25mm AF noise

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by telemach, Nov 13, 2012.

1. telemach

telemach Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 5, 2012
    Just received my Panny 25mm and I'm surprised how loud it is on my GH2.
    OK I just own 3 m43 lenses 45mm,14-140mm,25mm so I can compare only those. 45mm 1.8 is almost dead silent and very fast, 14-140 is also quiet but slower however 25mm is noisy and significantly slower than 45mm. I don't talk about rattlesnake but sounds when AFS single is enabled and focusing on close objects. It's not noisy but definately audible so my question is : normal or not ?
    can you compare AF speed 45mm vs 25mm ?

If needed I can take some video examples.
  2. brandonwoo

brandonwoo New to Mu-43

Nov 16, 2012
    I do get rattlesnake (whether actively focusing or just when the camera is switched on) wit the 25mm. Now that you mention it i think yes it does seem to occur often when focusing on close subjects. However personally i dont think its a deal breaker because although it isn't dead silent it isn't really that noisy.

25mm is no slouch at AF speed, but AF on the 45mm does feel faster compared to the 25mm for me too.
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I have a little noise on my E-P3, but I haven't done much close focus and I use aperture priority. It's not that irritating, just a soft rattle.
  4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The OP isn't talking about the rattlesnake. That's noise from the aperture, not focusing, and (to the best of my knowledge) only occurs on Oly cameras, not the OP's GH2.

I don't have the 25mm any more, but I don't remember it being particularly loud.