1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

20mm Pancake Lens Price

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DarrenG, Jan 3, 2011.

1. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    I made the mistake of buying my GF1 with the kit 14-45mm lens. The kit with 20mm was £80 more expensive.

But looking at the price of the 20mm lens on its own it's about £280 here in the UK. That puts the GF1 body at about £200 which seems crazy?

Thankfully I have managed to get one from B&H in the US for £210 and a colleague is bringing it back to the Uk for me but why is it so expensive when compared with the kit price or the 14-45?

And one last question, what is the difference between the 14-45 and 14-42mm zooms? Why have two that share such similar ranges?

2. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    £200 (roughly $310) is actually about the price that we are seeing here in the best deal available (from Samy's, if they can be trusted) for the GF1 body.

What you are seeing is a form of price discrimination (targeting prices to individual groups or types of buyers.) In general, you will see bundle discounts, because the buyers looking for the bundles are different than those looking to buy the individual pieces. If you consider someone looking for a second body to go with, say, a G2 or E-5, as well as someone else looking for just a lens to add to a system, the two combined would actually have a higher total willingness to pay for that components than customers looking to buy a complete camera kit. However, if one kit is more popular than another and inventory is depleted (temporarily), the discount for the more popular one would be less. In this case, the 20mm kit would be closer in price to the combined prices of the body and lens purchased individually than the 14-45mm kit. This is exactly the type of thing that airlines do when pricing multi-leg itineraries.

As for the 14-45mm vs. 14-42mm, the 14-45mm is generally a better lens with higher build quality (metal vs. plastic mount, if I remember correctly), though heavier. I suspect that they switched because many customers wouldn't value to the kits all that differently, but their manufacturing costs would lower.

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I just purchased the GF1 from Samy's (aka Scamy's) last week for $299 and the Panny 20 f/1.7 for $350. Being in SoCal I walked in and paid the tax. No problems whatsoever. Most/many of their salespeople are suspect ... but buying on-line should be okay. They have several locations and their stores are quite large ... so they have a lot to lose if they are less than honorable.

Gary

4. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Thanks for the reply. Interesting to hear that the 14-42mm is inferior. Is that being bundled with GF1 or GF2 kits?

As an aside, I had been waiting for the GF2 but as soon as the first units were reviewed I realised it was not for me. I didn't want a dumbed down camera with touch screen, the GF1 is perfect control wise for my needs and the extra HD Video resolution matters not to me.

As an aside I'm using an 8Gb Eye-Fi Pro X2 and despite some posts suggesting it is a battery hog, I've had no such issues in my usage so far.

The only thing I'm missing now are some photography skills!

5. carpandean

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I believe that all of the 1's (G1, GF1, GH1) were available with the 14-45mm (obviously, the GH1 was mostly sold with the 14-140mm), while the 2's (G2, GF2, GH2) are available with the 14-42mm. The G10, being a dumbed-down G2, also comes with the 14-42mm. That was one reason that the G1 with 14-45mm for $299 was such a good deal; the lens alone was worth $200. Deals on G2's with 14-42mm start almost $100 behind just due to the lens.

6. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    I think the GF2 is going to be primarily bundled with the 14mm, I expect there will be different options though.

7. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I did a bit of research and working out before i bought my GF-1 and worked out that it was cheaper for me to buy it as a kit with the 14-45mm from Curry's (in store) for £430 and then buy the 20mm online (around £280) than to do it the other way round or even buy it as the twin lens kit.

Even buying it body only, which I think was £250 at cheapest, and getting the 20mm separate would've cost me around £530, plus potentially 2 lots of postage.

I've only had the camera since about the 18th December and in hindsight for that short period, I would've probably been happy without the 14-45mm really. I got the 20mm 2 days after I bought the camera and the zoom has never been back out of the bag since then. Though long term, I'll probably not regret owning both lenses.

8. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    I paid £430 for mine from PCWorld. I'd never normally venture near the place but they were way cheaper than anyone else. I'd wanted the kit with 20mm for £500 but they had no stock and I was impatient so grabbed the 14-45 kit.

But, you're right, even if I'd paid UK price for the 20mm it would still be cheaper to get the 14-45 kit and add the 20mm than do it the other way around.

I suspect, like you, that the 20mm will get the most use by a long way but it's nice to have the zoom just in case.

9. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I was in a similar impatient position, I wanted a red body but would've had to pay considerably more and would've had to order it online regardless as no where seems to keep them in stock.

I'd sold my Canon G10 and 350D (kept hold of my 500D though) a couple of days prior and I wanted to treat myself to the GF-1 before Christmas. What worked out even better for me was that the only store which had stock (that wasn't ex-display) was the one closest to me so I did a reserve/collect and went down the same day and got it and it turned out to be the last un-opened one they had.

I've read on a few sites, can't remember which, that the GF-1 is being shipped with the 14-42mm lens now and also a few have said that the 14-45 is the better lens so it could even be another bonus to getting it! Lol

10. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Indeed, as discussed earlier in this very thread, the 14-42mm is inferior but I've not seen it advertised in a GF1 kit .... yet.

Just bought the SGP leather skin guard.

11. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I've been looking for a case I like but haven't stumbled across the right one yet. Is this what you've bought? eBay link Did you get it from a uk seller too? Looks very cool and I could be tempted into that over a proper case. I use Gelaskins on my iPhone/iPad/laptops and love the look and little bit of protection to casings they offer.

I did order a Nissin Di466 earlier tonight so hopefully that will be with me by wednesday :) I've got a Sigma EF-530 from my Canons which does work with the GF, but only in manual mode and it's really too big for a the GF body.

12. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    That's the skin I bought. Not available from UK sellers but the skins have received great reviews and anecdotal reports suggest 10-12 days to arrive from Korea.

13. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I found another auction/listing from the US seller (SGPStore1) and bought it through them, already received an email from USPS (which I think means its marked for collection) and apparently will be here in 5-7 working days. So the race is on! :biggrin: I was a bit tempted by the carbon one but it looks a bit ott for what is an understated camera and all the better for it.

14. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah I thought the carbon fibre skin was a little OTT. Dang though, I never saw there was a US seller! Betcha get yours first!

15. carpandean

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    The SGP Deep Black skin really is a great addition to the GF1. It looks good and adds to the grip nicely.

16. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Drifting OT here I know but I see the EVF price has dropped dramatically in the US but here in good 'ol blighty it's still at the ridiculous higher price.

I wonder if there is any likelyhood of a higher quality EVF appearing at some point?

17. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Has your skin arrived yet?

18. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    US prices always seem to be about the same as the cheapest here before you add VAT and shipping cost (I think some UK retailers look at the US price and make their price that plus the cost of ordering it from the US). And that is the case for the prices I see the 20mm at (or have you found it much cheaper that $315?).
    So not very ridiculously higher price I would say.

19. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    The EVF can be had in the US for $150. Even allowing for tax and shipping that is considerably cheaper than the UK. We haven't see the price drop here that has occurred in the US.

And whilst we do of course have to take tax, duties and shipping into account, that doesn't excuse the price disparity when these items aren't made in the US?

I've enlisted a colleague to buy my 20mm in the US and bring back for me but I've bitten the bullet and ordered an EVF in the UK, although RoyalMail appear to have lost it.

20. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    The GF1 has never been available with the 14-42. Some versions of the GF1 were only available with one lens or the other; the pink was only available with the 20mm.