25mm f/1.4 PL update.....

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Tom Swaman, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

If my information is correct, the new PL MFT 25mm f/1.4 lens has reached some dealers. I believe that Unique Photo has this lens among others. I also believe the old 4/3rds version of this lens may now be discontinued as shown on the B&H website.

It is going to be interesting to learn which of these lenses actually offers the best IQ. Clearly the new lens is smaller and lighter in weight, but the optical design of these two lenses is just different enough to make these perform differently. For those who use both lenses, your experience will be very helpful to all.

Best regards,
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

I am bad.....the new lens is not yet in stock at Unique Photo. Sorry for my near error.

3. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I have one on pre-order at Adorama. I hope it ships soon!!!!!
  4. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    I would bet the 43PL will outperform the m43 25/1.4 (Of course I own the PL25/1.4) ;-)
  5. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

I believe you are correct, but the differences may not be significant on a small sensor. Certainly the auto-focus ought to work much better with the MFT Panny version. I am hanging on to mine, at least for a good while.

Best regards.
  6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    • Like Like x 5
  7. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    has anybody heard when is this lens available?
  8. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I heard somewhere they were supposed to start shipping around 7/22 but I haven't seen any evidence that they are shipping. I'm curious, too.
  9. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Should be interesting to see how this thread develops over time.

Bokeh D
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    According to 43rumors, it's shipping in Japan.
  11. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

I started this mess, in error, and I have since read August, heard July and I am truly only waiting to find out how the new and old lenses compare, particularly since the old lens is now discontinued.

Best regards,
  12. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
  13. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
  14. daanh

daanh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2010
    • Like Like x 2
  15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I looked up the MTF charts, and it seems the PL25 should have busier bokeh:

20/1.7: Digital Interchangeable Lenses | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global
    25/1.4: Digital Interchangeable Lenses | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

Oddly ,the 14/2.5 has the better looking MTF chart of the three: Digital Interchangeable Lenses | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global which shows up in it's good bokeh.

You've convinced me: I withdrew my 20/1.7 for sale. I'm going to wait until the PL25 is in hand. I'm still hoping it's color and contrast will be better, and I am pretty sure it's AF speed will be (every other lens I have is faster than the 20/1.7, so I'm assuming the PL25 will be, too).
  16. daanh

daanh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2010
    How can you see the quality of the bokeh from this charts?

17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
  18. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Blur cookbook, a.k.a. Wok the bokeh...

1) Good bokeh on a slow wide-angle? Beats me. Now I seldom shoot little flowers close-up...

As for deriving the quality of bokeh from MTF astigmatism, I'm puzzled.

I guess I'll stick to me ole proven methods. Reading MTF only when needing confirmation for a contrast/resolution puzzle, and having a second look at the pictures when/if bokeh appears bizarre.

2) Thanks for the links to Pan's technical pages. This lens looks even worse inside then out. Out looks cheap esp. when seen the efforts on new Olympus 12 or even the 45. But in ! Nine bleeping elements, two aspherical and one superglass, supernanoultramegacoating for what ? An f/1.4 prime standard lens ? Herr Barnack, they've gone crazy ! By the time everything is aligned axially and perfectly in place back-to-forth, you have all the ingredients for heavy quality dispersion from one sample to another.

If you're to buy one of these lenses, get buddies with the salesmen, have them unpack half a dozen, do your own tests...
    This being said, I realize nothing has changed in half a century when shopping for good glass :cool:
  19. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    I'm really not an expert but I can try to make some ipothesis

I think the bokeh quality that can be read on the MTF charts is more
    GOOD vs BAD

what i think: no differences between M e S reading makes the lens react at the same way at different light/image, and I think this means no halo, no harsh corners and such. Not necessarily good, but could be defined as "not busy-not harsh"

I don't see the 8 lines luminous landscape tells about, so i think pana published only the full-aperture readings.

-As fast primes (same maker-system-budget, don't compare holgas to leicas) gets less DoF and general less contrast at full aperture vs slow primes
    (nikon and canon 50 1.8 @1.8 beats their 50 1.4 @1.4)
    -as longer primes (blabla) gets less DoF vs shorter/wider ones (nikon 35 1.8 @1.8 beats, but only in the center of the frame, the 50 1.8 @1.8 and the canon 24 1.4 @1.4 beats the 50 1.4 @1.4)
    I don't think it's strange to see from "top" (more contrast) to "less" in the mtf tests:
    14 2.5 - 20 1.7 - 25 1.4

GOOD MTF don't means GOOD LENS.
  20. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Smoke and mirror's:rofl: