20mm panasonic on E-PL1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by finja, Dec 17, 2010.

1. finja

finja Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 29, 2010
    Posted on another forum but I guess not many users there of this combo...

I recently purchased a Panasonic 20mm for my E-PL1 since I didn't like my results with the kit lens indoors and the focal length on a couple of adapted lenses I bought was too long.

In general I'm happy with the lens and image quality.

A couple of points that I was surprised about:

Fit - The panny fits the E-PL1 mount very tightly. None of my other lenses or adapters have this problem. I may be getting paranoid but I'm almost afraid to twist it on and off because I'm afraid of breaking the camera mount! Is this a common problem?

Noise - I was surprised by the amount of noise from the lens. The aperature blades click loudly and autofocus is noisy too. I have read that this may be common so I won't stress over this one. I'm not planning on doing any video shooting anyway.

Aperature blades - Maybe I never noticed this on my kit lens since its not visible (or audible) but in Aperature priority mode when I set the aperature to F1.7 the blades are still clicking into different positions as I focus the lens on different objects. I would have expected them to stay wide open... why is this happening?

2. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    My 20mm is a noticeably tighter fit on my G1 as well.

Yes, its a noisy lens, it does whirr in and out a bit.
  3. Blu-by-u

Blu-by-u Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Tight it may be but I think it's the metal mount the 20mm have as compared to the plastic mounts on those kit lenses.
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    A similar thing happens on my E-P1 in aperture priority mode with my 4/3 lenses. When you point the camera at a bright scene in stops down the aperture presumably to keep the live view display at the correct exposure. The aperture resets to your chosen value when you take a picture.
  5. scantron

scantron Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2010
    It's a fine lens, but you have to live with the aperture noise and tight mount. Oh, and weird manual focus throw on the ring. You have to turn it quite a bit to get it to react, and the ring keeps turn even if it's reached it's max.

Other than that, it's great! ;-)
    Very sharp, little CA- your only choice for a M4/3 fast prime really.

It's pretty much the only lens I use on my E-PL1 other than some legacy Minolta lenses.
  6. finja

finja Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 29, 2010
    Thank you

Thank you for sharing your experiences with this lens. I am quite happy with its performance, just wasn't sure about its little quirks.