20MP sensor in GX9 vs 16MP sensor in E-M10 Mark II

Tua52

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Adam Varga
Hello,

Soon I'd like to upgrade my E-M10 M2, becouse I want the extra resolution the 20MP sensor provides. Anybody can tell me, how much better is the sensor in GX9? Main use would be landscapes, street and some portraits.

If somebody could provide me some RAW files with GX9 that would be the best :)

Thanks, Adam

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
TBH, Adam, you will not notice any particular difference between the 16 MPx and 20 MPx sensors.

I have the 16 MPx Panasonic sensor in my E-M1 MkI and the Sony 20 MPx in my E-M1 MkII.

There are slight, but just noticeable, differences in DR and noise, but not particularly in resolution.

Same goes for the Sony 16 MPx sensor in my E-PM2.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I can definitely notice the difference between the 16MP GX80 and the 20MP GX8 or G90.
Oh, there is a difference. Just not enough to get in a lather about.

I can tell the difference between the Panny and Sony 16 MPx and the Sony 20 MPx. It just isn't as significant as some appear to believe.

A couple of my best images have been taken with my 5 MPx E-1 ...

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
When I upgraded from C-7070WZ to E-M1 II, of course the 13 extra megapixels was one of the reasons, but it wasn't the only reason. So certainly I wouldn't have bought a new camera just for 4 more megapixels. Even if resolution is so important, there are other factors affecting resolution, such as lens sharpness.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Did the EM10 ii get rid of the AA filter? If not, that'll be another factor in making the GX9 sharper. Yet another is that the shutter in the GX9 really doesn't have any shutter shock issues at all (not sure whether the EM10ii does). I think you'd find it noticeable. I do think the sharpest Panasonic is the G9 for whatever reason, its processing seems to have just a slight edge over the GX9 in what I've seen (I haven't used a G9), but probably not enough to warrant the price difference on its own. Keep in mind the GX9 handling is a lot different than an EM10.

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
Can’t speak to the Panasonic implementation, but I have the E-M10 II and Pen-F with 20mp sensor. For my use there is no practical difference in the image output using the same lens. I’m happy to crop each file if I can’t nail framing though I’m not a pixel peeper at all.

To me, the differences are in handling and features but not outright image quality.

Real Name
Rob
Did the EM10 ii get rid of the AA filter? If not, that'll be another factor in making the GX9 sharper. Yet another is that the shutter in the GX9 really doesn't have any shutter shock issues at all (not sure whether the EM10ii does). I think you'd find it noticeable. I do think the sharpest Panasonic is the G9 for whatever reason, its processing seems to have just a slight edge over the GX9 in what I've seen (I haven't used a G9), but probably not enough to warrant the price difference on its own. Keep in mind the GX9 handling is a lot different than an EM10.
I don't believe it was ever 100% certain, but it seems very likely the EM10ii has no AA filter. Also it has electronic silent shutter, which (to my eyes) removes any practical shutter shock issues. With certain lenses my E-PM2 clearly had it, whereas my EM10ii did not (I did a few obsessive back-to-back tests...)

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
Camera body size can help too. The Gx are compact and don’t dissipate heat as well

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
Hello,

Soon I'd like to upgrade my E-M10 M2, becouse I want the extra resolution the 20MP sensor provides. Anybody can tell me, how much better is the sensor in GX9? Main use would be landscapes, street and some portraits.

Thanks, Adam
You can go to the gallery for each camera on dpreview and download the raw files from any of the cameras

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hello,

Thanks, Adam

MP resolution is area, not linear.
16MP = 4608 x 3456 (EM10-mk2)​
20MP = 5208 x 3916 (EM1-mk2)​
A 25% increase in area resolution = 13% increase in linear resolution (on the H and V axis)
13% is not enough to get me to upgrade, simply on resolution.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
MP resolution is area, not linear.
16MP = 4608 x 3456 (EM10-mk2)​
20MP = 5208 x 3916 (EM1-mk2)​
A 25% increase in area resolution = 13% increase in linear resolution (on the H and V axis)
13% is not enough to get me to upgrade, simply on resolution.
As I said before, it's there, but not hugely so.

There is more difference between my (16 MPx Sony) E-PM2 and (16 MPx Panasonic) E-M1 MkI than there is between it and my 20 MPx E-M1 MkII.

Improvements? Sure.
Worth getting in a lather about? No.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
As I said before, it's there, but not hugely so.

There is more difference between my (16 MPx Sony) E-PM2 and (16 MPx Panasonic) E-M1 MkI than there is between it and my 20 MPx E-M1 MkII.

Improvements? Sure.
Worth getting in a lather about? No.
What are the differences between those 16MP sensors that you see?

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
Hello,

Thanks, Adam

I don't know GX9 but compare to Pen F, it's only slightly improvement on DR.

By the way, Panasonic's JPG colour is different. I used GM1, GM5 then GX7 in the past. Still i prefer Olympus's JPG colour.

Tua52

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Adam Varga
So many answers, thank you guys!

TBH, Adam, you will not notice any particular difference between the 16 MPx and 20 MPx sensors.

I have the 16 MPx Panasonic sensor in my E-M1 MkI and the Sony 20 MPx in my E-M1 MkII.

There are slight, but just noticeable, differences in DR and noise, but not particularly in resolution.

Same goes for the Sony 16 MPx sensor in my E-PM2.
Thank you.

I'm familiar with the GX's line handling. I had the GX85 in the past, but I sold it becouse I didnt like the sensor/color science. But sharpness was fantastic.

Can’t speak to the Panasonic implementation, but I have the E-M10 II and Pen-F with 20mp sensor. For my use there is no practical difference in the image output using the same lens. I’m happy to crop each file if I can’t nail framing though I’m not a pixel peeper at all.

To me, the differences are in handling and features but not outright image quality.
Hmm, thanks.

20MP is nicer for cropping, for sure. That was the biggest tangible gain I had noticed when I went from 16MP to 20MP. I just went from one Panasonic to another though.
Yes, for cropping, the more the better.

You can go to the gallery for each camera on dpreview and download the raw files from any of the cameras
Thanks!

I don't know GX9 but compare to Pen F, it's only slightly improvement on DR.

By the way, Panasonic's JPG colour is different. I used GM1, GM5 then GX7 in the past. Still i prefer Olympus's JPG colour.
Slight improvement is improvement still :) I heard 20MP Panasonic cameras tend to have more pleasing colors than the older ones (for example in GX7).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom