2nd body for backup/casual?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Whtrbt7, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    So for those mainly using the m43 system, what would you use for a 2nd body? I was considering getting an EP5 to go with my EM1 or even a GX7 but I'm wondering if some are pairing it with a FF 135 format like the Sony A7R, RX1R, or Leica M240. With the voigtlander lenses I feel as though FF135 isn't really needed. I have a waterproof camera just in case but that's not really a backup since it's a point and shoot.
  2. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    I'm currently using the new acquired E-M1 and one of my E-M5's as backup / dive rig cam they both use the same battery / charger and well lenses. Plan to keep the 9-18 wide angle on the E-M5 while ther 12-40 most likely stays on the E-M1 and gets used for Macro. But shall either one die or damage I can use the other without much pain. Less stuff to carry.
  3. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I use a GF5 and a DP1 as 'backup' to my GF1.

I mostly use my GF1 with legacy glass and keep the 14-42mm on the GF5. The DP1 is small enough to use anywhere and I usually pre-focus it from approx 2' to infinity with the aperture closed as far down as light levels will allow for decent DOF.
  4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    To me, if you have an E-M1, what makes the most sense for a 2nd body is a more compact one, like either the Panasonic GM-1 or the Olympus E-PM2. Or perhaps a high quality point and shoot like the Olympus XZ-2 or XZ-10, both of which are currently on sale.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    My primary is a GH2; secondary is a GX1; tertiary is a Canon S120. Then the iPhone 5.
  6. fishtug

fishtug Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    London Ontario
    My main one is an OMD E-M5 and I recently acquired an E-PL5 as a more or less 'always carry' second unit-
    Excellent almost pocketable -
    I also drive an E-1 for really bright sunny days-
  7. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
  8. deejayvee

deejayvee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    I have a GX-7 as my second body, My main is a GH-3.
  9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For micro 4/3rds I generally use two E-PL1s with a set of primes or a single E-M5 with a set of zooms. My primary system are a couple Leica Ms.

When considering a 2nd body, you have to first decide whether you want one that compliments or another body to attach a lens. Those that want a 2nd camera for a second lens generally will be best served by buying the same camera. Same batteries, same charger, same accessories, same post processing workflow, and most importantly, same operation. People don't realize how much having to mental switch can disrupt a fluid workflow having to mentally switch from one camera to a different. Keep it simple.

For complimenting systems, its a bit more free but it does complicate the experience... so I generally advise that people should "really think" about the intent of the purchase. Is it really just G.A.S.? or some inherent need that is not met by the current system. Or a situation of different tools for different jobs?

For me, i really enjoy shooting my Leica M.... it cannot be easily substituted. Yet, there are certain things that a rangefinder is not the best tool... things that are better suited for zooms, macros, and telephotos. For that, I sometimes will carry a single M (24mm + 50mm) paired with the E-M5 35-100 f/2.8. etc... This is the few cases in which I find myself carrying two different cameras. In general, I find the two E-PL1s or two Leica Ms feel natural (or pack light and carry 1 camera). Even prior to micro 4/3rds, I had a couple 1dmarkIIs and a single 5D.... and the two 1d bodies definitely were my preference.

Reason why i am saying this is because the original post mentions, E-P5, GX7, E-M1 then moves on to FF Sony A7R (mirrorless), RX1R (fixed lens compact), and Leica M240 (rangefinder). I also disagree that a P&S is "not really a backup". The decision thought process is all over the map! The three FF cameras mentioned are not even the same "type" of camera; each lending itself to a different method of shooting (A7.. EVF DSLR like, RX1R rear LCD, M240 is completely manual rangefinder). Generally means a selection process in which one is pondering over the selection of tools without actually identifying what they will be used for.

If you nail down what you are going to do with the 2nd camera, I bet the decision becomes a whole lot easier.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    EM5, EP5, GX7. I'm an impulsive type of person I guess :biggrin: I don't know which is primary or secondary or tertiary. I wanted the EP5 form but the GX7 showed up at a bargain price. Of course, within days the EP5 with EV4 was offered at a substantial discount, so.....
    They are all fine cameras and quite different from each other. For now I find myself carrying the EP5 and GX7 in my bag along with a few lenses. Can't decide which to sell :confused:
  11. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    The G.A.S. is strong in this thread. ;)

I think first and foremost, you have to ask yourself *WHY* you need a backup.

Personally, I've been shooting professionally and for fun for the past 10 years or so. I used to have SECOND bodies (so when I was shooting news or weddings I wouldn't have to change lenses so much), but I've never once needed a back-up body. Despite shooting tens of thousands of frames a year, I've never had a camera go down during a shoot (or, ever, actually). *knock on wood*

Just my two cents...figure out IF you need a backup...and then figure out WHAT you need it for...and then look around. :)
  12. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    I use a EM5 as my primary and a EPL1 as my secondary / backup.

For 2 camera bodies setup, I would have EM5 + 25/1.4 or 17.5/0.95 and EPL1 + 12/2 or 45/1.8. If not I jus stick the 12-40mm on my EM5 and the 25mm on my EPL1 (as backup, use this mainly when I am on holiday).

I woulf advise if u are already using a EM1, getting a EM5 would make be good as its similar ergonomics and share the same battery.

Sent from my trusty Samsung Galaxy Note 2
  13. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    I have. Once, since 1998. They say lightning never strikes the same place twice and all that, but if I'm working, I usually have a spare nearby just in case. However I just traveled half way across the state last weekend to shoot an event. Didn't think to take a backup, and didn't even realize I didn't think about it until this thread. Maybe I'm a bit too comfortable with the E-M1 as my workhorse. :)

As for what kind of backup I would use, I (usually) carry a Canon 6D with me as a backup (only because I already owned it), but that means carrying a second battery charger and batteries, different lenses, different flashes, etc. It's a pain really. If you're in the market for a true backup, get something that uses the same lenses at the very least, and batteries if you want even less frustration.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    I came from a Canon system and had 3x 5D3s. The entire kit was really heavy and it was a pain to carry it around to shoot. During that time I figured out that I really prefer to shoot a single body and just switch out the lens. The settings on a second body always threw me off because I could remember which side had what settings. So part of me says that I should go with a cheaper m43 body for a backup or even another EM1 for the sake of continuity. The other part of me is telling me to go with something a little more different so I don't get confused with the settings. Going with one of the FF135s would mean carrying more stuff but would give me a different look. They all shoot differently but that would be the point of such an addition. Going with something smaller like a GM1 or EPM2 were high on my list but then, it's pretty much like having the same thing but with a lot less ability to change settings. Besides just a camera for backup, I'm thinking I could kill 2 birds with one stone and have a secondary camera that is decently different. In the past I've had 2 shutter failures, water damage, and several lens failures. The point and shoot doesn't exactly get the same job done so that's kind of a last ditch effort in case all else fails.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    From experience...I would say go with a body that shares as much as possible (cards, chargers, batteries, remotes) with your main body.

When I shot multiple bodies, that was my aim, and it really helped cut down on the amount of junk I had to carry around. (For this reason, for a while I had a Canon 30D, a 20D and a 10D, then sold the last two and bought another 30D, so I had twins haha). Having your fingers fall instinctively on the right controls as soon as you grab the body is a HUGE advantage (I was working in news, so a split second could mean everything), as was being able to carry 5-10 Canon BP-511As and knowing that they'll fit any camera I happened to have on me. Same with remotes, cards, chargers, etc...just something to consider.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    I agree with the above, go for identical or near identical bodies, for ease in switching ergonomics and sharing of accessories / lenses.

I'd also agree with another poster that my cameras overall have been very reliable. I've had issues, but either the camera remained usable (Vacation - Canon T90 - had to reset it after every shot). I also had an OM-3/4Ti combo, which worked well at the time , one B&W one color. on one outing the 4Ti jammed and the 3 came to the rescue.

I also hate changing lenses - dust and dirt are enemies, and often it disrupts my routine (however marginal that is) , I'd rather grab an identical body with a different lens than change'em.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    It really depends on your style of shooting and your lifestyle.

I used to carry extra bodies because I was paranoid of dirt/dust/etc.

Now, I switch lenses more than ever (in part thanks to the fact that M4/3 lenses are so light/tiny, I'm waaaaay more likely to carry extras than back in my DSLR days) and I've yet to see a dust spot on my OM-D.

Also...modern cameras are ridiculously reliable. Look at the testimonies on this thread. Honestly, I wouldn't bother with an extra body for the sake of insurance. You've got a far better chance of your car tossing the transmission on the way to a gig or being T-boned by a bus. ;)

But...your style of shooting may be different than mine. I backpack/hike/travel a ton, and simplicity, light weight, and space savings are extremely important to me. If they're not as important to you, my advice will likely be less relevant. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I will go along with the second body the same makes life easier from point of batteries etc and being able to set both up the same, for that reason I got a second G3 though more as a spare if number 1 goes down. I usually carry an old Ricoh GX100 when I travel as another option it is tiny and the only digital 12/24mm option I have. But then there is the option of a body that gives you something others do not but for me that would be a very different sensor like the old Fuji super CCD or Foveon. If cost is a factor then looking for one of the great bargains would be an option, I have seen G1's go for £50 G3's for south of £100 and the G5 is at bargain prices now but I would only do this if I was gunning something like the GH3 as the main cam.
  19. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I have two approaches: if you really want a 'backup' - which in most cases, for a non-pro, I consider total and utter overkill - I would go with the same body as the primary, if you can swing it, or otherwise at least something that shares the same battery if at all possible (e.g. an E-M1 primary, and E-M5 or E-P5 'backup'). Until now, I've always taken two cameras on longer trips (the 'primary' being an E-M5, the 'backup' being an RX100, which actually fills a different role, i.e. always with you, even out on the town).

My current choice for travel (if I'm just out for a day or weekend, this doesn't generally apply) is a 'primary' all-rounder in the shape of the E-M1, and a complementary body in the form of the A7R with a pair of primes for landscape/high megapixel density/ decent light people photography (the pixel density means I prefer a shutter speed over 1/100, and always prefer keeping ISO lower rather than higher, even with the excellent performance of the A7r sensor...and the two Zeiss/Sony FE lenses are really something special...). And the RX100 because it's tiny. If I head out to really remote/particularly harsh environments with a higher risk of equipment failure, and where I want a backup to make sure the glass I have is still functional, I will tend to opt for a second copy of the primary body - for Antarctica, that meant buying a second 5D mark II, and selling it again when I got back. Basically 'rented' it for a hundred bucks or so, and had the advantage of having two identical bodies (set up the same, working the same, full familiarity with both, same accessories) that I knew inside-out. I'm still pondering whether a second E-M1 is 'necessary' for my African Safari trip - the answer is probably not, but will depend on whether I can maybe pick one up second hand nearer the date, and sell it again after the trip. On the other hand, I'd rather not add that pound of weight to my luggage :)
  20. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I've struggled with the idea of a 2nd body for a while now. I normally travel very light, mainly just check-on luggage for 1-2 month trips, so I've always considered it as not worth the effort. But, I'm currently planning a trip to Vietnam, Cambodia, and China, and I'm wondering if getting a GM1 would be worth it if it's only real purpose would be to fill in on the rest of the trip should something happen to my GX7. The more I think about it, the more I think it would be a GAS purchase, and not really all that useful.