24" Dell U2412M UltraSharp IPS 1920x1200 LED Monitor $267 + Free Shipping

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  3. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Amin... that is a shockingly low price for a good IPS 24" matte display. (IPS is the only way to go, in my view, and this one is less than half of what one would expect for this quality. And matte is the smartest choice for image editing.) Great choice that many should appreciate very much.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    IPS prices have crashed across the board, and a huge number of Dell's screens -- and laptop screens -- are now IPS. It's a good thing.

5. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I just bought this last week actually! Really pleased so far.

6. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    gahhh... I can even get it a little bit cheaper here in Japan. Must resist!! :eek:

7. JLphoto

JLphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    San Francisco/Marin County
    Jack
    Got this back in December for around $200. Has been a great second monitor for my MBP

8. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
  9. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Not sure what the difference is, but Asus recently launched the PA249 upgrade to the PA248. Amazon.com: ASUS PA249Q 24-Inch Screen LCD Monitor: Computers & Accessories As both the 248 and 249 are usb3.0, I'm not sure how much of a difference $240 makes. I've also been looking to buy an IPS monitor to dock w/ my 11" MBA for home use, but I have no idea what I really need to look for.

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It looks like the PA248Q is similar to the Dell I listed, while the PA249Q is a wide gamut display. If you work in Adobe RGB or ProPhotoRGB and want to see the differences between all the colors on screen, the PA249Q will display 99% of the Adobe RGB color gamut, while the U2412 and PA249Q will be more like 70-80%. If you're editing for the web and therefore working in sRGB, then I don't think you're getting much for the extra $$ in moving up to the PA249Q.

11. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Doing a bit of research, it looks as though wide Gamut Displays have issues with sRGB applications. I only have a few things a year printed, with the rest going on the web, so I don't think the difference in price would be worth it to me. Thanks for helping out with that Amin Sabet. Now I just need to wait a few months till I move so I don't have to worry about it getting damaged in the shipment.

12. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    There are a couple of other options looking for high quality monitors. One is off lease, used, Dell U2410 monitors. The U2410 is geared towards "professionals" and the U2412 is for "consumers". Big differences are the U2410 is a 8 bit panel with 12 bit processing, the U2412 is a 6 bit panel with 8 bit processing. In short, the U2410 handles a wider gamut than the U2412. The U2410 also has more connection options than the U2412. DFS sells used U2410's for $168. The are in good shape and they come in and out of stock. 90 day warranty or 180 day warranty with Amex.

Another option is a Catleap monitor. What are Catleap monitors? You know those 27" Apple Thunderbolt displays that show 2560 x 1440. They use Grade "A" LG panels. Catleap monitors are monitors sold in Korea using "rejected" LG panels. Which grade depends on how much you pay. In Korea, these monitors sell for as little as $150. You can buy these through some retailers, Monoprice/Microcenter, in the US for $400. Or you can buy them from Korean sellers on ebay. Recently, one of these Korean sellers sold a Grade "A-" monitor for $300 delivered. What makes it "A-", it has 1-5 dead pixels which is well under the dead pixel policy for almost all computer manufacturers. There are also some Korean sellers that will guarantee it to be "pixel perfect", no dead pixels. There are entire forums devoted to these Catleap monitors. You can check them out for recommended sellers.

13. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Wide gamut is not a "more is better" situation. It's a real pain in the neck and has more drawbacks than advantages for most people. I don't recommend picking a monitor because it has wide gamut; I might recommend avoiding it because of wide gamut.

14. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I fully agree with Promit on this. Choosing a high quality IPS display is a really smart way to go... however, wide gamut... certainly not a good choice for most people.