20mm 1.7 Out of Production

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mcumeda, Jun 24, 2013.

1. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    43rumors.com is reporting that Panasonic has stopped producing the 20mm. I hope the replacement is a just as great but focuses faster.
  2. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Bravin Neff
    Probably about time. They only made 18 bajillion of them!
  3. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    It appears to be true. Strange, IMO, as it is a superlative lens. Only the slow AF is a drawback.
  4. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    I had sold mine- I rather liked it, outside of the CV Nokton it had quite a bit more character to it than most of the other native lenses. Largely the reason why I sold it was because of the slow AF, and wanted something slightly wider (the 17mm 1.8 is what I was looking for). Although I don't do much video, I do occasionally like to play around with it and the focus was pretty audible when focusing manually or with AF (thanks focus by wire).

I waited for panasonic to make a mkii of the lens, hoping for what looks like they are doing now. Ah well, still happy with the wider 17mm.
  5. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I don't know if i got a new model or i'm just deaf/don't know what fast focus is, but mine focuses pretty fast and is quite quiet.

Still, curious that they stopped producing it without announcing a new one
  6. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    The 20mm isn't the slowest focusing lens I've used, but compared to lenses like the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 it's quite slow to AF.
  7. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Bravin Neff
    Odd. I find it to be one of the more boring lenses in the stable.
  8. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA

The newer lens is listed as 13 grams lighter, but the lens diagram looks the same in both spec sheets. They use the same MTF chart too. That could just be sloppy website updating.

new 20mm

old 20mm

However, I didn't read any claims of faster focus speed. Just "high class" design.
  9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    One of the rumors websites said they were optically the same, so if that's true, you're looking at correct information.