25% off refurbished at Olympus

mgs

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Matthew
Just a heads-up, when I ordered my black E-PM2 kit, the page said that it'll ship within 1-2 weeks but it shipped today. Granted, I did order it at about 730AM PST but just something to keep in mind if you're scared by the ships in XX weeks note.

audiodrive

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
jef
Seems like my order is on its way to my US shipping address. Just received an email about the shipping update of my order... Will just drive to the border to pick it up.

JeanLucX

Mu-43 Regular
Seems like my order is on its way to my US shipping address. Just received an email about the shipping update of my order... Will just drive to the border to pick it up.

My order just shipped and it is from NY. Getting it tomorrow. They shipped with Fedex 2nd day but I only paid for ground, I guess there is no point to go for more expensive shipping option.

mgs

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Matthew
My order just shipped and it is from NY. Getting it tomorrow. They shipped with Fedex 2nd but I only paid for ground, I guess there is no point to go for more expensive shipping option.

well, they were being nice to you, mine was shipped ground and being in California, will arrive next week. one of the annoying things about living on the west coast. :(

JeanLucX

Mu-43 Regular
well, they were being nice to you, mine was shipped ground and being in California, will arrive next week. one of the annoying things about living on the west coast. :(

Nah, they probably shipped 2nd day because it will cost them the same.

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Anyone else find is suspicious that they charge tax in every state (that has sales tax). Since when do they have a presence in every state?

JeanLucX

Mu-43 Regular
Anyone else find is suspicious that they charge tax in every state (that has sales tax). Since when do they have a presence in every state?

Olympus has a medical endoscopy equipment division so they probably do have presence like a service center is most states.

I've ordered a lot of Oly refurb stuff, never even a mark, always looks/works as new. Never had to return a single piece. I just got the 70-300 for $360. That's a GREAT price!

Here's a weird justification I got in my Nikon days... Cameras are mass-produced, boxed and shipped, where time is critical to profit. A refurb, on the other hand, has been looked over individually by a technician (usually their better techs, I was told), and brought into spec on a table with much more time being spent on its compliance to those specs. Therefore, the refurbs can often be BETTER cameras functionally. Makes a weird sort of sense...

You are correct. What happens is that as the product comes off the assembly line, some basic tests are done to determine whether the product is working correctly. If a product flunks one of the tests, then it is sent to be refurbished. A tech will look at it, fix it, and then run it through more tests than the ones off the assembly line go through to make sure it is working correctly. So a refurb gets much more attention and testing than a new product. I think some of the refurbs come about when Olympus holds a demo day and has cameras available for people to use. After the demo, the cameras are examined/tested, and then sold as refurbs.

These days, if they sell enough via their website to people in a particular state, that is sufficient presence. Once upon a time they needed a physical presence but the internet has changed all that. Incidentally, the Supreme Court declined to look at a case regarding state collection of sales tax. Amazon had appealed a state court decision forcing it to collect sales tax. Basically the Supreme Court indicated that sales tax collection is a matter for the states and that they would not interfere. Expect most states, especially the cash strapped states, to start asking internet retailers to collect sales tax.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
My black E-PM2 + kit zoom just shipped. I also noticed they have a reconditioned kit zoom for $299, which is $30 more than I paid for the camera + lens kit. This kind of thing makes my head hurts. Fortunately, I'll have a new E-Pm2 to sooth my tortured soul.

JeanLucX

Mu-43 Regular
I just received my 75-300mm today and it is BAD condition. It got lots of dents and scratches on it. The packing is VERY POOR too. It is going back!

madogvelkor

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I just received my 75-300mm today and it is BAD condition. It got lots of dents and scratches on it. The packing is VERY POOR too. It is going back!

That's a shame! I have an E-PL5 on order but it hasn't shipped yet. Hopefully it is in better condition.

JeanLucX

Mu-43 Regular
That's a shame! I have an E-PL5 on order but it hasn't shipped yet. Hopefully it is in better condition.
Yeah, they won't cover return shipping either so i am out of pocket 10 bucks. I guess I will only buy new from now on.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Wow. Sorry to hear that. That's a problem I've never had with refurb stuff. I'm especially surprised given that it's from Olympus itself.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Can you post a photo of it? I'm curious to see the "outer limits" of Olympus refurb, as everything I have ever purchases looked NIB. Thanks.

JeanLucX

Mu-43 Regular
Can you post a photo of it? I'm curious to see the "outer limits" of Olympus refurb, as everything I have ever purchases looked NIB. Thanks.

I just drop it off to the UPS because I want my money back ASAP. It has a few dents around the focus ring and a few scratches on the body but Olympus put brand new front and rear caps on it. It also has a white sticker with UPC bar code by the front glass indicating the lens is refurbished. It was from Olympus' Hauppauge NY service center. They packed the lens in a blue box with inefficient bubble wraps, it is kinda like how i usually receive my items from newegg and amazon but I expect better handling from a professional company like Olympus.

JeanLucX

Mu-43 Regular
They just apologized and told me to return the lens. I have to go to their website to fill out a form but no RMA number required. It is kinda old fashion TBH.

Halaking

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Morris
Sorry to hear that, I can't believe how they handle refurb to customers, I used to hear all the good things.

Latest threads

Top Bottom