1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

20mm or 25mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by timothysoong, Sep 25, 2011.

1. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Well, Ive just been into photography for a few months and id only have a little
    knowledge about photography.. I have the 14mm lens which comes as a kit lens when I bought the camera and later I got the 14-45 just for practising..

Now id realized, the 14-45 is not that much of a good or pwerful lens.. and doesnt perform well in low light..

Which is why Im considering to get either the 20 or 25mm.. Which means I might get a 45 or a telephoto lens later on.. Or if anyone have better opinions of lenses to get then do
    let me know, cause after reading lotsa threads in this forum id realized my next lens should be a prime 20 or 25..

And size doesnt matter to me, so i wouldnt mind if the 25mm aint a pancake.. but im just not too sure of which to get!! help??

And also can you give me suggestions of the combination of prime lens + a telephoto lens I should be getting.. Im not gettin them now, i just wanna know..

For now id think - 14 / 25 / 45 / 45-200

any other suggestions?

thanks

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Does price matter? For the price of the 25 you can get the 20 AND the 45-200...

3. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Not a bad set at all. To be fair to kit zooms they perform incredibly well given that they so cheap as part of a kit. They're just slow and best suited to daylight shooting.

The only suggestion I'd offer is to have a look through your pictures and work out which focal lengths best suit your style before splashing out.

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    As I always tell beginners: If you don't know which you want, then you want the lesser option.

Save yourself $300 and the frustration of trying to find the 25mm in stock. The 20mm is all you'll need. Take the saved $300, and you're now $100 away from adding a 45mm f/1.8 to your package as well, or an FL-50 flash, or a solid tripod, etc.

Don't discount the 14-45 lens. It makes great images, as long as you have enough light. It's a zoom lens, but optically it performs as well as your 14mm. Having the convenience of a midrange zoom is invaluable in some situations, for certain types of shooting. I'd say keep that, and get rid of your 14mm.

I think the perfect kit for you would be: 14-45, 20mm, 45mm, 45-175X or 40-150 Olympus (because the 45-200 Panasonic isn't all that impressive image quality). Maybe add a real high quality lens for your personal preferences, like the 12mm.

5. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Yes price does matter.. I just realized the 25 as much as the 20 and the 45-200.. I'll wait for more replies and then decide of which lens to get first..

Okay, I will post up some of my pictures here, does the edited/photoshopped version of the picture helps? Or do I need to upload the original version of the picture..?

6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    If it is any help at all, I gather the 25 and 20 are quite close in performance and quality...the 25 being superior but not in a MASSIVE way. I seems popular opinion is that unless you really really NEED the 25....the 20 will do more than fine.

The upside of course is that not only will you have saved $300 and will be well on your way to picking up the 45/1.8.....you will be in possession of an incredible pancake carry anywhere lens that has an almost cult following and is beautifully suited to available light photography.

Don't rush into anything though, take the time to figure out what you need....have a good look around at sample images. Both are great so either way you can't go wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  7. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I vote the 20 for the versatility, it's my favorite lens so I'm bias. If low light is a BIG factor the 25 will perform better. I would test both an see what perspective you prefer as I did notice a big difference. On another note the 25 is way better for manual focusing if that matters to you at all. Either way I think you'll be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

8. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    If 2/3 of a stop is keeping you from getting the shot, and you're already at the ISO limit of the camera, then my thinking is that maybe m4/3 wasn't the right choice for you. While some may prefer the f/1.4 for depth of field control, I'd hope that they have enough light that f/1.7 isn't considered too slow of an aperture.

9. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Or buy a flash ;)

10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I consider using a flash as "having enough light."

11. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    There are a few long time "guidelines" for putting together a lens system. The simplest is to double or halve the lenses you have. So a 12, 25, 50 (45 in the case on m4/3) would be a sought after kit. If you were to stand in one spot and just change lenses, doubling the focal length will double the size of the subject and halve the angle of view.

Or you can select by general application. For general day to day shooting a range of 14-50 will see you through. For sports and wildlife, favour lenses longer than 100mm. For portraits the 45-70mm range is a good start and 17-25mm for environmental portraits. Generally with this approach you stock on lenses in the areas you shoot a lot and have only a thin selection in the areas you don't shoot often (or primes in your preferred lengths and zooms elsewhere).

I have the 20 and it's a great lens, but it's not a focal length I shoot often. If I were to but one or the other today it would be the 25mm because that's where I shoot most of the time.

But for you I'd be more inclined to recommend a 45mm as you already have the zoom and the 12.

Gordon

12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I'm with KVG in that the 20 is a more versatile. But that 25 sure looks pretty sweet though!

13. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    got a question.. does the Olympus m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 works on the GF2? Im not sure if the olympus lenses are compatible with the lumix..

14. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    I was tossing up between the 20 and 25 recently too. Price was a factor but I could have afforded either. I went with the 20 and am extremely happy with the decision. I kind of figured that something with so much positive feedback is worth a crack. It was physical size that sealed the deal for me at the end of the day. Being able to pocket (albeit a big pocket) the camera with a very versatile lens means that I'll have the camera with me more often and hence take more photos.

15. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    after looking at all these replies, I realized it shouldn't be a 20 or 25 thread, instead a 20 or 45 thread.. And I never realized that the 25 is so expensive that it almost cost me both the 20 and 45..

And can anyone answer me if the 45mm Olympus f/1.8 is compatible with the GF2? Or do I need to get an adapter for it to work? And is it a only MF lens or it can also AFS?

16. dayou14

dayou14 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    Sell your 14, buy the 20. The 25 you can add later. You may discover you never think you need it. Or you may want it because it gives different results. Either way, you need the 20mm, first.

17. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The Oly and Pany m43 lenses are both totally compatible with the other company's bodies. No adapters needed.

I wouldn't say it should be a 20 vs 45 thread - the 20 is a more general purpose focal length, the 45 is a bit more special purpose lens. You should eventually probably have both, but I'd get the 20 first unless you REALLY favor a portrait length lens. You're not limited to portraits with it, of course, but its a pretty specific focal length that's not good for everything. Whereas lots of people get something in the 14-25 range and never take it off of their camera.

Then again, if you're comfortable at the slightly wider end and you already have the 14, and if low light isn't a super high priority for most normal shooting, maybe you should get the 45 first. I personally spend WAAAAAY more time with the 14 on my camera than I ever would with the 20 or 25, so if that's you too, it might be worth just going with the 14 and the 45 for a while and see if you really feel the need for something in the middle. I don't usually, but that's TOTALLY down to personal preference and shooting style, so it really comes down to how YOU shoot.

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  18. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Great point Ray. I currently don't have anything wider than the 20mm and miss it and that will be fixed soon.

19. It's hard to explain exactly why, but the 25/1.4 appeals to me whereas the 20/1.7 never really did. Shame the 25mm costs so much more.

20. Khiunngiap

Khiunngiap Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2011
    I second to this ! if you are more into portrait , i strongly suggest you buy an external flash , then you will find another new land like you found the power of prime lens . After that , depends on personal preferences , choose your comfortable focal length.

I am a beginner too , so i know how your doubt come from :)