20mm 1.7 question

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by hipertec, Jan 10, 2012.

1. hipertec

hipertec Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 8, 2012
    I just picked up the 20mm 1.7 lens. What a great lens. I can see why everyone loves this lens. It is being paired up with the G2.
    My question is that when I have the G2 on mode P-A-or S (on the rotary top dial) the picture looks very blue-ish tint (like a blue hue). When I turn the dial to portrait mode, scene or any other mode, it shows up as true color and lifelike colors.

Anyone know what am I doing wrong in regards to the setting? I dont think its the lens since the color is beautiful on the preset settings (ie: portrait)

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    White balance. Adjust it correctly.

3. hipertec

hipertec Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 8, 2012
    ahh..thank you. somehow my white balance was set to 2500K. now on AWB...beautiful.
    Thanks!

4. hipertec

hipertec Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 8, 2012
    Thanks for your help. Can anyone recommend a good filter/protective lens for the 20mm that is affordable?
    Was looking to a tiffen uv ($10) or the Hoya uv hmc(o) for $17?
    Looking more to protect the factory lens.

5. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I have learned not to put cheap glass over good glass.
    I took my filter off and now use a hood.
    You can get hoods for around $12 on ebay.
    Same size as the filter.

6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Sure, let me just research which $10 piece of glass is the best one to stick in front of your $350 lens attached to your $300 camera. I wouldn't call it a "protective" filter, a better name for it would be "my pictures look too good, and I'd rather pay $10 to make my pictures look noticeably worse than just hit my camera with a hammer to achieve the same effect" filter. In 20 years of shooting, I've never scratched a front element, and the only scratches I've ever seen was from overzealous owners incorrectly cleaning their lenses.