$250 Sony FE 50mm f1.8 launched

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by tkbslc, Mar 29, 2016.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Oh. That's tempting! I was expecting this at some point. Damn

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app
  3. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    I think this is a majorly important step and pulls me quite a bit closer to shooting full frame mirrorless...

Provided their 50 1.8 isn't a total dog - the price gap between shooting a m4/3 system and a full frame system just narrowed SIGNIFICANTLY - at least at one focal length...

I almost forgot - with the new adapter sigma is launching for the E mount there are also a pretty large host of other lenses at the mounts disposal vs just what Sony is releasing...Interesting times.
  4. tkbslc

Even with a cheap lens, you still need to spend a lot of money on a camera body to get the kind of features most of us are used to. The "cheap" Sony A7 has more in common with an old G5 than a GX8 or a E-M5 II. You need to get into the $1700 A7 II for E-M10 level features and the $3200 to beat what we get with $1000 cameras on m4/3.

And even then you are only getting a stop of DOF gain over a m4/3 with a 25mm f1.4...
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    And you have to put up with the horrible 3:2 aspect ratio :)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    What features are missing? The obvious are IBIS and a touchscreen, but for those you gain bigger sensor, more depth of field, more dynamic range / colours, phase detection autofocus (only EM1 has that), and the ability to adapt old lenses without crop factor.

Not sure about video on the original A7, but can't be worse than Olympus's video, pre-EM5II.
  7. tkbslc

Obviously the sensor is bigger, that's the whole point of the comparison. But compare the rest of the specs. It's not a high end camera.
  8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I totally agree and having used Sony A7RM2 for few weeks and I still own A7M2, but I always reach for Olympus EM5M2 and even Panny GM1 . I terms of sensor , Sony A7 might have slight edge but in terms of features and usability , Sony has yet to cover a lot .
  9. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    Features are wonderful as long as at the end of the day you get the quality files you desire.

Speaking of "cheap". Never ever in my life did I think an 18-55 kit lens can be impressive. tkbslc do you own a fuji system? My fuji kit lens produces much better IQ than my Panasonic 12-35mm w/ gh3 or E-m5!!!

I've been all over the map brainstorming on Sony and fuji as an alternate system to my M43 gear and Canon gear.

For a stills camera I was thinking of the A7mk2 or A7S mk1 and a Batis 25mm f/2. Then seriously considered an A6300. Looking at the spendy price of a GH4, Gx8, G7 and even an E-M5mk2 I decided to go Fuji as a fun alternative. My Fuji with kit lens is marginally more expensive than an E-m5 mk2 body alone and it's approximately the same price as an E-m1 body only. The zinger is the fuji image quality and low light performance is a different level. This is where my fuji with kit lens produces nicer files with manageable noise to correct in post while shooting ISO 5000 and above. Using a Fuji 16mm f/1.4 prime (24mm equiv) is giving me image quality like shooting an older Canon 24L with full frame which is extremely impressive. For under a grand you can get an 85mm equiv f/1.2 or a 135mm equiv f/2 fuji lens!! This is what made me decide to buy a Fuji as a "fun" system along side my Canon gear.

Sony is sure starting to take the camera market enticing young families, soccer mom/dad and enthusiasts. The A6000 is the cheap solution to high quality images with a crop sensor. The cheap Sony 50mm prime will be a nice lens to throw in the bag.

As the years go by the mirrorless small form factor camera's are going to get even better and better.
  10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The 12-35mm is great, but isn't exactly the sharpest in the world. Even the 12-40mm is sharper for much of the range until at least 25mm. That 'kit' Fuji lens however is widely regarded as just about the best 'kit' lens ever!
  11. tkbslc

Slrgear.com's blur plots make the 12-35mm look better than the Fuji 18-50 across the board.
  12. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The Fuji 18-55 is also the most expensive kit lens ever. It sold for $700 when not included with the camera. Even today, it only sells for just $200 less than the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 which has a constant aperture, wider FL, lighter weight, and is weather sealed. I don't know why anyone would be surprised that a $500 3x zoom, variable-aperture lens would perform well.

And in general, I don't think there's much in the comparison. The Fuji is a little bit sharper than the Panasonic at the wide-end when wide open, but it's also only 28mm equivalent instead of 24mm. And the Olympus 12-40, as mentioned, is at least as sharp, if not better. See real pics here, instead of numbers or conjecture:

Fuji 18mm f2.8
    Panasonic 12mm f2.8
    Olympus 12mm f2.8

Fuji 55mm f4
    Panasonic 35mm f2.8
    Olympus 40mm f2.8

From my personal point of view, I just don't like the look of Fuji files. I find them soft and "painterly," sacrificing detail for smoothness. And the X-Trans array makes a mess of my preferred workflow in ACR / Lightroom. And there's the fact that they overstate ISO by at least 1/2 stop...but that's just me. I've considered Fuji several times, but just can't get past all the negatives.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I agree totally. If you wind up the NR on high ISO Olympus raw files, you'll get similar results to Fuji. Nothing wrong with that, but the apparent better noise is mainly due to permanently-on NR.
  14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I think you must be confusing the 12-35 with something else ;). It's a superb lens and is in no practical way worse than the 12-40 (except it's smaller and lighter).
  15. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    I wish I could agree on the plots but the thousands of photos I've taken with my 12-35 looked great but the aprox $350 fuji 18-55 kit lens took me back. I'm assuming the large pixels and less density on the fuji sensor has to do with it too.

My workflow in lightroom 6 the $350 kit lens easily surpasses my Panasonic 12-35mm. Normally most folks would justify their opinions and skew their words due to monetary outlay $$$. In my case I was disturbed how amazing a kit lens outperformed my $1000 panasonic "pro" lens. LOL!! The files have more micro contrast and it performs much like my older 5D full frame with 24-70Lmk1 pro zoom.

I was so incredibly close in buying a Sony A7mk2 or A7s mk1. The idea of a small form factor mirrorless with a large Cmos sensor is definitely something to buy for good/excellent high iso performance. The fuji gear I bought was more of an "entertainment factor" wanting to see the hype was all about. Spending only $2000 Fuji gave me rich Raw files that I never thought a crop sensor could provide. From Pixel peeping to prints I think the fuji is silly in the value of such capable gear. Heck of alot cheaper than the 25mm f/2 Batis lens and A7 series I was going to buy.

The fuji has messed up my plans for a Sony.
  16. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    the original A7 with this new lens would be a very cheap way to get a compact FF. whether most of us need FF is another matter altogether.
  17. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    Essex UK
    I wouldn't call that a "Pro grade 70 - 300" its consumer grade
  18. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    yeah, their pro lenses are the new g-series thingies. and cost a bomb.

I think Sony need a faster, budget 35mm to go with this new 50mm. the 2.8 is a top lens but not quick enough imo. the zeiss 35mm is pretty expensive.
  19. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think this new 50mm 1.8 will be very good. I just picked up the Sony 28mm f/2 and it's quite decent as well. If you're a raw shooter, the malleability of the Sony 24mp FF sensor is very good especially when it comes to dynamic range. If you're an adapted lens shooter, it's almost a no-brainer to be shooting with the FF body to utilize legacy glass to it's full potential.
  20. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Consumer grade like a $1250 Canon 70-300L, right? Name a single consumer grade zoom with a focus limiter on it. Just because it has a slow aperture doesn't make it a consumer grade lens. I'm tired of the fast = good assumption, if only because it means that high-quality slow lenses that are nice and compact are that much rarer.