20mm or...?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Chrisnmn, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Hey guys,

Ive been happily shooting with my EPL2 for a couple of months now, and i totally love it. cant complain...i mainly use it as my "pocket camera" for street shooting and stuff like that, so i always wanted "pancake" lenses such as the P14 or P20 since the 28mm - 40mm FOV is what i like (size matters also).

So i got rid of the kit lens some time ago and found a pretty good deal on the P14 before this little guy started turning heads again (here) and slightly japanese sellers on ebay raised the price on it. And though i was never quite happy with the IQ of the 14 (too soft for me on the edges, and horrifying CA) ive learnt to love it, and thats the one and only lens i carry on my EPL2 today.

But i want to get the P20 since one of my favorite compact camera of all times has been the Contax T2 (which is a 38mm) and i just love that FOV, so the P20 its been ringing me for quite some time now....and though every single person in the mu43 praises love to that guy, i think nowadays (2012) its a little bit overrated in terms of technology? (im not sure, just asking), im pretty sure its a couple years old lens, and ive read everywhere that is a little bit slow, and that Panasonic should do a P20 MK2 right?

At the same time the shortage everywhere on this lens, makes it sell for 300-340 USED up to 500 or 700 on ebay!! are they nuts?!?!?! or its better than a Canon 17-40 f4L lens?. I also do have a 5dMKII and i have a 50mm f1.4 and ive read that the P20 is no better than that (not that, that means is a bad lens, but for me that 50mm or at least my copy is just OK). and that 50 goes for less than 400 NEW!. so it doesnt make any sense for me to pay more for a lens that is not as good in terms of IQ/Speed as the Oly45 and suchs. am i wrong?

So my question is...should i just keep waiting to some stock comes to amazon or BH, or try to get a good deal here in this lovely forum?...or maybe just stick to september at this point, after Photokina takes place, where it seems theres a lot new stuff coming, specially for the m43 market?!?!?!, maybe Pana announces a new version of the lens?, maybe Olympus improves there 17mm?. i dont know?

suggestions?!?!

2. j.SoundLabs

j.SoundLabs Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Jason
    Not outdated in my opinion. Maybe if a Panasonic 20mm mkII comes out, but for now it is unique and current. Yes, it is slow to focus on my GF1 in very low light and it doesn't have a good manual focus feel in my opinion, but it is a fantastic little lens. I believe that the prices on new and used lenses are a direct reflection of the quality of this nearly 3 year old lens.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Thanks man!, so you think that the 500 tag new, is worth this 3 year old lens?...is really that good? hmm interesting... that means i gotta save some cash then...

4. j.SoundLabs

j.SoundLabs Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Jason
    I do think it is worth it, you can not find a lens like it right now. The Sigma 19mm is not of the same optical quality, the Leica 25 is more expensive & larger, the Noktons (both 17.5 and 25mm) are a lot more expensive & larger, so that leaves the Olympus 17mm as the only other contender. Between the two, the Olympus is significantly slower and doesn't match the Panasonic 20 in optical quality in my opinion.

Though, with all of that said, the Olympus 17mm can be found for significantly less than the 20mm, which caused me to take a bit longer before I decided to buy a new (not used) Panasonic 20mm just this past december. I did this knowing that if I didn't like the lens, I could sell it for at least 90% of what I paid for it within a week - if not a day.

Just my very long 2 cents.

• Like Like x 1
  5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    The 20mm is certainly worth paying regular new prices (~$350), but I'd think twice about paying through-the-roof eBay prices from people trying to cash in on temporary short supply.

• Like Like x 3
  6. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    The 20 is THE lens of this format. Ok fine it has slower AF than the 14, but it's FoV is more normal, as you mentioned.

You can see in my sig the lenses I carry, and that I've also purchased the 20 again after I thought a 14 and 25 combo would help me get over it.

Just wait around for a minty fresh one used if you don't mind used lenses. I picked up one cheaper than I sold it the last time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

I couldn't understand the price levels on used lens at auction, so I registered my email with B&H to notify me when it was in stock. I doubt that I had to wait more than 2 weeks before I got the notice. I acted on it right away, and got a NEW lens. B&H plus some patience should net you what I consider a very nice lens.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    thank you guys...i dont mind buying used gear, though i preffer it new, i dont know...but it looks like it is a really must and should just wait for BH or amazon...and thanks for confirming that ebay is just ripping people off with this (and many other) lenses...

9. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Check b&h. Every. Single. Day! Multiple times a day even. You'll get one eventually. I know because that is what I did. Got it for $339 new!

Be patient, it's worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Second the advice to wait for a new in stock lens. I didn't realize it was so difficult to find when I bought mine in January for $339.95 new (plus shipping to Nicaragua). It's a very nice lens, but I wouldn't pay gouger's prices for it (simply encourages people to snipe B&H, order a couple or three, and resell them).

11. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Yeah guys i think ill wait on that lens...i really like the 40mm fov. I liqke it way more than a nifty fifty or a 35 it just fits for me...at the same im quite curios on the sigma dp2 merrill co,ing out in the next few weeks

12. jonh918

jonh918 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    San francisco,ca
    i've been waiting for 20mm since i got my e-pm1 in feb.2012, i broke down and got a 14mm...and i love it

13. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    Here in germany, a 20/1.7 sells second hand only 25% below a new one.
    These you get without a problem online for/upward of € 330,-.

Its fast, lightweight and compact, good IQ and a PITA for AF-speed, compared with a 14/2.5.
    That said, I like it very much, its the one lens which never left one body.
    But then my first mFT-lens was the 17/2.8 and AF-wise everything is better than this.

Go get it, you wont regret it.