1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

20mm, 45mm, then... ?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jcm5, May 29, 2014.

1. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    I currently have the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 and the Olympus 45mm f1.8 and I'm wondering what would be the logical next step for a good lens with an OMD body? I see used copies of 12-50mm floating around for a decent price, though I'm not quite sure how useful that would be and I'm also interested in that PL 25mm though again, I wonder how it would fit in my bag with the Pan 20mm. Any of you have suggestions on what would be an affordable next purchase?? Thanks.

2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Depends on what you shoot, what you want to shoot and what you consider to be "affordable."

Wanna go cheap and tiny? Grab a 14 2.5. The 12-50 is a great lens too, I love using mine more than I ever thought I'd like using a kit lens...here's my thread on it:

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=59722

3. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    If you are on a budget, the Sigma 30 and 60 are good choices as well as the Panasonic 14. I think you'd be disappointed in the 12-50 unless you really love zooms.

4. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    +1 for the Panasonic 14mm f2.5.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No, don't get the 12-50mm. If you have the 20mm/1.7 and the 45mm/1.8, you will only be taking a huge step down with that zoom! You'll be covering a similar range but with a much slower, softer lens. There are fast zooms which get "close enough" to the quality of primes, but this is not one of them.

The most obvious next step would be to expand your focal range with either the m.Zuiko 75mm/1.8 or m.Zuiko 12mm/2, depending on how you like to frame. You could add the m.Zuiko 60mm/2.8 macro instead if you feel that lifesize reproduction is important to you. If you want to go ultrawide you might consider the Lumix 7-14mm/4 or on a budget scale the m.Zuiko 9-18mm/4-5.6.

The Leica 25mm/1.4 Summilux is a beautiful lens and would make a worthy replacement for your Lumix 20mm/1.7 except where minimal space is concerned (I would keep both lenses and delegate the pancake to a small go-anywhere kit), but why would you be looking at a redundant lens format yet when you have such a tiny lens collection of only 2 lenses? Before you start making what you have better, you should first start expanding your capabilities through what you don't have. Once you have a decent scope of capabilities to your system, then you can consider improving on it with some faster glass in the same range.

• Like Like x 3
  6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If you want wider, Olympus 12/2. For something longer maybe the Olympus 40-150 or Panasonic 45-150 depending on if you need stabilization or not.

Fred

7. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    Thank you all for the quick response. the 75 or 12 sounds/looks amazing, though somewhat out of my budget range for now, but I'll keep an out for maybe a good used copy

8. jjviegas

jjviegas Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2013
    Madrid, Spain
    Besides the 20 and the 45 I also bought (again) the Pana 14, and I already had the 40-150. Great general propose combo!

9. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    Well the P14mm would be the next logical step to complete the classic M43 budget trilogy.

But to each his own . . . . I own those 3 lenes, but I find I only take the 14 for specific wide angle reasons. The 20mm is the one always on my camera. It is so small and light with such stunning performance and low light capabilities in a very versatile Focal length.

I am on the cusp of upgrading my old E-p1 and also thinking of selling the 14 and getting the new(isn) 14-42mm II Pana Zoom. My reasons for liking this lens are:

- It is small, light and compact
    - Manual zoom & focus
    - Minimal barrel extension on the zoom, this keeps it compact and means that when you pick up the camera it is still at the last used Focal Length
    - And a 46mm filter thread to match my 20mm
    - Not the worst IQ for a kit lens
    - No power up (EZ lens) or manual start up (Oly "click to unlock" lens) time delay.

For me, I think a zoom would get more use than the P14. Partly because I never found the 14 to be that stellar a lens. Just my thoughts.

Here is the lens @42mm next to all the other standard kits. So much smaller!!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    +1 for the Sigma 60

11. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    you seem to prefer prime lenses and want to keep things somewhat cheap and compact. just like me. the next logical step then is the Panasonic 14/2.5. In fact, that's the exact lineup I have with my GM1; P14, P20, O45

12. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Either one of the 60mm, 75mm, 40-150 (stunning value) or P14

13. Icarus

Icarus Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 5, 2014
    I think adding the 7.5 fisheye or the o12 would really expand your possibilities. To me the 14 and 20 are too similar but I like large gaps between prime focal lengths so I could be the odd ball.

The way I look at is that I'd rarely if ever change my lens from the 20 to a 14 to get a shot, I'd rather zoom with my feet. Now if I had prime focal lengths at the ultra wide, normal, and portrait length covered then id start diving into some lenses that are closer together. My perfect setup for 90% of the shots i take is the 7.5/17/45. I'd love the pl25 and the o12 one day but they don't make sense for me yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    20 and 45 is my only lenses too....
    Ive had the 14 2.5 three times... its kinda hard to put in on when u have the 20 in the same bag. If my em5 had a autostich funktion that could stitch two shoots together it would be great... but for now im waiting until a cheap 12mm pancake comes out... 24mm is more interesting than 28 imo

15. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    if you were to choose between 9-18mm or the 12mm f2, which one would it be? I'm sure there will be varying preferences, but I'm curious to hear your answers.

after the 20 and 45, I'm leaning towards going wide rather than something like 60 or 75, so I thought I'd ask

16. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I've pondered that many times (was thinking of doing a 12/20/45 travel kit)...and I can not bring myself to give up the 9-18. Yes, the 12 is faster, but the 9-18 gives you such an amazingly useful range, especially for travel, landscapes, nature, etc.

17. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Oly 12/2 or 75/1.8 depending whether you want to go wider or longer.

Sent from my SHV-E300S using Tapatalk

18. bhima

bhima Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2014
    Keep shooting and decide then if one of two things happen: 1) You wish you could go just a bit wider in some of your shooting conditions OR 2) You wish you could go just a bit farther. Pick the Panny 14 if you more often respond by needing something wider. Consider either the great and cheap Sigma 60mm or the Oly 75mm. Though, I'm not sure I would put the Sigma on that list, even though its fantastic, since it isn't a huge difference in focal length from the oly 45.

The other option for a longer range is to pick up a zoom. I wouldn't pick up a zoom for the wider focal lengths as you have most of those covered already.