25mm 1.7 and 42.5mm 1.7

Psynema

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Gary Hanna
Anyone get the new guys yet?

The 25mm is still on back order for a lot of people - wow, waiting until March from BnH I hear.

Taurahe

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon
I got my 25 1.7 in november before they disappeared. Overall I am very happy with. Af is fast, it is very sharp and contrast in good light, and it is affordable. It is not as good as the pan Leica lenses but it is no slouch. It is on my camera more often than not. I have made some really great portraits with it since I gotb

tpitch14

Mu-43 Regular
I have the 25, and the 42.5 is arriving today... been pleased with the 25 after moving from the O25, and looking forward to the closer focus distance and stabilization of the 42.5 on my G7 as well over my O45. Nice reviews, and cheers from up the road in KoP!

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I have the 25, and the 42.5 is arriving today... been pleased with the 25 after moving from the O25, and looking forward to the closer focus distance and stabilization of the 42.5 on my G7 as well over my O45. Nice reviews, and cheers from up the road in KoP!
Any reason in particular you swapped over from the O25? Is it for better continuous autofocus with the G7, or just to recoup a few hundred $$$?

tpitch14

Mu-43 Regular
Any reason in particular you swapped over from the O25? Is it for better continuous autofocus with the G7, or just to recoup a few hundred $$$?
Being able to get it at a lower cost helps, but I guess I just wanted to convert over to an all P lens stable with a new P body. Autofocus improvement and perceived positive from the DFD technology are others. I can live with the slight increase in size- I am on a pretty substantial (by m43 standards) size body afterall

Psynema

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Gary Hanna

Ah nice King of Prussia. You have a site? May have met you maybe at an event.

Jonathan F/2 said:
I have the Pan 25mm 1.7 lens. It's nothing special, but for the price of $99, there's no reason not to have it in your kit!

I agree - it's actually very close to the 25mm 1.4, but I'm mainly using the 25mm as an interview, casual VLOG lens and the C-AF is holding up very well. Never used the 25mm 1.4 that much, but the full four thirds 25mm was the best, but HUGE.

tpitch14

Mu-43 Regular
Ah nice King of Prussia. You have a site? May have met you maybe at an event.

I agree - it's actually very close to the 25mm 1.4, but I'm mainly using the 25mm as an interview, casual VLOG lens and the C-AF is holding up very well. Never used the 25mm 1.4 that much, but the full four thirds 25mm was the best, but HUGE.
Nope, just a hobbyist here [emoji4]

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Anyone get the new guys yet?
The 25mm is still on back order for a lot of people - wow, waiting until March from BnH I hear.

yeah, though I only got one of them. The 25mm Panasonic is nice. I'm not really using it much at the moment but at 99bucks wasn't even going to think about not getting it.

It does exactly what I expected it to do and has better image quality wide open than the Canon 50mm f1.8 ever does on a full frame camera

stenlius

Mu-43 Regular
Anyone using the P25 with an E-M5 body - do you have slight underexposure when shooting wide open outside with bright light? I get around -1 EV underexposure in some cases shooting at 1.7, which is gone if I shoot the lens at 2.8 and wondering is it just my E-M5 or smth else. I shoot RAW, matrix metering, I know that E-M5 underexposes a bit, but never had such experience with O45@1.8.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Hi

Anyone using the P25 with an E-M5 body - do you have slight underexposure when shooting wide open outside with bright light? ...but never had such experience with O45@1.8.

if there are really bright things in the view (that are still over exposed) it could be just the camera trying to compensate for that. The wider the lens the more there is stuff in the viewfinder which is bright (when outside in bright light) and that could be the factor.

HTH

stenlius

Mu-43 Regular
Just trying to learn the conditions in which it underexposes, there was some snow or white clothing in some occasions, but there are other pictures, where there was nothing overbright in the frame. But I suppose you are right, the lens wide open means the camera it already at it's maximum speed of 1/4000 and ISO100 and trying to not overexpose and it goes under. Just two samples below, the second one had +0,7EV and it is still underexposed:

2016-02-01 23-04-12 Screenshot.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
2016-02-01 23-08-44 Screenshot.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Otherwise, the Panasonic 25/1.7 is a very nice lens - sharp wide open, fast autofocus, decent contrast with the hood attached and reasonable price.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Just trying to learn the conditions in which it underexposes, there was some snow or white clothing in some occasions, but there are other pictures, where there was nothing overbright in the frame.

hard to know without seeing ... I'm not sure what was the example being shown in the above photographs ... I didn't see any exposure compensation information in the data on the pictures, they both have 0EV. The last one in full sunlight with the cross and feathers looks under exposed but again not enough information (I don't know what 7/10 EV means). To me what I see there is the camera has chosen to pull the picture darker so as not to blow the white on the feathers. If the exposure was higher (for adequate background) then the feathers would be blown highlights.

But I suppose you are right, the lens wide open means the camera it already at it's maximum speed of 1/4000 and ISO100 and trying to not overexpose and it goes under.
this point seems confused ... if the shutter is already at 4000th and you've selected f1.7 then the shot will be over exposed because the camera can not adjust exposure down further (of course P would usually solve this).

stenlius

Mu-43 Regular
0EV and 7/10EV is the exp compensation applied during capturing the image, so the two images above are without any compensation /but notice the difference between F1.7 and F2.8 in exposure/, and the one with the feathers was shot with +0,7EV. What frustrates me is that wide open it underexposes, but when you close it a bit - the exposure goes as it should be.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Hi
0EV and 7/10EV is the exp compensation applied during capturing the image, so the two images above are without any compensation /but notice the difference between F1.7 and F2.8 in .
yes. I see that on the left image the whites are preserved but on the 2.8 image they are blown

I wasn't sure if both were "full image" (scaled) or 100% pixel crops.

back in the day of 4/3rds there was a known issue with lenses of greater than 2.8 in aperture. It was as if the cameras were unable to cope.

let me look at my Pana 1.7 on my GH-1 tomorrow. I'll be busy so it may not be till the day after.

Mean time try a more rigorous test on A with the camera on a tripod (so composition doesn't change) and see if the problem persists.

PS

I found the reference

When a lens designed for a 35-mm film camera is used on a digital one, with image sensor smaller than film frame, the mirror may cut off the outer parts of the light beam on its way to the viewing screen (and, in the E-300 and E-1 at least, to the exposure meter). The meter "sees" less light than the CCD sensor will see, and this will lead to under-metering, or overexposure.

This happens only at wider apertures, when the light beam is wider. The overexposure can be dealt with by means of exposure compensation, which may be different for different lenses. For the 1.8/50 OM Zuiko lens the compensation required is quite slight: -0.3 EV at F/1.7; no compensation is needed at F/2.8 and beyond.

of course this is different, but the above was a theory to explain the observed. I never felt right about the image circle / larger coverage theory.

wrotniak.net: OM 1.8/50 Zuiko used on Olympus E-300 Digital Camera

Last edited:

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
What frustrates me is that wide open it underexposes, but when you close it a bit - the exposure goes as it should be.
Seems to me that would be a camera issue. The body calculates exposure and chooses the setting for the parameter you have on auto in order to expose the shot correctly. The lens is just a dumb slave to the body.

dweller

Mu-43 Veteran
Anyone using the P25 with an E-M5 body - do you have slight underexposure when shooting wide open outside with bright light? I get around -1 EV underexposure in some cases shooting at 1.7, which is gone if I shoot the lens at 2.8 and wondering is it just my E-M5 or smth else. I shoot RAW, matrix metering, I know that E-M5 underexposes a bit, but never had such experience with O45@1.8.

This rings a bell. I think I get that with my EM5.
It was dimming the sky much more than other cameras and I could really see the vignetting on the LCD screen.
A bit disconcerting. I haven't been using the lens that much but will try again to see if the exposure changes as I close the aperture.

Latest threads

Top Bottom