1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

25mm vs 20mm FOV - Preferred

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dohearne, Jul 5, 2013.

1. dohearne

dohearne Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Vermont, Virginia
    Dave Hearne
    I am soon to buy a fast prime for my OM-D and have narrowed my choice to the Pany 25mm/1.4 and 20mm/1.7. Forgetting all the other nuances of choosing between the two, I am now at the point of choosing based upon the FOV. I have shot with my kit lens (12-50) at the 2 focal lengths but still cannot make up my mind. I probably lean towards 25mm for outdoors but am uncertain which I like better indoors. I am curious as to why others prefer on FOV over the other.

2. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    The Panasonic autofocus might give you more problems inside, although I never had any I couldn't work around. If you are not planning to add to your primes any time soon, 20mm is a pretty decent "normal", still giving you some of the advantages of a 35mm too.

I eventually replaced the 20 with the 25, which is a lens I'll never get rid of as long as I shoot m4/3, but both are fine lenses.

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I did the exact same thing but don't feel quite as strongly (positive) as Lawrence does about the 20.

4. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Hey Dave, dont want to be rude whatsoever, but try doing a little search, this topic is been done to death here,

here ill help you out check this infinite threads about your question:

https://www.mu-43.com/f38/pany-25mm-vs-pany-20mm-24399/

https://www.mu-43.com/f38/autofocus-panny-20mm-versus-25mm-33541/

https://www.mu-43.com/f35/leica-summilux-25-vs-panasonic-20-1-7-a-18423/

https://www.mu-43.com/f38/my-thoughts-20mm-f1-7-vs-25mm-f1-4-really-superior-39597/

i think you will find your answer in those. as with most gear in photography, is quite personal and theres no right answer to your question.

5. dohearne

dohearne Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Vermont, Virginia
    Dave Hearne
    You are being a little rude

I have researched the 2 lenses and can cite verbatim the pluses and minuses. I was simply asking about others personal preferences on FOV. Sorry to waste your time.

6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Its hard to put a tone or context in flat text. As my per initial comment, i was not trying to be rude whatsoever. But the topic you are asking is been done to death, in the links above you will find others personal preferences. :2thumbs: enjoy!

7. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I prefer the FOV that suits the scene. In many ways I'm sorry, but your question is meaningless. If you truly don't care which, then choose by price, aperture, AF speed or size.

I don't mean to be troll like -- but how can ANYONE tell you what you should be shooting? Make a choice!

EDIT: A bit more advice: this isn't a marriage or a mortgage so you're not committed for life. Carefully buy used and if you don't like it you can sell it and lose little to nothing.

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    My personal preference is 40mm equivalent FOV, meaning the 20mm lens. Just a personal bias. Irrespective of any issues like size and weight and speed of the lens, or AF speed and how well the lenses work on any particular body.

9. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Aldredge
    I was in a similar situation and ended up going with the 25mm. I mostly picked because it is half a stop faster and better bokeh. Also, it fit in better as a kit with my 14mm. It's not perfect, but I love it. The FOV is great as a "walk around" lens. But as a lowlight lens for indoor situations I find the FOV a little too tight. Otherwise, the FOV is perfect for both story telling and subject isolation.

I think I will end up buying either 17mm or 20mm for those indoor situations eventually.

10. efoo

efoo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Eddie
    I don't own either lenses, but base purely on focal length I would choose 20mm. Or 17mm (as in Oly lens). As they are closer to our naked human eyes' focal length. 25mm (or 50mm in full frame) is a bit too long in some tight indoor shots.

11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Also worth throwing in the Sigma 19mm into that mix as well

12. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    The FOV are relatively close, so some people will have have a preferred length and others will simply adjust to either lens pretty well- it just depends on your personal preferences and previous usage.

I would say the other aspects of the lenses will generally be more important factors- cost, autofocus speed, size of lens.

13. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I'd go with that then. My first 35mm camera came with a 42mm fixed lens, and I loved it.

If you have a feeling for the 40mm efl then that's I'd go with.

The Sigma 19 is also a very nice lens, which I happen to own, but it's more than a stop slower than the 20, and it's 2 stops slower than the 25. I wouldn't get it for my only prime, though I love having it as an add on.

14. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Optically IMHO the P20 and PL25 are a lot more similar than they are different. I know there are those who espouse the "magic" of the PL25, but I'm just as likely to contend that's as much down to the L-word it sports on its nose as anything else.

In terms of focal length, the 20mm is a bit more versatile to me (particularly indoors) and the fact that it's a pancake design makes it a bit more portable. The downside is that it doesn't focus as fast and is a bit noisier. There are also the reported banding issues on the O-MD.

In summary, the course I took was to get the P20 first and that's what is recommend. Don't be surprised, though, if you end up owning both at some point. :wink:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Mu-43 mobile app

15. Bertliza

Bertliza New to Mu-43

May 29, 2013
    FOV Preference

I wanted a M4/3 equivalent to a Canon 35mm f2.0 IS on a FF DSLR.

My choices were the Lumix 20mm or the M.Zuiko 17mm 1.8 on an Olympus Body with IBIS. I got the Lumix 20mm over the M.Zuiko 17mm because lens tests showed it has a better resolution.

I prefer the 35mm on FF FOV because I entend to use this combo for people shots during travel & events where the background or the location is important to the whole image.

If I want a solo or couple portrait with creamy bokeh background, I will use an 85mm on FF or the M.Zuiko 45mm on a M4/3.

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I have both lenses. For me the difference in FOV isn't significant ... a step back or a step forward, depending of the lens.

I think the other factors are far more significant than FOV .. things like size, cost ... the fact that the 25mm says Leica on it, et cetera, all that stuff is more significant than the FOV.

Gary

17. TetonTom

TetonTom Mu-43 Regular

I'm also new to m43, with just an OM-D and 12-25, and I'll also be adding to my lens kit soon. Just my opinion, but one should also be thinking about what their "ideal" system will look like someday, and pick a lens that fits into that system.
    EXAMPLE... I'm moving over from Nikon DX, and my kit ( which worked well for me, and I'd like to duplicate with m43), consisted of a 12-24 (50% of my shooting), a 35 f/1.8 (30% of my shooting), and an 80-200 f/2.8 (20%). So my next lens purchase will be the 9-18, and to mate well with the UWA I'd prefer the 25 over the 20 (or 17 or 19). Not a huge difference between the 2, but in the context of other lenses, one might have more pull over the other.

18. gregorywe

gregorywe Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I had a tough time deciding to based on all the variables, but from my use with the 25mm, I highly recommend it! I use my 25mm a lot for people shots, and I believe for that use the 25mm focal length is more appropriate and flattering than 20mm. The difference is not big, but if the other variables (size, cost) are acceptable, then go for the 25mm!

19. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Autofocus of the Panasonic 20mm lens is slow on Olympus bodies. I have the 20mm and find it too long for indoor shooting so I would go for the Olympus 17mm f/1.8

20. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    For me, 50 equiv never really did it for me...I prefer slightly wider or slightly longer...I would go for the Pan 20...although if you're into bokeh stuff, the 25 (longer reach) with the wider aperture will be superior in that respect.