24mm to 28mm legacy recommendations

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by manju69, Nov 16, 2011.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    While i save for the PL25! (which could well be a long save!), I might try and pick up a similar FL legacy lens. Any recommendations? Anything with similar quality as the Konica 40mm would be great, and the brighter the better, especially as you nearly always need to stop down with legacy lenses. Compact size is good too... I tried a miranda 24mm macro but found it a bit dull.
    Thanks to whoever answers in case I forget..I love this forum!
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    My favorite is the Olympus OM 24/2.8. Sharp, good contrast and a terrific lens. Should be able to find a good one for around $200 or so. It's the only other lens (after my Panasonic 20) that I would not part with.

If you don't mind a slower lens the OM 28/3.5 is legendary in Japan. I also think the 28/2.8 is a good lens and very affordable. I also like the Konica 28/3.5 (probably the best bargain) and 24/2.8 (the Konica 24 is a kind of big lens for a 24). Also the Super Takumar 28/3.5 has an amazing build quality and lovely rendering.
  3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not cheap but very nice (I think anyway) is Nikon Nikkor AIS 28mm F2.8. Luckily I didn't have to pay for it!
  4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    In general 28mm lenses can be had for little money and 24mm lenses are generally much more expensive. I have Minolta 28mm lenses as well as a Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8; the latter is excellent and even useable wide-open but commands high prices, typically € 200 in Europe. The Minolta 28/2.8 MD lenses are quite good and quite affordable (~ € 30), the best samples are just about useable wide-open and very good at f/5.6; here is an example. A Minolta Rokkor 28/2 is quite expensive, at least € 150, and is not as good as a 28/2.8, especially corner sharpness is disappointing; the later Minolta MD 28/2 without the Rokkor designation is the best of the Minolta bunch, but very hard to come by and also expensive, € 100-150. Others here may offer their opinion on other brands/lenses, I have no experience with them.

If you're planning to get a PanaLeica 25/1.4, I think it's wise not to spend too much on legacy glass, so a 28/2.8 would be the wisest choice. These can be had for less than € 50 from many brands like Canon, Olympus, Minolta, Nikon, Konica and Pentax. Add the usual adapter from HongKong for less than € 20 and you're set.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Spaceghost33

Spaceghost33 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    OM 28

I have the Olympus 28mm 2.8 on my GF1 and am very pleased with it.
  6. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    I had a Sigma 24mm 2.8 that was probably similar to your Miranda macro, and sold it for its bulkiness. If you don't mind shooting wide open all the time, the Pentax 110 24mm f/2.8 is insanely compact.

7. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I have the vivitar 24mm f2.8 in OM mount that does very good work, though it is a heavy lens. I am getting ready to list it here, just been a bit lazy getting it done. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow.
  8. compositor20

compositor20 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2010
    i have a vivitar kiron 24mm f2.0 in canon fd mount that i want to sell since i have the panasonic 20mm f1.7 and my girlfriend wont use it while i have the vivitar so its a lens that i dont use often... for video its very good great colours and contrast but aberrations are high at f2.0 but in video that doesnt matter... mine is a pristine copy!
  9. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
  10. chrith

chrith Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2010
    Have you considered a 25 mm c mount? super cheap and the focal length you are looking for. Even though the results are not as traditional it could be fun to play around with to get an idea of that focal length
  11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Agree. Canon FD 28/2.8s are dirt cheap on eBay. But it's not an especially interesting focal length on the 2x crop factor, IMO unless it's a fast lens, and f/2.8 isn't that fast. The only fast 25mm lenses (besides the m4/3 ones) are some of the C-mount lenses, which tend to be good for particular optical effects, but generally a bit odd.

12. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I have a $42 Sirius 28mm f2.8 in OM that can close focus to 8 inches. I really like the lens for that reason, but it's not really sharp until you get to f5.6.
  13. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    I have taken a look and for fun they look good but for not much more I can pick up a 28 f2.8 which will get more use. Plus I already have an olympus adapter. One thing I do know is 25mm is a focal length I love. I even went through my exit data on my kit lens pics. And nearly all the ones I have kept were around that. I got SO used to my 50mm prime all those years ago at art college, it's like I see that way. So I am
    saving for the PL25. If only Olympus would release a cheaper version!
  14. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
  15. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Funny thing...since I wrote that I did in fact part with my OM 24/2.8 (still think it's a superb lens) and switched to a Hexanon 24/2.8 (still thinks it's a tank size wise). I think I just wanted some change for change's sake. The OM is sharper wide open but I think the Hexanon is hard to beat after 5.6. The build quality on the Hexanon is great (I have the older EE version). I think the OM is amazing for its compactness and color but I am finding something about the way the Hexanon renders things to be very appealing. Not sure where you'll find a direct t comparison between the OM24 and the Sigma. Perhaps some folks here have both and would be willing to post a few shots.

BTW, that Pentax 110 24/2.8 is pretty cool. I have one and it really is amazingly small.
  16. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    I just picked a tokina 24mm f2.8 canon fd mount and I'm pretty impressed. It's reasonably sharp wide open.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/68737955@N06/6835074373/" title="Dad_crop by Rich_00, on Flickr">[​IMG]"640" height="480" alt="Dad_crop"></a>
  17. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    tokina 24mm f2.8 and tamron 24/2.5 was the alternatif before i decide the sigma 24/2.8, looks sharp at the wide open
  18. correos.e

correos.e Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Check this forum for the Wesley 24mm CCTV. It looks like a very good deal for $50, not a toy lens...