1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

25 f1.4 or 30 f1.4

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by manju69, Oct 1, 2016.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    hi. Am looking at these two lenses as a prime for my M1. I've had the 25mm before and liked it (now sold) but wondered about the sigma. By all accounts it's very good and I often shoot longer anyway, plus the extra isolation I would get would be nice - I love close up/detail shots. My only concern is the size/weight. The cost used of the 25 is about the same as a new sigma 30.

Any thoughts from sigma owners. Are you happy with it? Any down sides?

Thanks.

2. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 C is neither very big nor heavy - but it's bigger than your average :mu43: prime. It's slightly smaller and considerably lighter than the 12-40mm, but thanks to the size, you get better purchase on the lens; the focus ring is very nice as well. It's a very sharp lens, nicely contrasty; the only (though manageable) issue is that CA is higher than on many other lenses, but that's something you tend to get with bright primes (my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art for APS-C is considerably worse in that respect - and a couple of other f/1.4 lenses I own are, too; only the FF Sigma Art lenses are virtually free of that weakness).

I have liked the "long" normals for some time and still enjoy shooting the smaller Sigma 30mm f/2.8 Art for street portraiture. The new 30mm is just as useful - and even more versatile due to its two stops of additional brightness.

The 25mm f/1.4 is of course considerably smaller than the new Sigma; I've never shot one so I'm not able to assess optical quality and handling myself, but I also own the Olympus 25mm f/1.8, and that lens is said to be as sharp as the 25mm PanaLeica. The Sigma is just as sharp, though not quite as contrasty - but then, the Olympus 25mm is the crispest lens I own for :mu43: (not even the 12mm f/2.0 matches it fully). Colours and bokeh are even nicer from the Sigma - very natural, very even. The Sigma actually feels a little sturdier than the 25mm, even though it doesn't have the slick looks of the Olympus.

All in all, I'm glad I opted for the Sigma - for me, it's quite clearly the better choice than the PanaLeica, and it actually complements the Olympus 25mm: The Sigma has superseded the 25mm as part of my core kit (the EDC, do-it-all one) while the 25mm has joined my travel kit.

So my recommendation is clear: The Sigma represents fantastic value for its price - and I would certainly choose it again.

M.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    You should be a Sigma salesman!

4. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Well, I stated in another thread that I'm probably a brand buff when it comes to Sigma - but only because all the lenses I tried and bought from them managed to convince me to a large extend (with one exception I'm still not totally sure about - but not because of optical quality; I'll tell that tale in the appropriate place - over at SeriousCompacts - once I get to the bottom of the issue). No other brand has been so consistently delivering the goods for me when it comes to lenses. Don't get me wrong, some of my favourite and most used lenses come from Olympus and Nikon (and I also love the Panasonic 20mm), but Sigma makes maxing out in terms of IQ pretty affordable.

The 30mm f/1.4 is a great lens to shoot with, and images are as they should be; whatever mine lack so far is my fault - which is one of the main reasons I haven't posted any yet; time was tight for shooting and post processing in the last couple of weeks, and I found nothing I like to show in the short review I could do of my shots so far. I'm out of town for the next couple of days, but after I'm back, post processing (as well as shooting) will have high priority again.

I hope my enthusiasm doesn't bug you, but if it does, feel free to ignore my posts about Sigma lenses :)

M.

5. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    Very happy with mine. Down sides ? Could probably pack another filter in the bag if I'd keep the oly 25

• Like Like x 1
  6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I have both. I use the Sigma only for my portrait work. Image quality is good on both. If I have to keep one though, it will be the PL25. I like 25mm for general purpose photography and it is smaller.

• Like Like x 1
  7. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Only have the 30mm and early days but so far i love it. Versatile, cheapish, well built.

• Like Like x 1
  8. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Thanks folks. That's helpful.

9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I saw your recent portrait with the sigma and it sure renders well. I've got the Oly 45 and I just find it to long for many occasions.