20mm f1.7 with filter ?

Peezie

Mu-43 Regular
How many of you guys use filter for front protection on the lens. I have them on all my canon ef lenses but was also wondering if they affect the picture while having one on the 20mm, ghosting or spots?

Im looking for some protection thats all. I usually use the hoya super hmc uv filters.

Any enlightenment or experiences on this subject matter would be great?

kytra

Mu-43 Regular
I usually do not use filters for lenses wit a less exposed (because of size, position) front element, such as the 20mm. However, I use it if there is a need, because of the quantity of dust or the risk of mistreatment of the lens (for example when one handles over the camera to friends or kids to shoot around)

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
I use filters for protection. The Hoya is an excellent choice.

flash

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Gordon
I find lens hoods offer equal, if not better protection than a filter, most of the time with the advantage of an improvement in image quality. However I will, very occasionally, use a filter as protection in environments where I get excessive salt spray or dust. I'd rather wipe a 50 dollar filter with a tissue than a lens element.

A long time ago I damaged a front element because a filter was broken and pushed into it. I have never damaged a front element with a hood in place, even when dropping lenses, which I do occasionally.

Gordon

Pan Korop

Mu-43 Veteran
I use my Pana 20 mm with a filter step-up ring from Hoya : 46 > 52 mm. This way I need only a 52 mm polariser for all my lenses (except the 7-14).
On top of the step-up ring sits the cool lenshood from my 2.8/45 Nikkor. That is a perfect protection, compact and permanent since the Nikon lens cap snaps directly over the hood.

45_hood.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I wish only that someone would copy and market that 45 Nikkor hood (whether GN or AI-P version) since Nikon does not make it available as a spare part.

greyelm

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Malcolm
I have blown hot and cold over a uv filter on my 20mm until I gave up using it the other day. I noticed that without the filter but with a hood I got a huge flare when the sun was at about 45 deg to my left, the uv filter stopped this. On the other hand I have noticed flare with the filter indoors under artificial light. There are times when chimping helps!

tomas

Mu-43 Regular
Spot Remover

Have not used my 20mm 1.7 lens that much yet--probably about 50 shots so far. A B+H MC UV filter is attached. I'm a believer in using that brand and style filter on all of my lenses. Good protection from dust, drizzle, and kids. B+H MC UV filters do not seem to degrade sharpness on any of my lenses.

On a trip last February, my first since getting into the MFT system, I noticed a round white spot on several of my outdoors shots. Since then I've been using an eBay purchased light metal lens hood threaded into the filter. I use the same setup with both my 20mm and the 14mm Panasonics. No white spots, vignetting etc since then.

With a step down ring the same hood works with the kit 14-42 II over another B+H MC UV filter.

yoshi

Mu-43 Rookie
I have UV filter on all my lenses - using mostly Hoya MC. Some filters are cheap but without MC. Since I have many lenses, I use step up adapter to share. That way I can also share CP filter. These filters can add up a lot in your lens collection.

Peezie

Mu-43 Regular
Hey guys thanks for all the replies. I will be buying a filter today since there arent major problems with having one on this lens.

@greyelm & tomas i already have the metal hood from ebay as well. im pretty sure we all have the same one :) i usually have a filter since i never use a lens cap unless im storing my lenses.

Latest threads

Top Bottom