24-Hour Sale: Adobe Lightroom for $69.95! Photoshop Elements too.

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    This is by far the best deal I've seen on Adobe Lightroom (my RAW processing app of choice), currently discounted from $269.95 to $69.95.

Please use our affiliate link so we get a small credit for the referral: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Software for Mac & Windows B&H

Adobe Photoshop Elements, regularly $129.95, is also on sale for $69.95.

Our affiliate link: Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 & Premiere Elements B&H

Using our links does not change your price, but the store gives us a small percentage (typically 2-4%) for the referral. Please note that in order for us to get credit for referring you, you have to click our link before putting the item in your cart, and you cannot click another site's pre-order link after clicking ours.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    It isn't that good of a deal.

Lightroom 4 is coming out sometime soon, and you can use the LR 4 beta for free.
  3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Deleted message.
  4. CeGeDee

CeGeDee Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 3, 2012
    Yorktown, VA
    According to Adobe, "Lightroom 4 beta will remain active through March 2012". I assume that it will become disabled after the release version is available.

The 24-h deal is still there, but you have to search for Lightroom within the B&H site. I hope that they did not intentionally provide a wrong link just to avoid giving Mu-43 its dues!

Anyway, I got my deal. Thanks, Amin!
  5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Thanks! That was way weird how the sales price doesn't show up via the MU43 link ...
  6. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Well I'm sure they will have a few release candidates after the beta that you can also use for free. My point was that it isn't worth spending money on LR3 right now when LR4 is just around the corner.

I've already switched to using the Beta even though I own LR3.
  7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They are sold out! If you search "lightroom" you can find it but it is listed as "out of stock , expected delivery Feb24".
  8. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    I still managed to buy it at the sale price even though it's out of stock. Search for 'lightroom' and the discounted price will still be there. I don't know why the full price appears if you use the referral link above. Hopefully mu-43 still gets the credit this way!
  9. EddyKilowatt

EddyKilowatt New to Mu-43

Jun 21, 2011
    Anyone recall what the price was for LR2 owners to upgrade to LR3? Or have a guess as to how much it'll be this time (LR3 to LR4)?

All these inventory-clearance prices on LR3 make me think Adobe isn't going to give much credit when upgrading.
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, we still get the credit, thanks! Not sure why the above links aren't taking people to the sale price. When I click on those links I see the $69.95 price. At any rate, your method works too. Thanks for your support :smile:.
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think the links should be fixed now. Price goes up at midnight tonight!
  12. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I clicked the link, got the price, and bought the program (thanks for the tip, Amin!). I'm not crazy about LR, but for that price, I don't have to be!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. speedandstyle

I agree , this is the price this software app should be sold at! And Photoshop CS5 should be $199.99!{maybe $299.99 but no more}. Some companies software is just way overpriced , sad thing is Adobe isn't the worst.

Anybody know what new features LR4 will have? Often with Adobe products there are just a few tweaks per update. I usually wait one or two versions before updating any software{unless there is something really good that is!}.

I went ahead and ordered a copy because as I said the price is right for this app. Now does anybody know a good LR3 video tutorial series that isn't too expensive?
  14. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    I finally have my excuse to dump Picasa/Picasaweb and switch to LR + Smugmug. I like Picasa for how easy it is but I resent they're trying to channel everything into Google+.

15. RedNumber5

RedNumber5 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Antioch, CA
    Thanks for the the discount! I was planning on getting the Student/Teacher edition but you have to go through a process to prove you are a student/teacher to get the software activated but now I don't have to. I wonder if LR 4 upgrade will be free or at least at a major discount since it is so close to being released.
  16. speedandstyle

You can't update the education versions! So best to get the regular one if updating is something you want.
  17. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    thanks for the heads-up! i got a copy by clicking through and searching :)
  18. joanas-pangenber

joanas-pangenber New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2012

Adobe has four products called "Photoshop."

Photoshop CS3 is the big professional pixel-by-pixel graphics program that's become a household verb since 1990. CS3 comes in several strengths.

Lightroom is more formally called "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2." This is what I'm reviewing in this article. Most people just call it "Lightroom."

Photoshop Elements is a basic version of Photoshop CS3 for picture editing. It is quite flexible at a bargain price. I have not used the recent versions, however previous versions have had a very large portion of Photoshop's abilities while being even even easier to use than the full version of Photoshop. The latest versions of Photoshop Elements even do web galleries and Flash galleries.

Photoshop Express is a free online version.

This Review

Cameras are easy to review. Every camera is designed to do pretty much the same thing as every other camera: take pictures. With decades of experience, it's easy for me to use a camera and then speak volumes about its performance for almost every kind of use.

Software is very difficult to review. Every piece of software is designed to do something completely different. Even if two pieces of software are designed for the same purpose, every piece of software will do it differently.

I work in Photoshop CS2 so much all day and night that I actually have had dreams where all I do is work in Photoshop CS2. That's scary, but even I use only a small fraction of CS2's total capabilities.

Everyone has their own way of working their photos. I use iView to sort, organize and pick my photos. If I print them, my JPGs usually go straight to my local Costco's photo kiosk without editing. If I need to edit an image, or simply resize and brand it with my © for this website, I use Photoshop CS2. I use Dreamweaver 8 to put it all together into this website.

Because you all want to know what I think of Lightroom, I got a copy to evaluate. There is no way I could spend months working in it all day, every day to cover every possible nuance.

If you're already a Lightroom 2 expert, there isn't much I'll be able to tell you that you don't already know. I have used it enough to let you know what I think of it overall, and as compared to other software. That's the point of this review.

Lightroom 2

Personally, I haven't used use Lightroom much, but half of my friends use it a lot, and every single one who uses Lightroom loves it. (I explain my workflow in detail if you care.)

Unlike most products, which do a little customer research and then hide out for 18 months blindly developing what some guy in a big company thought we wanted, Lightroom has been developed with constant, continuing and intense feedback from all users via Adobe's beta system.

This is why I don't need to spend much time trying to comment on how I like the program. Unlike most products in this world, Lightroom is an amalgam of what we all wanted. This is why photographers love it so much.

Lightroom 2 just works. It installed instantly, and everything is just obvious to figure out. I never had to resort to any help or training; I just fiddled around and it worked.

The Sync Button.

The biggest reason I hear photographers love Lightroom is because it's trivial to apply the same correction, regardless of how complex it may be, to as many other images as you like. If you want to lighten and change the WB on 100 images after you set the first one, just hit "Sync" and it applies the same correction to them all. Make a mistake or want to tweak the tweak? No problem, just do it: none of the changes are permanent.

Lightroom isn't just a sorting program. Lightroom is about five different programs all rolled into one, all of which work extremely well together.

From what I can see, Lightroom 2 is the world's first single piece of software that could be the only piece of photo software a moderately serious photographer might ever need.

Lightroom sorts. That's the Library part. Personally, I prefer iView for this, but that's just me.

Lightroom edits and optimizes. That's the Develop part. I use Photoshop CS2 for this, which can do more, but is a lot more difficult to use.

The biggest single addition in Lightroom 2, that finally makes it a program for real photographers, is that it can do localized burning, dodging and corrections.

Lightroom 1 was only a kid's program since it couldn't do any localized corrections. The ability to alter different parts of an image has been the most critical part of being a photographer since the 1800s.

Lightroom does slideshows, the Slideshow part.

Lightroom optimizes for printing, and can create multiple images on pages. That's the Print part. I don't use this.

Lightroom not only can make web galleries, it can upload these pages via FTP all by itself! You don't need any other program for uploading.

Just enter your own web server information, or you can publish directly from Lightroom 2 to your SmugMug, Picassa, Flickr and other accounts.

Lightroom can make HTML galleries, which are the same type I do by hand the hard way in Dreamweaver 8, as well as make spiffy Flash (animated) galleries.

Lightroom is loaded with nice graphics, much nicer than the galleries I do manually for myself.

Lightroom 1

I tried Lightroom 1.0 back in 2007. It was still klunky, at least in the early version I tried, and I never got too excited about it.

Lightroom 2 is a huge improvement over Lightroom 1. Not only does everything just work better in Lightroom 2, the lack of localized editing made Lightroom 1 no more than a toy.

Lightroom 2.0 is easy to install and start using.

After the super-easy installation, it was easy to type in my serial number and just go.

I wish all software was this easy. I doubt that I had to spend as much as 60 seconds to get it loaded, installed, up and running.

Lightroom is an efficient program. The whole package only needs about 80 MB of hard disk space. 80 MB is the size of a few RAW files. Heck, to you people who still use bloated software which measure hard disc wastage in gigabytes, 80 MB is only 0.08 GB!

You can install Lightroom and not even notice any loss of hard drive space, even on a computer way too old to run it. Thank you, Adobe!

Lightroom is a dynamic program, meaning everything is calculated on the fly as you work.

The advantage is that you never have to hit Reload to see what you've got or what you're doing, but the disadvantage is that it uses a lot of computing power just to scroll the screen or look at images at 100%.

I have a suspicion that I'm overly sensitive to this, but my biggest complaint is that images and thumbnails always take a moment to pop in. If you scroll the Library view, it can take a second to redraw the thumbnails sharply. This drives me up a wall, and is one reason I would not use Lightroom for myself, but I've never heard anyone else complain. By comparison, a program like iView which generates catalogs, takes a while to catalog the first time, but runs instantly every time after that.

If you want to sort through images faster at 100%, go to LIBRARY > PREVIEWS and select RENDER 1:1 Images. This way Lightroom will render these in advance, which is especially helpful for sorting through raw images. Otherwise, it takes a moment to load each image as you're trying to flick through them at 100%. Pre-rendering these at 1:1 makes your Lightroom library, saved in your Pictures/Lightroom folder on Mac, much larger, and also takes a while to crunch on all the images.

After I did all this, it still could take a moment to draw each image at 100%, but at least raw files didn't take any more time than JPGs.

Most programs, just like LIghtroom, allow you to select between showing all your thumbnails, or just one big image on screen.

Lightroom also has a 2-up feature where you can see before and after (adjustments), or compare a "picked" image to others you might prefer.

Survey view

Lightroom has a very flexible feature, called "Survey View," that allows us to show any number of images at the same time, all made to fit the screen.

We can select 10 "maybes" (CMD+Click on each one to select while in Grid View), and show them by hitting the Survey View button. All 10 then show on-screen. As we dump the weak ones (CMD+Click to remove them from the selection), the survivors grow to fill the remaining space on screen. Press "P" to mark them as a pick.
  19. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  20. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Adobe has lots of free tutorials, too