1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'$299 USD=New E-P2 Body'

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RT_Panther, Oct 10, 2011.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    • Like Like x 1
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I can't believe they still have some of these bodies. Great deal!

3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    everytime i see a version 1 of a camera on sale, i work my way up to an epl2, and then its always only another $50 for an epm1... and then i just give up on getting a second body
    lol

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    1) Sensor is still the same (minus a couple of "tweaks") :wink:
    2) Makes for a great IR conversion body :smile:

5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Hmmmm... so I have this E-P2 body sitting here. I kinda decided to keep this around because it was worth more to me as a backup (and extra battery, charger, cables, etc.) than I would get for resale. Now you have me thinking IR!

6. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    DIY?

I can't even begin to justify spending ~$500 to get it done properly.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Well....regardless of justification, there are folks out there with MFT converted IR bodies. :smile:

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Unless you're WAY into IR photography, I don't see the point. I bought a great Hoya IR filter. It was $75. the images were great, but how often will I shoot IR.....you have to be passionate about it to justify the expense in my opinion. I ended up selling the filter.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Variety...
    Something different...
    Shoot outside your comfort zone....

Expense is relative to income and fun factor :smile:

But of course, IR isn't for everyone :smile:

11. Amrak

Amrak Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 7, 2011
    Seattle, Washington
    Wow, how does this camera compare to the E-PL1?

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    If you don't have the E-PL1, personally I'd lean towards this one...:smile:

13. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well I'd be getting it for my niece to use for walk around with me as well. And shedmbe coming from a nikon Dslr. I think even shed notice the older bodies slow performance issues.

Spoiled! Lol

- Eliot

14. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Like a fisheye lens, kinda

- Eliot

15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Good for us. Not so great for Olympus. E-P2 was discontinued more than 3 months ago and they still have loads of unsold stock.

On the bright side, the E-PL1 and E-PL2 are also looking discontinued. Maybe that means E-PM1 prices will start dropping?

DH

16. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Running 3 new bodies, of course the E-pl1/2 are already out of the manufacturing process. Until their warehouse supply is depleted the cameras don't get marked as discontinued - that word invites an expectation of final discount pricing, which Olympus (like any other brand) would like to stay away from!

17. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Well, back in the bad old days of the summer of 2010, I had an EPL1, bought an EP2, used both for a little over a month, and then sold the EPL1. Its all personal preference - the sensor and IQ are very similar, as they are with the new round of Oly cameras. But I could never get comfortable with the all-button controls on the EPL1. The two wheels on the back of the EP2 just made all of the difference to me. Even one of them would have been fine (I recently chose the EPL3 over the EP3 despite lacking the thumb-wheel), but having to push multiple buttons to even change aperture in aperture priority mode was more than my little brain could handle. Even once I'd gotten used to it, I hated it. And the EP2 felt INSTANTLY more intuitive.

The upside to the EPL1 was the built-in flash. Some preferred the IQ, but it was so close (maybe a slightly weaker AA filter?) that the differences were apparent only at the outer reaches of pixel peeperie. Both are slow in terms of AF and shot to shot time, neither had a rear screen that was worth much in bright light, neither had a tilt screen (all HUGE improvements to the new lineup, IMHO), but between the two, I'd grab the EP2 every time.

-Ray

18. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm one that chose the E-PL1 over the E-P2. The following were my reasons

* Dedicated magnification button for manual/legacy lenses. The magnification feature is buried in several keystrokes on the E-P2 interface.
    * I found the IQ of the E-PL1 a wee tiny bit better; Digital Cameras, Digital Camera Reviews - The Imaging Resource! provided the "still-life" samples at ISO 400 and 800. In particular the cloth textures rendered of the fan of cloth swatches in the upper left hand corner.
    * cheaper price meant that I can put the money towards VF-2 attachment which is a must IMO for manual focus.

I do wish the E-PL1 had dials though.... An E-P2 for $300 is EXTREMELY tempting. Also the E-P2 looks much nicer.

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    So here's the million dollar thought:
    If Olympus is still making a profit at $299 USD, just imagine how much Olympus was making at the initial issue price! :biggrin:

20. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Yeah anyone who bought one of the Pen bodies at 900$ should be annoyed. I bought my E-P1 at a decent price of 550$ (2 years ago?) when the E-P2 came out..I'm surprised how fast the value has dropped already. Oh well, won't be too long til the E-P3 drops and tempts me hehe.