20mm 1.7 not available anywhere?

GingerCat

Mu-43 Regular
I want to buy my :43: kit this weekend (I have friends visiting the states so can get it for half the price I'd get it for here!) but the 20mm 1.7 is out of stock everywhere. I was torn between the 20mm for its speed and IQ, and the Oly for its wider FOV, but now that I can't get the Panny I want it more :mad:

does anyone know where it might be in stock, by any chance?

m43dex

Mu-43 Veteran
Since you can only get the 20mm with the GF1 and that has been discontinued, I assume you plan to get the 20mm separately. You are correct that stock seems to be low but there are still a few places. If your crew plans to visit the NYC/LA it appears that you may still be in luck... but not sure for how long....

NYC
J and R

Adorama

LA
Samy's

Tom Swaman

Mu-43 Veteran
Two thoughts:

1) There are dealers who still have some GF1s. You know the rest of this story.

2) B&H is getting 20mm lenses in May. If you place a bona fide order at B&H, they do ship before they announce their inventory either on their website or to their sales people. B& H is also rather good about not taking orders which thet do not think they can fill. As an example, I ordered a Panasonic, out-of-stock flash from B&H about ten days ago. This was shipped to me Thursday and their website still shows the item to be out-of-stoock. I also have the 20 mm lens on order and I am hoping to get this shortly. I know that B&H would not take an order for this early this week, but they did accept my order yesterday.

Good luck,
Tom

GingerCat

Mu-43 Regular
1) There are dealers who still have some GF1s. You know the rest of this story.
For some amazing prices! $889.99 used on amazon.com, or new on amazon.co.uk for - wait for it - GB£703.81 (that's $1,148.62)! No wonder I've spent the day looking on US sites!

Is the lens worth waiting for, or do I just get the Olympus now?

(Things are complicated by the fact that I have friends in the states at the moment who could bring the stuff home for me so waiting till May would end up being considerably more expensive)

Grinch

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm in Calgary Alberta Canada and am picking up a new gf1 with 20mm today they have 1 left in stock, since I put 1 on hold.

Tom Swaman

Mu-43 Veteran
GingerCat,

From what little I know and from the tons of perverbial crap that I have read, my best judgment is to wait for the 20mm f/1.7. In the short run and in the long run, this lens promises to maximize the compatibility with your camera operations and ought to yield the best result and the most photographer happiness. I would pick up one of the GF!s with the lens and sell the body later if I did not want this, but that is just me. These are around as I have seen them.

Best of success,
Tom

EP1-GF1

Mu-43 Veteran
For some amazing prices! $889.99 used on amazon.com, or new on amazon.co.uk for - wait for it - GB£703.81 (that's $1,148.62)! No wonder I've spent the day looking on US sites!

The prices are doing really weird things - last weekend Amazon.co.uk (themselves, not a 3rd party) had the black GF1+20mm lens for £369.00. I know because I bought one and it arrived on Wednesday (I'm a cheapskate and went for free delivery). Then it went out of stock and the price doubled.

I was in a similar position to you in that I wanted the 20mm and so when the price came down for the GF1 kit I thought I'd go for it and then sell the GF1 body - but I quite like it and certainly does better video than my e-p1.

So I now have both the 17mm and the 20mm and while they both have advantages over each other (like the e-p1 and the gf1) I'd probably choose the 20mm if money were no object. But then the 17mm is so much smaller and does produce some very nice shots. Maybe you could get a good price on a "pre-loved" (what an expression) 17mm to tide you over. The price new is too high IMO.

wildcat

Mu-43 Regular
Same here. I called J&R and they said the Japan earthquake has disrupted their normal receipt of Panny lenses, and they couldn't give me any estimate as to when they would start getting them back in.

I've had one on backorder with J&R since mid March.

wintu

New to Mu-43
just got one from adorama last week for 399. since everywhere else is it out of stock there was no other choice.

GingerCat

Mu-43 Regular
It's out of stock in Adorama now too - you must've bought the last one : )

I really don't want to but a camera with it, I've all my old gear waiting to be sold and I don't want to add to the pile.

I'm sure one will turn up eventually. The camera hasn't arrived yet anyway so there's no mad rush!

Danny_Two

Mu-43 Regular

(Things are complicated by the fact that I have friends in the states at the moment who could bring the stuff home for me so waiting till May would end up being considerably more expensive)

What? Park cameras (UK) sell it for £265 new. I think its a bit of myth that electronics are amazingly cheap in the USA.

k4t

Mu-43 Regular
International pricing is always a great mystery. I think you can trust Murphy's law to make sure that whatever product you want to buy today will always be more expensive at whichever marketplace is most convenient for you!

I believe there are several stores with stock in Australia. But with a retail price of $669-$750 AUD that's not surprising.

I'm another beginner who's recently been looking for this lens myself and was lucky to snag one for another helpful mu-43 member in the marketplace.

Good luck. I'm sure one will come up at a reasonable price eventually.

kytra

Mu-43 Regular
I think that Sigma will come up with some prime in this FL and the competition will drive down prices. The big advantage of Panny lenses are that the body knows what algorithms to apply in order to compensate for distortions and CA, probably will not be the same with Sigma if panny will not disclose the full specs, so their lens will need to be a different optical design, and bigger, for sure.

shoturtle

Actually since they joined the consortium corrections data will be on the electronic lenses. As oly correct for distortions with the panasonic data form their lens, oly just do not correct for CA on panny or oly lenses. The sigma will do the same if the lens can be firmware upgradeable.

kytra

Mu-43 Regular
ok, thanks for clarifications. That means Sigma could eventually make competitively sized lenses with the current panny/oly primes?

shoturtle

yeah, I think they will. It is a lucrative market in asia. They do love the compact EVIL camera's there and with 40% of all camera sold in Asia are mirrorless. Sigma will want to get a piece of the action.

mqavila

Mu-43 Regular
yeah, I think the will. It is a lucrative market in asia. They do love the compact EVIL camera's there and with 40% of all camera sold in Asia are mirrorless. Sigma will want to get a piece of the action.

Well, I can vouch for at least one Asian here. Can't speak for the rest of Asia though. ;)

EP1-GF1

Mu-43 Veteran
Park Cameras (UK) appear to have it in stock for £265 inc. VAT and delivery. which is about the best price I've seen recently.

Latest threads

Top Bottom