1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

25mm 1.4 + E-M5: wakeup/startup problem

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by captevo, May 26, 2012.

1. captevo

captevo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    I've been using my new 25mm 1.4 with my E-M5 for about 2 weeks.
    At 1st, no rattle snake, but then it started after a few days using it, seems rattle more outside. But that's fine, i don't mind the noise.

My main problem I have noticed so far is that it:
    1. Doesn't wake up. I have to turn it off then back on.
    2. When (1) happens, the 1st picture is pitch back, then it's fine after that. This is so weird. Sometimes, i turn it off (instead waiting for it to sleep), then back on, and still miss the 1st picture.

Do you have this problem?

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    People reported this wake problem with the 20mm. Hadn't heard about it on the 25, but hopefully Oly will patch it up.

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    On the Rattlesnake, you are most likely to hear it when you have lens wide open at 1.4, and you are outside, and alternating between light and dark areas. If you are just indoors, it doesn't show up as much, or if you are outside in consistent lighting.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    If I have it set to power off automatically after 5 min, which I do to save battery, then once it auto powers off I have to turn the switch to off and then back to on again. I haven't had any black pictures though.

5. captevo

captevo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    so, I guess we can say
    - it is confirmed that you'll have to turn off then on again (sometimes) for all lenses.
    - i agree with you on the rattlesnake; at 1.4/bright
    the black (1st) pictures only started yesterday... i will monitor for a bit.
    it is just weird.

thank you all

6. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    That is weird..I have the 25mm and E-M5 and have had no issues with the combo. Its my goto lens so it is on the camera 90% of the time. Dirty contacts?