25/1,4; bright WA; bright zoom

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by oceans, Sep 22, 2010.

1. oceans

oceans Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Non qualified guess... About the same as the PanaLeica 25 1.4?
    What say you sir?

3. oceans

oceans Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    But we wonts micro sized... anyway, supposing it does materialize it's still only under consideration, then development, then production. Then a really long shelf time for 50% off.

No pancake with those specs, but unless it's rather smallish and lighter or OIS then what could be the main selling point over a 2nd hand PL25/1,4, supposing optical performance is on par?

4. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    The "etc" leave some room for thought ... :tongue:

5. arpoador

arpoador Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Actually, there are several factors that affect the size of the lens:
    1) The focal length (of course). This particularly affects the length.
    2) The aperture. This affects both the diameter and length.
    3) The image circle. Here we'll see some advantage from the 4/3 format. But clearly the big 4/3 PanaLeica 25 isn't that small.
    4) The flange depth. Here's where the µ4/3 form factor helps.
    5) The actual design, minimum focus, etc.

The 4/3 sensor is half as big across as full frame, and the flange depth is also approximately half that of the typical full frame format. Simple geometry suggests that all other things being equal (same design, same focus range, etc.) linear dimensions for the glass in a µ4/3 25mm f/1.4 lens should be approximately half the same dimensions for a full frame 50mm f/1.4 lens, with the adapter attached. (In fact, the length would be half as big measured from the little Ø mark at the top of the camera.) The weight could actually be 1/8!

Of course, all other things are never equal, and the OIS and autofocus mechanisms don't scale down in a linear way. Plus Panasonic likes to make their lenses fat. (Look at how much fatter the 45mm f/2.8 is than the glass would suggest.)

Even so, I'd expect a much smaller lens. Maybe 2 times the depth of the 20mm f/1.7 lens, and a slightly bigger diameter. (The glass would be much bigger diameter.) A little bigger around if they put in OIS.

That's my guess.

I just wish I didn't have to wait another year. That would be a much more interesting lens (to my eyes) than a 14mm f/2.5.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Rawfa

Rawfa Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 17, 2009
    I´m thinking four figures price wise :(

7. oceans

oceans Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    I'm thinking three plus the 20/1,7.

8. arpoador

arpoador Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Agreed. If it's got the Leica name on it, my guess is that it will be the price of the 4/3 PanaLeica plus a $200 to $300 µ4/3 premium.

If it's just Lumix, I'll bet it will anchor their new higher end, just above the price of the 7-14mm and the new 100-300mm.

They've already got a 20mm at a lower price, so they can afford to pitch this one high.

9. Rawfa

Rawfa Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Exactly my thoughts :smile:

10. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I just hope for everyones sake that the micro 4/3 version is as good as the 4/3 version - if thats the case I am guessing a high price - then again they may trade off some of that quality for price.

I have just got the 4/3 version and really really love it - you can see the Leica influence in almost every shot

Panaleica 25/1.4 - a set on Flickr

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinparis2007/5004659294/" title="the roadie by kevinparis, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="375" alt="the roadie" /></a>

K

• Like Like x 2
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I just saw this at 43 Rumors. Is it real?? Looks like Photochoppery, and I didn't notice coverage on any other news sites, and the "etc" in the bottom right corner is too much!

12. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    That's because it's "Under consideration.":

So, much as I'd like it, not real yet. Probably wasn't covered because it's not actually news.