1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

24 Foot TTL Cord

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gsciorio, Jul 14, 2012.

1. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Hey everyone, I'm starting a 30 location + 3 cover editorial shoot. It's a pretty large job which will take me from now into September to shoot. I'm looking to have a large TTL cord for off camera flash when the wireless flash TTL system might have issue (around corners, bright sun).

Looks like these TTL cords should work with Olympus. Any thoughts or suggestions?

FlashZebra.com: Off Camera ETTL Cord for Canon — 7.5 Meter (24 Feet) Straight Cord (Item #0125)

Do think the larger contacts of this cord to be an advantage or potential problem?

Interfit Multi-Fit TTL Cord for Nikon/Canon/Fuji Cameras STR137

Thanks!

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Giulio,
    I've had some bad experiences using 3rd party TTL cords. The problem lies in the size of the spring loaded pins that WANT to make contact with the receiving contacts in the hot shoe on the camera. As you can see in the photo, the pins have a very large radius that rides on the insulating plastic around the receiving contacts in the hot shoe and prevent actual metal to metal contact between the pins and the hot shoe contacts. The problem is with the DATA pins, not the hot center pin. I ended up making a "safe sync" and installing inside the TTL cord head that attaches to the camera. The circuit is small enough to fit on your thumb nail and works for high powered flash units. It was designed to use the high trigger voltage (200+ VDC) Olympus Quick Auto 310 on digital cameras with max. trigger volt of 6 VDC.
    Here's the link in case you would like to make your own safe sync.

http://olympus.dementix.org/Hardware/PDFs/FlashHighVoltTrig.pdf

The cords I have are NOT the ones you give reference to, mine have the "Aperture" brand name from Fotodiox, and some no-name look-a-likes from e-bay. I ended up buying the Olympus brand which works flawlessly, the reason being their pin design is that which is like the pins on the flash.
    Don't forget the "CLP" setting on your Olympus flash,gGood luck on your project.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rkelac

rkelac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Thanks for the detailed info. So I'm clear, you made the safe-sync so that in the even the pins from the TTL cord touches some metal on the hotshoe the camera is safe.

I'll be getting the Olympus TTL cord but I want something long when I'm not able to shoot wireless and something that does not have any tension on it which could accidentally pull down a light stand.

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Yes, that is correct, but keep in mind, the flash only works in manual or the old fashion auto mode due to the over sized spring loaded pins as shown in the photo. If the pins were the correct size, the cord could be used as a TTL cord with the added feature of having a safe sync built in for those high trigger voltage flashes that would be used in manual or old fashion auto.

6. Joe_B

Joe_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2012
    Davis, California
    Giulio Sciorio,

I enjoy your blog and I just to throw out another option...

Syl Arena has written a book about using Canon Speedlites, "The Speedliter’s Handbook" and has a business called Off-Camera Flash Gear. Off-Camera Flash Gear sells Off-Camera Flash Cords that are 3, 16, and 33 foot lengths. Since the Canon flash contacts overlap the pattern of the Olympus flash contacts they are good to use if you are going from an Olympus camera body to an Olympus flash.

Off-Camera Cords | PixSylated | Syl Arena's Blog on Light & Imagemaking

ETTL Cord for Canon Speedlites | Off-Camera Flash Cord | OCF Gear

I don't have any connection to Syl other than having purchased one of his long off camera flash cords for my Canon DSLR last fall.

Please share what you come up with.

Joe

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    The spring loaded pins appear to be large, not to say they would cause the same problem I encountered, they may be of higher quality and work fine. The other thing I notice, just like the cheap cords, the head that attaches to the hot shoe has the cable exiting to the front, this is a real pain on m43. The Olympus has the cable exiting the top, so it does not interfere with the lens.

8. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL