1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

25mm f/1.4, Native or Adapted?????

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Tom Swaman, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Well, I wonder, am I better off IQ-wise with the current Leica 25mm f/1.4 lens or with the newly promised July arrival of the Panasonic-Leica 25mm f/1.4. Clearly, the former is much hevier thatn the latter. Most assuredly, the speed of AF with the latter will be faster than that with today's adapter mounted Summilux.

What are your thoughts and predictions? Frankly, it is rather difficult to beat the image quality resulting from a properly exposed shot taken with the current Leica 25mm f/1.4.

Regards,
    Tom

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Gotta go with the native. Samples so far seem very good. More importantly, the AF should be faster, it's smaller, and about $400 cheaper!!

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I like Four-Thirds lenses because of the telecentric design. Micro Four-Thirds loses that telecentricity, which helps to fight CA, vignetting, ghosting, flaring, etc. naturally by design. Four-Thirds lenses can also be used on both Four-Thirds and Micro Four-thirds bodies. Since I use Four-Thirds lenses and Micro Four-Thirds bodies, I can use parts from either system interchangeably.

I don't think you'll find any real difference in Image Quality, so I would guess the biggest differences lie in practical usage. Which works better with your workflow and existing lens collection? If you are always swapping between different Four-Thirds lenses like I do, then keeping a Four-Thirds mount permanently attached to your Micro Four-Thirds body only makes sense.

Also, the Four-Thirds version has a manual aperture ring, but I don't think the new version does. You might like that better. ;)

4. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

What you say makes sense except for cheaper, i.e. that is when one owns the original adapter 25mm f/1.4. The wife always said to stay with one.....tee hee.

Armanius, I am not yet willing to bet on the side-by-side IQ.It will be very interesting to see what time teaches in this case.

Best regards,
    Tom

5. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Ned,

You have some good points. I really think the biggest difference will prove to be speed of focus and weight. Frankly, I could not care less about the speed od focus in a 25mm lens. I mainly use a medium focal lengthe lens like this in manual focus.

Enjoyed your comments.

Regards,
    Tom

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Guh, I'm sorry man but I'll have to side with the wife on this one. You don't need the same lens in both mounts. :rofl:

7. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Ned,

We are saying the same thing. I own the Leica 25mm f/1.4 now. I cannot see owning both lenses unless one uses these a majority of the shooting time, which I do not. I cannot see losing a bundle and spending another bundle.

Best regards,
    Tom

8. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    I own the PL25/1.4, my second. I bought it knowing the new micro 4/3rds unit was on the way.

I am starting to accumulate the 4/3rds lenses. The Olympus Top-Pro line is my focus... I recently acquired their 150/2.8 and am in love. Big heavy glass, and it's built like a tank and weather sealed.

Below, the 150/2.8 featured hand held with a Zuiko 2x coupler and no IS, effective FL 600mm.... 125% crop

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1