1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

20mm panasonic on E-PL1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by finja, Dec 17, 2010.

1. finja

finja Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 29, 2010
    Posted on another forum but I guess not many users there of this combo...

I recently purchased a Panasonic 20mm for my E-PL1 since I didn't like my results with the kit lens indoors and the focal length on a couple of adapted lenses I bought was too long.

In general I'm happy with the lens and image quality.

A couple of points that I was surprised about:

Fit - The panny fits the E-PL1 mount very tightly. None of my other lenses or adapters have this problem. I may be getting paranoid but I'm almost afraid to twist it on and off because I'm afraid of breaking the camera mount! Is this a common problem?

Noise - I was surprised by the amount of noise from the lens. The aperature blades click loudly and autofocus is noisy too. I have read that this may be common so I won't stress over this one. I'm not planning on doing any video shooting anyway.

Aperature blades - Maybe I never noticed this on my kit lens since its not visible (or audible) but in Aperature priority mode when I set the aperature to F1.7 the blades are still clicking into different positions as I focus the lens on different objects. I would have expected them to stay wide open... why is this happening?

Thanks...

2. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    My 20mm is a noticeably tighter fit on my G1 as well.

Yes, its a noisy lens, it does whirr in and out a bit.

3. Blu-by-u

Blu-by-u Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Tight it may be but I think it's the metal mount the 20mm have as compared to the plastic mounts on those kit lenses.

4. A similar thing happens on my E-P1 in aperture priority mode with my 4/3 lenses. When you point the camera at a bright scene in stops down the aperture presumably to keep the live view display at the correct exposure. The aperture resets to your chosen value when you take a picture.

5. scantron

scantron Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2010
    It's a fine lens, but you have to live with the aperture noise and tight mount. Oh, and weird manual focus throw on the ring. You have to turn it quite a bit to get it to react, and the ring keeps turn even if it's reached it's max.

Other than that, it's great! ;-)
    Very sharp, little CA- your only choice for a M4/3 fast prime really.

It's pretty much the only lens I use on my E-PL1 other than some legacy Minolta lenses.

6. finja

finja Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 29, 2010
    Thank you

Thank you for sharing your experiences with this lens. I am quite happy with its performance, just wasn't sure about its little quirks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.