28-35mm purchase question

carrots99

Mu-43 Rookie
Hello,

I'm thinking on purchasing a 28-35mm lens but I'm in doubt of what should be the best bet, considering sharpness, build quality, bokeh, and what would be the best choice for street, landscape and travel photography.

The ones I checked and that I thought would be the best are the following:

- SMC Takumar 28mm f3.5
- Meyer Optik Gorlitz Lydith 30mm f3.5
- Steinheil Munchen Culmigon 35mm f3.5
- Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f2.8
- Mir-1 37mm f2.8

Thoughts?

You don't mention your budget.
  • The Sigma 30mm f1.4 is highly reviewed and respected and has auto-focus. It is well known that Sigma has actually designed some of the best lenses in the micro four thirds system for Olympus and for Panasonic because Sigma has filed patent applications for their optical designs.
  • The 7Artisans 35mm f1.2 is a manual focus lens that is a modern replica of a vintage lens. The advantage is that you can buy it in MFT lens mount and thus forgo an adapter.
  • In terms of legacy glass, the Olympus OM 35mm f2.8 is no slouch. Back in the day, many professional photographers had OM lenses adapted to their Nikon or Canon camera because they were better than what Nikon or Canon produced.
  • Pentax Takumar and Minolta Rokkor also produced superb lenses.
For what its worth, I own the Sigma 30mm and the 7Artisans 35mm.

carrots99

Mu-43 Rookie
I was thinking of vintage lenses, and my budget for now would be up to 100€ I would say.

The Olympus OM I read that it suffers a lot from not having multi-coating, altough I believe that using a hood would minimize any kind of issues like this.

So, in terms of native micro 43 lenses, that are a little bit more expensive, that would eventually be a next step.

Thanks

Flektogons are pretty coveted on the used market. I don't know what it is like in your country, but it might be hard to find one under your budget.

I'm a sucker for Super Takumars, but the 28 3.5 I have doesn't get that much use. Although I am satisfied when I do use it. I think they can be found pretty cheaply.

Hoffelijk

Mu-43 Regular
The SMC Takumar 28mm f3.5 delivers on my E-pl8 and in creative mood with the right light i prefer it over my O 25mm 1.8.

Full metal design just a tiny bit bigger then the O 25 1.8.
You can snap your finger over the metall ring and easy find the sharpest focus through a viewfinder at 3.5.

I have no experience with the other lenses you mention but I am totally happy with the colors and the contrast the SMC Takumar 28mm f3.5 creates.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

sooc, C-2, S-2 Diafragma probably 8

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Early OM Zuiko 35mm lenses were single coated but later versions were multi coated.

My collection of 35mm lenses include:

Vivitar 35mm f/1.9 from the mid 1970s
OM 35mm f/2.8 from the mid 1980s
7artisans 35mm f/1.2
Meike 35mm f/1.7
Fujian 35mm f/1.7 CCTV lens

The Vivitar is a favourite but has had such a hard life I expect it to fall apart each time I use it. The OM 35mm is nice on the Sony a6000.

Last edited:

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hello,

I'm thinking on purchasing a 28-35mm lens but I'm in doubt of what should be the best bet, considering sharpness, build quality, bokeh, and what would be the best choice for street, landscape and travel photography.

- SMC Takumar 28mm f3.5
- Mir-1 37mm f2.8

Thoughts?
Just checking - you are aware that a 28-35mm is a short telephoto lens when used on a m43 system, right? No offense intended.

Since you are not that concerned with aperture, get a used Sigma 30mm f2.8. Great optics, native mount and AF.

If you are patient, you can get one well under your budget, as they are not too popular in m4/3 mount.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Sigma+30mm+f2.8&_sacat=0&_sop=1&LH_All=1&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&Mount=Micro%20Four%20Thirds&_dcat=3323
Color me confused. The OP asked about adapted lenses in the adapted lens forum area. Why are people recommending native glass?

I assume that OP wants some legacy glass.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
The Olympus OM I read that it suffers a lot from not having multi-coating
Some OM-System lenses are single-coated, but most are multi-coated. Gary Rees tests them all with their coating status here.

Ones that have "MC" on the front ring are certainly multi-coated!

One I haven't seen mentioned is the Olympus OM-System 28mm ƒ/2.0, which was described by Gary Reese in glowing terms as comparable to the Leica Summicron of the same length.

I just got an older "silver nose" copy that is multi-coated. I understand the newer, "black nose" ones are a bit better. Like most lens manufacturers, Olympus had a "continuous improvement" program, and would often make design improvement later in a lens's lifetime without fanfare.

Here is his lens test for this lens. He calls it "A+" when stopped down to ƒ/4.

carrots99

Mu-43 Rookie
The Olympus and the Takumars should be great options indeed, need to think about it.

Thanks for the tip regarding the suggestion for the Sigma native m43 lens, but yes indeed in this case I'm looking for vintage lenses. A native m43 lens that I would really love to have one day would be the Voigtlander Nokton.

3dpan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alec
There is a Vivitar 28/2.8 Close Focus which may interest you. Compact little lens, multi-coated, and focuses down to about 200mm.

There are plenty of Vivitar 28/2.8 lenses out there, but this one has the words Close Focus written on the front of the lens.

Last edited:

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
There is a Vivitar 28/2.8 Close Focus which may interest you. Compact little lens, multi-coated, and focuses down to about 200mm.

There are plenty of Vivitar 28/2.8 lenses out there, but this one has the words Close Focus written on the front of the lens.
There was also a 28mm f/2 close focus model and a Series 1 28mm f/1.9 model.

threeOh

Mu-43 Regular
You certainly won't be lacking in choices. I'll toss in this one. Voigtlander 35/2.4 L39 mount. A bit updated from a classic draw, good (not Leica good) optics, tiny for travel, inconspicuous for street, easy to use and silky smooth focus ring.

Hello,

- SMC Takumar 28mm f3.5
- Mir-1 37mm f2.8

Thoughts?
Buy the 7artisans 35mm f1.2. The compact size, native mount, wide aperture, vintage look, and cheap price make it great.
I have this In x mount and it's my favorite lens. Sharp enough for landscape, fast enough for low light and portraits. Highly recommend. Only negative is the lack of coating, but it's rarely been a problem for me.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom