1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

25mm PL aperture sound

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by redalien, Jan 10, 2013.

1. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Tamas
    I was wondering if anyone has a noise coming from the 25mm lens when the aperture is adjusting itself. Is it normal to have a sound that is sort of like a shutter sound, but it is from the opening and closing of the blades?

2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Welcome to the forum! This is a well-documented issue. We call it the "rattlesnake" noise, and is particularly prominent when you point the lens at an indoor fluorescent light.

3. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Tamas
    I pulled the trigger on posting first then did my own research, found some old forum posts about this issue.
    Well, at least i didn't spam with some special sales on a special website somewhere :) 

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    No worries! BTW, just curious, which camera do you pair your PL25 with?

5. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Tamas
    DMC-G5 as of today, had the same issue when I had it on my DMC-GF2.

6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Interesting. I thought the noise is only prominent on Olypmus camera bodies...

7. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    I did too!!! This is good info though as it might help me forget about buying this lens and get on with enjoying my P20 ;-)

8. seadragon

seadragon Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    My PL25 also has a noticeable aperture sound. But it doesn't "rattlesnake" like it does on Olympus bodies. The rattlesnake is more of a chattering sound. But on my GH3, it only makes a single noise when the aperture changes.

Incidentally, I used to have a Sony lens on a NEX-7 that made the same sound.

9. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Tamas
    I would agree, it's not really a "rattlesnake", it really is more like the sound of opening/closing friction of the blades.

The sound itself is not bothering me, I was just worried at first but now knowing that it is not uncommon I will get over it quick. The image quality is superb and that's all I care about.

@Dangermouse1968

the P20mm P is a really nice one to have, based on all the images and reviews I saw, I would consider the 25mm PL is a side grade to that anyway, but if you base your purchase on this sound alone, you are missing out.

10. 00r101

00r101 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2012
    I have the 20 but the 25 doesn't hunt for focus as much. Also the G5 (and the G3 and I suspect all Lumix) does not alllow AFC mode on the 20 only Auto Focus Single. Not sure why. Anyone?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.