25mm PL aperture sound

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by redalien, Jan 10, 2013.

1. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Tamas
    I was wondering if anyone has a noise coming from the 25mm lens when the aperture is adjusting itself. Is it normal to have a sound that is sort of like a shutter sound, but it is from the opening and closing of the blades?

2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Welcome to the forum! This is a well-documented issue. We call it the "rattlesnake" noise, and is particularly prominent when you point the lens at an indoor fluorescent light.

3. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Tamas
    I pulled the trigger on posting first then did my own research, found some old forum posts about this issue.
    Well, at least i didn't spam with some special sales on a special website somewhere :)

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    No worries! BTW, just curious, which camera do you pair your PL25 with?

5. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Tamas
    DMC-G5 as of today, had the same issue when I had it on my DMC-GF2.

6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Interesting. I thought the noise is only prominent on Olypmus camera bodies...

7. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    I did too!!! This is good info though as it might help me forget about buying this lens and get on with enjoying my P20 ;-)

8. seadragon

seadragon Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    My PL25 also has a noticeable aperture sound. But it doesn't "rattlesnake" like it does on Olympus bodies. The rattlesnake is more of a chattering sound. But on my GH3, it only makes a single noise when the aperture changes.

Incidentally, I used to have a Sony lens on a NEX-7 that made the same sound.

9. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Tamas
    I would agree, it's not really a "rattlesnake", it really is more like the sound of opening/closing friction of the blades.

The sound itself is not bothering me, I was just worried at first but now knowing that it is not uncommon I will get over it quick. The image quality is superb and that's all I care about.

@Dangermouse1968

the P20mm P is a really nice one to have, based on all the images and reviews I saw, I would consider the 25mm PL is a side grade to that anyway, but if you base your purchase on this sound alone, you are missing out.

10. 00r101

00r101 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2012
    I have the 20 but the 25 doesn't hunt for focus as much. Also the G5 (and the G3 and I suspect all Lumix) does not alllow AFC mode on the 20 only Auto Focus Single. Not sure why. Anyone?