1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

24 monitor for photo edit - number of features to keep in mind

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by PantelisMor, May 29, 2015.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    I found in Internet the number of features to keep in mind for photographic use

Size

• notdropbelow 24 inches
    • monitor 16:10 but fits perfectly into pictures taken with the landscape orientation
    • this is the dimension that at the moment it offers the best price/performance ratio.
    TN or IPS?

So the IPS monitor is the best monitor for photography mainly for two reasons:

• Allows you to play a very large number of colors (close to 100% of the color space sRGB),
    • Provides a visual angle very high.

Matte screen or GlossyScreen?

If they will be shown on just one screen, both of them are no problems. If they will be utilized for print, then opt for matte, which will have better saturation as a result of the glossy screens. Glossy is not the same as what you will get with print.

Standard Gamut or Wide Gamut (Extended Gamut)?

sRGB color gamut does. Adobe colors that can be printed via your inkjet printer are actually not in the range of the SRGB colors. As a result, your camera can provide these colors and they can be printed with your printer. However, youcannotseethemonyourmonitor.

Wide gamut monitors get rid of this issue.

However, if you really want to use sRGB, then you should buy a display that is available with a sRGB that is programmable.

LED Monitors

ask attention to buy a monitor RGB LED and not el-wled .

Coverage of the color space

The amount of colors covered by monitor is calculated in proportion to the color space sRGB or Adobe RGB, ,search monitor that reach at least 95%.

Viewing Angle

Choose a monitor with at least 120° of visual angle horizontal and possibly the same for the vertical.

Resolution

For a monitor by 23 or 24 inches, the size that I advised before, do not fall under a native resolution of 1920 * 1200.

Digitalconnection

Now all of the monitors should be equipped with a digital connection, HDMI or DVI.

I try to find the right monitor, I think to buy a dell 24 monitor.

I have in my mind these:
    Dell Ultra HD 4K Monitor P2415Q

Dell Ultrasharp U2415 24-Inch

Dell UltraSharp U2414H 23.8 inch Widescreen

Asus ProArt PA248QJ 24-inch

Which monitor do you believe will be the best choice ???

Thx a lot

2. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Before you make a final decision look at www.monoprice.com. One of the 24's that they have is the same as the big Mac monitor, but without the Apple price tag.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Good call out...Monoprice is a good source for aggressively-priced desktop monitors. However, their 24" offerings are limited to 1080P, which IMHO is not sufficient resolution. You might want to consider their 27" (2560x1440) or 28" 4K monitors which may be priced competitively with the high-end Dell 24" options (which are also great choices).

4. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    24" is nice, but not s big as you think. 27" is much better if you have budget. 32 or 34 more do of course. 32 seems a practical limit for the average desk/work area.

The new HP monitors: 5K models are getting great reviews. Not cheap, but not the most expensive. Their 27 and 32 are also well rated and reasonably priced.

A monitor is something you'll likely keep for a very long time, so it's an ok items to splurge on and a poor one to skimp.

5. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Are any of those 27 or 32 models touchscreen?

6. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Im a fan of this setup LG 34UM95...lots of room for real estate.
    IMG_1884.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  7. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Looks great. This model gets GREAT reviews and isn't all that expensive.

8. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I haven't looked into that. Wouldn't be surprised if at least one was.

9. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I have an older 24" IPS HP monitor and have been very satisfied. Price was cheaper than the Dell and I believe used the same panel. Not sure if the situation has changed.

10. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I'm leaning towards this one. http://m.store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/st...es-88342--1/hp-envy-34c-34-inch-media-display

Curved doesn't matter to me, but I like the ability to have two separate sources simultaneously. I often have a TV or news show running on my iPad when I'm working. The ability to have image and sound through the speakers alone or in parallel with the PC on would be nice.

Waiting for a few more reviews of the display quality though.

Back to the OP though. These are the Z displays. They get great reviews, aren't too expensive, but certainly aren't cheap. One will last forever.
    http://www8.hp.com/us/en/m/campaigns/workstations/zdisplays.html

11. jyndi

jyndi Mu-43 Rookie

May 7, 2015
    Australia
    I don't know about the current ones, but I have an 8 (!) year old Dell 24" monitor. It was their premium model at the time; I got it cheap when I was working night shift and awake at 2am to take advantage of a typoed price on their website (they fixed it within the hour). But it has been 100% reliable and the picture quality even after 8 years is superb (for a 1080). If I had to replace it, I'd probably go for the Dell U2415 from your list, unless I went for something larger.

12. EMC

EMC Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    Garden Grove, Calif.
    Eddie
    NEC with calibration........

13. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Forget all of the monitors you have listed, instead look at wide gamut NEC Spectra view monitors.

• Like Like x 1
  14. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    All the 4k monitor reviews I've read are saying that FullHD versions are still better. The (image) quality isn't as good yet. I have a 24" ASUS Pro (can't remember exact model) and it's my first - and probably last - ASUS monitor. After one year I found 3 dead pixels and now there's a greenish line in the left side of the monitor that travels from top to bottom. Looks pretty awful.

15. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    You're suggesting a pretty big price jump here. The 1920x1200 24" Dell U2415 sells for $350 while the NEC P2452W-BK-SV with similar specs sells for around $870 which is almost 2.5 times more. I realize the NEC comes with a color-calibration setup (which sells separately for around $300), but that's still a pretty big difference. I guess it comes down to how color-critical the work you're doing, but I would have a very hard time justifying the difference outside of a professional environment.

16. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    Sorry but Dell u2415 isn't calibrated ???

17. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm far from an expert, but as far as I understand for maximum color "accuracy" every monitor needs to be calibrated in the environment in which it is set up using some sort of color calibration system like a Spyder, Color Munki, etc. It seems that NEC is bundling their own calibration system with these "high color gamut" monitors of theirs.

18. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
  19. EMC

EMC Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    Garden Grove, Calif.
    Eddie
    If you plan on putting out photographs that you shot in RAW, then want to process them......it gets to a point where you want your work/shots to look as Real in color as possible. Once you start using a calibrated monitor you'll never go back..........take the $$$ you have for a monitor, save, eat less, drink less but, get something that you can calibrate. The NEC is nice stuff.......you'll enjoy shots more IMHO! What's good about a lens that has exceptional color rendition and then you can't see correctly.....jus sayin.

20. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    Finally i think i will buy a 27 monitor..
    I think
    Dell UltraSharp U2715H 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor
    or
    ASUS PB278Q

i think these are calibrated monitor....

are these good options ?