor. That might or might not be attractive to you.

If money were no object I might also consider the GX7 or EP5 for a slightly smaller, just-as-capable second body.
  4. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    The panasonic G5, perhaps. At it's current price, it is hard to beat!
    EDIT: price went from $239 to $329 recently.
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If you like the way Oly's menu's work, I'd probably suggest sticking with Oly bodies. I find the Panasonic approach much clearer, but in either case I think switching back and forth would be a nuisance.
  6. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 28, 2010
    The beautiful northwest Georgia mountains
    Dave Jenkins
    The best backup to an OM-D5 is another OM-D5. So just do what I did -- pick up a clean, used OM-D5 body from the classifieds on this site. Works great. And since my first body was silver, I got a black one as backup. Actually, I now find I use the backup more than the original and often carry both with different lenses.
  7. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Thank you Paul, Tom and Juangrande, I will look more into the models you suggested. Meyerweb, I know what you mean, especially since I bring my Nikon gear along to most shoots too. 3 different brands, ieeee….that is asking for trouble.

Dave, this is what I would prefer, getting a second OMD, as it makes everything so simply. (But I am also eyeing a 35-100mm lens and need to save a few $). Now that I have gotten to know the OMD better, and understand how it works, learning another system and/or interface does not make a lot of sense. If and when Oly announces in the next month or so a new OMD body, prices on the existing model should go down a bit. That might be the time to buy a second OMD. And yeah, I have the silver version and would get the black one too.

8. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Exactly!! Real simple.
  9. pbasswil

pbasswil Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    I agree with those guys, if you tend to challenge your ISO capabilities, stick to the same sensor as the OM-D, or you will find low-light work noisier.

PM2 for the simplest, lightest camera, PL5 for more capabilities + tilt screen. Since its just for a backup, look for Olympus refurbs or shop used.

But if you don't care about high ISO, there are some amazing deals available on all manner of less-than-current m4/3 models. Browse the Hot Deals forum from the link in the menu bar, or the Buy & Sell forum.

Look here for capsule summaries of the various models:
    Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Products(Camera Bodies)

DPReview.com has some good reviews too.
  10. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    If you work quick, where the camera is operated on muscle memory, switching between the two is no fun. I second shot a wedding using an OM-D & E-PL5 w/VF-2 and it was a chore because the only camera control that's in about the same place on the two bodies is the shutter button. If you're shooting travel/landscape, or just work in a slow deliberate manner, then another Olympus should work fine.
  11. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I would buy a used G3 or GX1 as you can get pretty incredible prices for them, and they're not outdated at all. Basically just see what's available in the trading folder, I would say. No point buying something new if it's just going to be a backup.
  12. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 28, 2010
    The beautiful northwest Georgia mountains
    Dave Jenkins
    I got my second OM-D5 because I tried shooting a wedding with one in tandem with a Panasonic G3. No fun dealing with two different sets of controls when you're in a hurry! The G3 is a nice little camera, but my long-term commitment is to the OM-D system, so I quickly sold it an picked up a very nice, low-mileage OM-D5 from the forum classifieds.
  13. 13thFloorPhotography

13thFloorPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I would have to agree that a second OMD might be ideal...However, I have been so curious with Sony's SLT line that I opted for an a58 as a backup to my backup gf1
  14. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Dave what you and others said about having to learn a different systems makes a lot of sense.

The key is "long-term commitment". I looked at a bunch of different systems, including keeping my APC sensor Nikons, before deciding on M4/3 to be my lightweight travel system. At that time it was either the OMD or the G3-GH1 and in my mind, no contest. The OMD had some very attractive features and the 12mm f/2 & 45mm f/1.8 f was the icing on the cake. I am kinda surprised how the OMD has grown on me, and now with the addition of 3 other great Oly primes, 17mm f/1.8, 60mm f/2.8 and 75mm f/1.8, I am a very happy camper and forsee using the M4/3 system for a long time. It is lenses after all, and not bodies, that really make a camera system shine. (Do wish Oly made a fast 25mm though).

Even if Oly announces a wiz bang update to the OMD soon, I am not so sure I would buy it, at not least right away, as the OMD is just about perfect for what I use it for. 16MP is plenty, I have learned the idiosyncrasies of the menu system, the HLD6 grip is a great addition and I have invested in 2 additional OEM batteries. Pin point focus would be nice, and I hope for a firmware update there, but in reality the OMD overall is a 9.5 on a scale of 10. But then I don't shoot action sports or in very cold areas requiring gloves, so it works for me, but may not for others.

Adding a 2nd OMD body is the best choice, and is what I will do. I like the idea that I could have, in a portrait session for example, the 45mm on one body and the 75mm on the other. Or, when traveling, the 12mm on one and the 45-175mm zoom on another. If I decide to get the 35-100mm f/2.8 zoom, it, and the 100-300mm on a 2nd body, would be killer for nature/wildlife shooting.

Thanks to all for you input.

15. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    I went with a second OM-D body, which was serendipitous, since my first body's EVF began to give out and it's getting repaired. Now I just need to decide on my next lenses to get and eventually a third, more compact body.
  16. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I think a good backup would be the E-PL2...will have to see for myself!
  17. I have an EP2 as a second body and am happier with it than the OMD.