25 + 42,5 or 30?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by BigTam, Sep 30, 2016.

1. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I have the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 and the 42.5mm f1.7. I use the 42.5 mostly for the occasional portrait and for photographing paintings for documentary purposes. I love the look of the 25, but my 15mm f1.7 gets more use.

I'm thinking of selling both and getting a Sigma 30mm f1.4 instead. Long enough to replace the 42.5, short enough to replace the 25? Or not?

2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Not sure this would make sense to me. If you mainly used the 25 and occasionally used the 42.5 maybe. But swapping both for something closer to the lens you use less? We have just about the same setups based on your signature, it's not something I would consider.

3. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Sorry David, maybe I didn't make myself clear. I use the 15 by far the most, then the 25, and the 42.5 the least, by far.

4. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    When I had the Sigma 30/2.8, I kind of liked the focal length for portraits. The 42.5 does offer you OIS, but if you don't use it much, I guess that's no big deal. On the other hand, your 42.5 is your second longest lens -- only the 14-140 gives you more telephoto.

I'd probably suggest that if you can afford it, just buy the Sigma 30mm, hide the 42.5 and 25, and see whether the Sigma does replace those two lenses before deciding which lenses to sell. Another option might be to keep the 25mm and replace the 42.5 with the Sigma 60.

But honestly, maybe you should just keep what you have -- I try to avoid changing just for the sake of changing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I keep thinking I might like the Sigma 30/1.4...

I only had the opportunity to use the 25/1.7 briefly before I gave it to my mom for Christmas (my 2nd $99 lens order got cancelled, so I gave her mine), but I liked it quite a bit. But I would feel guilty having both a 20mm and a 25mm, especially with such a similar aperture. Having a 30mm/1.4 seems like a nice distinction from the 20mm, and offers even more subject separation potential than the 25/1.2, let alone the 25/1.4 which is more in the realistic world of possibilities.

How much blur? - A visual background blur calculator

If only there were a cheap old Canon FD, Nikon, or M42 fit ~42mm/f2 that I could try out on my focal reducer to see if I like it or not...

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    @Turbofrog@Turbofrog, there's a 45/2 Rokkor, cheap.
    I see some 3D printed SR to FD adapters online.

7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    That makes more sense now.

I read it as the 15 was used over the 25 and you had a specific use for the 42.5. When I got to the point where m4/3 was my "everything but event system" I looked at every piece of Nikon gear I had. If I didn't have a specific use for it, I sold it. So by that standard I'm still not sure about selling the 42.5, but I guess you could use the 14-140.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just a minor bit of correction - the 25mm f1.2 will have a tiny bit more subject isolation with near backgrounds and the 30mm f1.4 with infinity backgrounds, but I'd call them equal. For $330 vs 1200, I'd say the Sigma is a steal.

I was looking at the Sigma 30mm, but I really don't need the light gathering. I just wanted a short portrait lens with lots of blur. And the 42.5mm f1.7 gives significantly more blur outdoors where backgrounds are going to be a little farther. It doesn't give much up for close bg, either. And it's got OIS, close focusing, it is much lighter and smaller, costs about the same. So I think the OP will be giving up quite a bit.

The biggest reason I wouldn't get a 30mm f1.4 is because it's quite large compared to the 25 1.8 and 42.5mm 1.7, which means I wouldn't drag it along every day.

Sigma-30mm-F1.4-DC-DN-lens-review.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    True, my aim was to have one less lens in the bag. When travelling, and when I know I'll be outdoors all the time, I just take a small bag with the two zooms. The rest of the time, I'd like just two primes. And all four would fit in the larger bag.

10. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    @Turbofrog@Turbofrog, there's also a Konica 40/1.8 (no stop at 2.0) which I believe should be easily adaptable to Canon EF and Nikon.

11. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Off topic, but unfortunately the 40mm Konica won't fit a speed bosster without serious modification. The flange distance is shorter than nikon f/g or canon ef.

I'm also considering the 30mm (or the mitakon) as a companion to the 20mm.

Back to BigTam's Q though, I agree with tkbslc. I think it's a hard one to predict. You may find it doesn't really comfortably cover either lens, and size/weight benefit to the change will be minimal. When you do use the 42.5mm and 25mm do you find either to be too long/short, or do the FOV fit you so well you can see the shot before the camera is on?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Thanks, Barry. I've considered the 45/2 in the past, but my attempts with 3D printed SR adapters have not fared well in the past. It works okay, but it's not confidence inspiring. To the point where I wouldn't trust my 300g Sigma 90mm Macro on it. I guess the 45/2 is smaller, lighter, and cheaper, so it's a bit more manageable. Still, I imagine that the tolerances in the 3D printed adapters won't do a lot for the quality at ultrafast apertures. I already have a 50/1.4 that I use on my focal reducer occasionally, so I'd prefer to go down to 40-42mm for a bigger difference, though I don't think there are any options except the pricey Voigtlander Ultron 40/f2 in M42 mount.

As Manzoid said, sadly the 40mm Konica won't fit. I've thought about that one in the past, too.

All good points. As far light-gathering needs go, 30/1.4 is too narrow for general indoor shooting, which is where the 20/1.7 really does excel, and the longer FL requires shorter shutter speeds, which basically wipe out the aperture advantage. But it would be a nice lens for outdoor night photography...

The 42.5/1.7 or 45/1.8 are nice, but they're really just totally different focal lengths, and for how often I use a longer prime like that, I am quite happy with the image quality and the tactile experience of my adapted fast 50. Hence my interest in the 30/1.4, which really is just more of a long-normal than a short-telephoto.

Honestly, I don't know, haha. @Albert.@Albert. 's shots with the Mitakon 25/0.95 really impressed me, too. They have a great feel to them, very much like what I'm getting out of the 35mm film I'm shooting these days. Not in the same ballpark as my 6x7 camera, but I really do think that getting a similar look as that requires downsampling from one of the ~36+ MP FF bodies to get close to the same mix of crispy detail and smooth blur.

13. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I find the gaps between 15, 25 and 42.5 not quite large enough. And since I have two bodies, just two primes has the advantage of not needing to swap lenses. The 30 on the GX7 would have IS, and the 15 on the GM5 is a lovely stealth combination.

In general I prefer wide. I shoot a lot of church interiors, and 15 is good for that. For detail shots the 30 or 42.5 is fine, maybe I would have to crop more with the 30. Indoor head shots should be good with the 30 where sometimes the 42.5 is too long (small european rooms!).

Plus I'm a Scot, so I would be saving about 150€ on the swap :)

14. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    Not quite what you have but I used to have a 45 f1.8 ( wonderful but rarely used by me as its too long ) and a 25 f1.8.

I found the 25 great - tiny, sharp, everything you read is true but I wanted less DoF on occasion. So it went and as replaced by the ( much ) larger sigma 30 f1.4 which gives around half the DoF compared to the o25. On the other hand, there was little outlay as I sold the Oly for pretty much what I paid for the sigma new.

Sometimes I feel that 30mm is a little long but it really is a wonderful lens - the price is almost too low for the image quality

• Like Like x 1
  15. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Well, I'm in the UK right now and the plummeting pound means I can get the Sigma 30mm at about 20% less than in Euros in Germany. So I've ordered one from Hilton in Hull to pick up before I take the ferry back to Germany. If it doesn't work out, I'll sell it at no loss in Germany, and keep the 25/42.5 duo. If I like it, then they go on sale :)

16. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I've just picked up a used version from Ffordes in the UK. I couldn't decide between the 30mm/1.4 or 25mm/1.4, but the £190 price tag swung me towards the 30mm. I'm a bit apprehensive about the size though, but I'm hoping that the performance will convince me to keep it.

17. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Sell all of those and replace with the Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 zoom. Problem solved.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Or just get better at using gaussian blurs in post processing.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    2.8 doesn't quite do it for me: I need the low-light capability, not so much the thin DOF.

20. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Rock your ISO - I sez ...

• Like Like x 1