2filter.com recommends against step up/down rings?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by bobby_t1, Sep 3, 2012.

1. bobby_t1

bobby_t1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Just noticed this on 2filter, my go-to website for filters:

*Important Info on Circular Polarizers: For years 2filter has suggested to purchase step up rings to avoid buying double the number of expensive filters. This made sense especially with the original much thicker old style circular polarizers. Now that all the filter makers have made the mounting rings as tiny as possible and they are getting even thinner. The mounting rings are so slim, if you get a step up ring stuck on your CP filter you may not get the two apart. 2filter’s new advice in 2012 especially on thin circular polarizers is to purchase a separate one for each different mm size lens mount you want to use a cpl on. We ourselves now have a B+W 72 to 77 step up stuck on a slim 77 circular and just can’t them apart. Not the first time it has happened to us, maybe a tiny speck of sand got in the filter threads and now is acting like a break. Freezing the stuck filters sometimes help but not this time, neither did the filter wrenches.​

This isn't the first time I've heard of a polarizer getting stuck on a step up/down ring, but I've never read a universal recommendation against using them. The idea of buying a polarizer or circular ND (and juggling with them in the field) makes me shudder.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

2. TDP

TDP Guest

Step up rings are cheap, a good cpl is not.

I've never had one hard stuck but that doesn't mean my time isn't coming. When it happens I plan to use a dremel with cutting disk to to cut a notch into the step up ring then it should come off with a little work.

I had a co-worker drop his 5DII with 16-35 II L on the ground. It fell lens first. He had a B&W clear filter on the end and it bent hard. We ended up cutting it off the same way as above. An 82mm B&W filter isn't cheap, either :)

The dumb &$^@^ should not have dropped it.

3. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I have been in sand, grit, etc. with some of my gear and gotten grit on threads. I carry two rubber bands for the specific purpose of getting the filters/adapters off of each other/lenses. Just put a rubber band around each part and twist; has worked every time for me.

Of course, I haven't ever dropped a camera with an L-series lens before...a clever trick can't correct that. Requires a psychologist or whipping post IMHO :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I have a friend who photographs motels, etc. for brochures and websites. He was working for a motel and was being "helped" by a zealous employee who insisted upon helping to lug equipment. My friend screwed up and didn't latch a case after setting it down and removing some of his gear. The "helper" picked up the case - sending an "L" lens to the floor and resulting in an expensive repair. Definitely vote for the whipping post! :biggrin:

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  6. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Oh, my...I think I just threw up a little....:eek:

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Personally,
    I don't use "step" filters - I'd rather use the specific mm size.

8. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    My reaction is -- They're in the business of selling filters, so what do you expect them to recommend? "Stop using step-up rings; Buy more filters". Makes sense to me (from their perspective....)

:rofl: