2021 - How will it affect your photography ? Difficulties ahead ?

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
My photography is heavily based upon Motorsports and being able to get to and ‘spectate’ and shoot at various events
Last year there was very little opportunity to attend events as nearly all that did go ahead were closed to spectators
Just as things seemed to be getting better we were hit with the anticipated second wave so all in all I managed only 2-3 events all year

My situation is always compounded by living on an Island and nearly all events taking place on the U.K. mainland - increasing the cost, risk and time required away from home

I have invested quite heavily in additional equipment this year to hedge my bets with all shooting scenarios and am now equipped with FF Nikon Z and 70-200 f2.8 for lower light events at my local Speedway which I am prioritising, M43 for supertelephoto shots at tracks with longer subject distances, run off areas and reduced public access to favourable shooting vantage points and have recently purchased a Fuji XS10 for more casual lighter Motorsports (and perhaps other genres) with an XF 50-200

If Covid turns out to be more elusive than we are hoping with the introduction of the Vaccines we may still be restricted in what we are all able to do
If this turns out to be the case then I will be forced to consider reducing my kit to a very basic level and possibly to give up shooting Motorsports

I have made a point of investing more this year partly to compensate for last year’s lack of opportunity but also because I fear that time is rapidly running out with regard to my back injuries allowing me to continue with long stints at trackside which leaves me aching quite badly and recovering over the following days
I wanted to make a point of trying out FF and buying back into Fuji in order to make this a particularly productive year just in case my conditions deteriorates

On this note I am just in the middle of the second recent debilitating ‘episode’ with my back whereby my mobility and ability to carry out routine tasks is and has been severely restricted
Bearing in mind that this latest episode was brought about by simply picking my boot up behind me towards my right hand to pull it on was all that was required to set me back again it’s now getting to the point where I am becoming more than a little fearful of making trips away by myself to track events and having an episode where I may have severe difficulties and may need help

I’m planning to go to Silverstone this year and will camp nearby for a week or so to combine the trip with family holiday so this will be OK as I will have support nearby but otherwise I may need to think again
With Covid 19 still around this would almost certainly be the last ‘nail in the coffin‘ which would curtail my continuing to do what I love and what gives me that break away ‘from everything‘

Not sure why I started posting this but having written this post I feel like I am reluctantly admitting to myself that my time being able to do what I love is coming to an end - at least to the extent that I have previously been able to do anything I chose to do within reason and family constraints

I will hopefully be able to continue shooting local events if they happen in any case and I’m very keen to shoot speedway with FF at least for a few events before accepting final defeat

Some here may have felt that I was perhaps spending too much on gear recently and that may well turn out to be the case if I am unable to make full use of it
My recent purchases we’re perhaps my last hurrah in the field and as such am pleased that I’ve bought my gear for this years season in the hope that I can produce some great results before I really do have to give up

Apologies for a downbeat post but it was a good way for me to think about things and get them into perspective and to admit those things I struggle with having until recent years been very active and highly motivated
Ive been gradually losing the ability to do various things since injuring my back in 2014 and ive been persevering despite the difficulties rather than giving up on being able to do these things

Despite all of the above I’m still hoping that another recovery, a positive outlook, a bit of grit, determination and further perseverance will enable me to continue with my hobby - fingers crossed:th_salute:

On a very much brighter note - Here’s Hoping you all have a good year to come shooting whatever makes you happy for as long as you can :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

Last edited:

scb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steve
Happy New Year to all! I certainly hope that 2021 will see a return to "normal" although I know that normalcy will return a little bit at a time. In terms of my photography:

1. We have a 1 year old granddaughter (turning 2 in June) that I would love to be able to photography in normal conditions. Since March, we have social distanced and have not been in an indoor setting to visit or take photographs. Luckily, we live nearby and see her on regular basis, but either outdoors or via Skype phone calls.
And, I miss having the take family photos. Under normal circumstances, we are able to get together with both my sons, their wives and our granddaughter quite a few times during the year, but that stopped back in March. What party we will have when everyone is vaccinated! And...it will be time for some new family photos!

2. We have a motorhome and like to explore. During the crisis, we've stayed within Ohio and did get to do some exploring of the state parks. Hopefully, in 2021, we can hit the road for parts unseen, or to visit a few relatives that we haven't seen in over a year or more. And maybe our trip to explore the national parks in Utah will become a reality in early fall of 2021 or spring of 2022!

3. Most of my nature photography hasn't been too badly impacted in 2020 as I can take hikes at our nearby parks without any major problems. But, I won't miss having to deal with foggy glasses or viewfinders due to having to wear a mask when needed due to walking paths making it difficult to social distance and/or folks that don't feel they need a mask outdoors regardless of the number and distance of other people!

4. I'm a member of our community's photo club (which I started), and I look forward to having normal meetings rather than meeting via Zoom. All of us miss the social interaction, along with other activities that take place in our 55+ community.

In the meantime, here's wishing that 2021 is the year of great images and greater times for all! And, take time to say a prayer or remember the thousands of people that have suffered so greatly during the past year. If you can, please share some of your good fortune to help those that need it. It has certainly been a year that has made me more aware of my many blessings and good fortune. Those blessings should never be taken for granted.

Happy New Year!

scb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steve
My photography is heavily based upon Motorsports and being able to get to and ‘spectate’ and shoot at various events
Last year there was very little opportunity to attend events as nearly all that did go ahead were closed to spectators
Just as things seemed to be getting better we were hit with the anticipated second wave so all in all I managed only 2-3 events all year

My situation is always compounded by living on an Island and nearly all events taking place on the U.K. mainland - increasing the cost, risk and time required away from home

I have invested quite heavily in additional equipment this year to hedge my bets with all shooting scenarios and am now equipped with FF Nikon Z and 70-200 f2.8 for lower light events at my local Speedway which I am prioritising, M43 for supertelephoto shots at tracks with longer subject distances, run off areas and reduced public access to favourable shooting vantage points and have recently purchased a Fuji XS10 for more casual lighter Motorsports (and perhaps other genres) with an XF 50-200

If Covid turns out to be more elusive than we are hoping with the introduction of the Vaccines we may still be restricted in what we are all able to do
If this turns out to be the case then I will be forced to consider reducing my kit to a very basic level and possibly to give up shooting Motorsports

I have made a point of investing more this year partly to compensate for last year’s lack of opportunity but also because I fear that time is rapidly running out with regard to my back injuries allowing me to continue with long stints at trackside which leaves me aching quite badly and recovering over the following days
I wanted to make a point of trying out FF and buying back into Fuji in order to make this a particularly productive year just in case my conditions deteriorates

On this note I am just in the middle of the second recent debilitating ‘episode’ with my back whereby my mobility and ability to carry out routine tasks is and has been severely restricted
Bearing in mind that this latest episode was brought about by simply picking my boot up behind me towards my right hand to pull it on was all that was required to set me back again it’s now getting to the point where I am becoming more than a little fearful of making trips away by myself to track events and having an episode where I may have severe difficulties and may need help

I’m planning to go to Silverstone this year and will camp nearby for a week or so to combine the trip with family holiday so this will be OK as I will have support nearby but otherwise I may need to think again
With Covid 19 still around this would almost certainly be the last ‘nail in the coffin‘ which would curtail my continuing to do what I love and what gives me that break away ‘from everything‘

Not sure why I started posting this but having written this post I feel like I am reluctantly admitting to myself that my time being able to do what I love is coming to an end - at least to the extent that I have previously been able to do anything I chose to do within reason and family constraints

I will hopefully be able to continue shooting local events if they happen in any case and I’m very keen to shoot speedway with FF at least for a few events before accepting final defeat

Some here may have felt that I was perhaps spending too much on gear recently and that may well turn out to be the case if I am unable to make full use of it
My recent purchases we’re perhaps my last hurrah in the field and as such am pleased that I’ve bought my gear for this years season in the hope that I can produce some great results before I really do have to give up

Apologies for a downbeat post but it was a good way for me to think about things and get them into perspective and to admit those things I struggle with having until recent years been very active and highly motivated
Ive been gradually losing the ability to do various things since injuring my back in 2014 and ive been persevering despite the difficulties rather than giving up on being able to do these things

Despite all of the above I’m still hoping that another recovery, a positive outlook, a bit of grit, determination and further perseverance will enable me to continue with my hobby - fingers crossed:th_salute:

On a very much brighter note - Here’s Hoping you all have a good year to come shooting whatever makes you happy for as long as you can :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:
We all know how miserable back problems can be! Here's hoping that yours heals quickly and enables you to pursue photography and life to it's fullest. Stay healthy and stay away from the new strains of the virus that your country is suffering.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I understand your position. 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Peripheral Nephropathy but with a twist. No pain but each of my feet is not receiving half of the nerve impulses. I live in Oregon due to the wonderful photo opportunities from a fantastic coast, various mountain ranges, and a high desert. I have had to adjust to wearing ankle braces and in difficult terrain using two hiking poles. And of course, I am cautious of where I go because I am still a fall hazard and thus some of the best but most difficult locations are "out of bounds". I exercise everyday and ride a stationary bike 5 miles at top speed every-other day. I sold all mine Nikon gear about 8 years ago now (broke my shoulder which froze and took 2 years to get "rehabilitated") and went to M43, without it I would not be imaging now. I have made compromise in what and how I shoot, my equipment, and life style. Lost weight and am keeping it off, and at 71 within the limitations I have and resetting my goals I am still enjoying photography in this pandemic. Have hope, reassess what you love and how to do it, but don't give up and don't lose hope you may have to change but you can still find joy. Hope your 2021 is a great year.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
The U.K. has many problems. Overcrowding. Roads that do not meet their purpose. A poor and inneficient rail service. Covid has shown how many disregard the advice given to them. Very little is now open in towns and countryside. We have a camper van, but Covid problems has seen the campsites close. Borders into Scotland and Wales are closed. Holidays, pubs, theatre, cinema and live music are a thing of the past.it will improve. There will be opportunities. Camera shops will once again open, selling new models and stock.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I appreciate your post Rob and sincerely hope (and expect) things to get better.
I have similar back problems to yourself and it's always the unexpected things that trigger it (like taking a tea bag out of the box :rolleyes: ).
My back was damaged through work, and I still do a series of exercises each morning despite retiring 11 years ago. So, just take it easy.
Your motorsport photos have been outstanding (especially the speedway ones) and I do hope that they get back to normal soon and that you can get to enjoy your newish gear sometime soon.
If I may say so, I think there's one thing that's going to keep you looking on the bright side (though there may be difficulties along the way) and that's your treasure Molly. Your photos of her are enough to cheer even the gloomiest of days.
So, keep yer pecker up, as they say,
all the best for '21 and beyond. :drinks:

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
Because of back injury, like the OP mentioned, I cringe when I read about people suggesting slings and messenger bags to carry their gear. Yes, our (m43) gear is lighter but it still adds up. Then you have those who carry five aftermarket batteries rather than one OEM (to save money).

Back and neck injuries are endemic in this hobby/profession. Just like any other profession, we need to understand and mitigate the risks.

As for 2021, I don't foresee any major changes for my photographic life. I've never enjoyed photograhing people. Unfortunately, there are more people visiting and ruining places that used to be remote. People coming in closer contact with typically remote animals/virus is believed to be how the pandemic started. Climate change will make this worse.

I'm confident that we'll have another pandemic soon. If you studied ninth-grade science you'll know why.

I empathize with those who have lost loved ones and income from this pandemic.

But we all need to adapt. Viruses adapt and kill animals. So our ability to adapt will reduce our risk of harm. Vaccination alone isn't enough.

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
I'm in NZ so we've been very lucky in 2020 to escape the worst of covid. I'm hoping to shoot much more film in 2021, other than that I'll be sticking to macro, cats, bees & the occasional bit of urban/street stuff.

Gear-wise, I have all I need but will always be on the lookout for bargains - mostly mid-range and/or weatherproof zooms (given we seem to be getting more humid & wet down south).

Kae1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ken
Thank you Rob for sharing your heart felt post and I can completely empathise with how you must be feeling at the moment.

I had polio when I was two which thankfully didn't affect me as much as other sufferers. However it did affect the muscles in my left arm which limited my movement and strength throughout my life. In my early 40's I noticed that the strength in my arm wasn't as good as it had used to be but just made the most of what I'd got. In my 60's what I have realised, and confirmed, is that my "good" arm was also affected. What I understand had happened was that instead of starting with 100% muscle strength I had maybe 40% in my left arm and 65% in my right arm. As you get older you lose muscles strength each year and consequently I now have limited strength and functionality in both my arms. If I am cold it gets worse.

However, because I've lived with this throughout my life it hasn't stopped me trying to make the most of what I'm able to do whilst I can. I've had to forego my beloved manual MX5 but my automatic MX5 gives me as much pleasure. I'm resigned to the fact that I struggle to lift heavy cameras and lenses and that's why I discovered m4/3. At some point I'll have to get rid of my better quality heavier lenses, but I still enjoy my kit lenses too.

I can't really give you any advice apart from saying that you are doing exactly the right thing and trying to making the most of what you can do now. Under Covid we are no longer able to plan ahead the same as we were in the past. At some point motorsports will return, albeit organised in a different way, and you will be able do what you love. In the future all we can do is just make the most of the opportunities that present themselves. Don't see it as something "coming to an end" but more as a new challenge and opportunity which you will still enjoy.

Last edited:

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
All the best with it all, Rob.

I fully appreciate the back problems. I have had disc problems since I was 13 y.o., and now lumbar facet syndrome. I finally gave in, and now take 2x Panadeine Forte 3x daily. It takes the edge off the pain, but no more than that.

Mu-43 Legend
@Robstar1963 all the best to you. This pandemic hits people unequally, and I am sorry it’s taken away one of your joys in life.

the only thing I might recommend, if your back is up to it, is to try more local shooting. Though your island might feel mundane to you, when you mentioned it, I was instantly intrigued as to where you live and what it’s like there. Maybe to get by during this time, share your island with us here, weather and back permitting of course.

All the best to you and yours in the new year.

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Many thanks for all of the kind comments and sympathy and to those sharing their own issues for whom I have equal and sincere sympathy, kind wishes and regards

My sincere thanks and best wishes also go out to those who have also shared their experience with children with additional needs (on other threads) and who have made kind comments about my beloved daughter Molly

My back has been getting worse during the past few months partly I think because I was on furlough from work for quite some time and far less active for much of the time due not only to Covid restrictions imposed upon us but also the lack of things to be able to actually get out and do

Also my highly trusted osteopath of many years had to give up providing his services due to the risks associated with Covid 19
Once or twice yearly visits previously maintained a bit of equilibrium and would stretch my back out to give some space between my joints

I have perhaps been feeling a little sorry for myself which is unusual for me but perhaps brought on by frustration as much as anything

Ive gotten far too used to spending too much time on social media and one of my New Years’ Resolutions is to cut down my screen time
Ive managed to do so during weekdays but am allowing myself more time at weekends

My other two resolutions are to exercise more, eat less snacks etc and lose some weight which would help with my back problems

I’m doing ok on the cutting down but we are again in full lock down here in the U.K. due to the far more virulent strain of Covid 19 now spreading almost out of control accross our country including here on the Isle of Wight

We have recently seen a near 200% increase in Covid positive tests here on the IW where we were previously hardly affected

From knowing no one who had been affected we are now in a position where I and everyone I speak to now knows people who have had Covid, been tested positive or are isolating with or without symptoms.

Because of my daughter who may have a compromised immunity to Covid and a wife with Asthma I am in the bracket of those being religiously careful in what I do to avoid being infected and this is at times tiring and frustrating especially as I am now back at work and in situations I cannot always control with regard to my risk

We are currently only allowed out once a day for exercise and not allowed to drive anywhere away from our own locality to seek exercise so family walks are restricted to our own village

I was very intrigued by the comment by @WT21 about sharing scenes from the Isle of Wight where I live - it is a lovely place to live so I will post some pictures once we are ‘allowed out’ again - thanks @WT21 for the idea and inspiration :thumbup:
This gives me something to aim for if and when the Covid situation is improved or hopefully overcome and life returns to a more normal pattern
Kind regards to all and stay safe and well :2thumbs:

Last edited:

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
During these times Table Top, Macro, and even simple astro (wide angle lens) on a simple tripod can be done from home to keep one in the game. I suggest trying some of these and shooting something at least once a day. Really get to know your camera and your processing system, I've been doing that and in fact even ordered a Microscope to go even deeper into macro (Get a SteroScope and not a compound as I've think stereo is a lot more useful if you want to photograph items (called a tri-ocular is the one you want because it has a camera port, although you can use a camera adapter even on the the two port stereo scopes). I have allergic asthma and while I can get to the "woods" here in Oregon I spend most of my time home due my high risk category and just keep looking for opportunities.

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
@Robstar1963 - I've only been to IOW a few times. The cliffs between Sandown and Shanklin are quite beautiful. Do the bus drivers still wave frantically at each other when they pass on the road?

Hi @RichardC
Yes there are some lovely areas here - we used to walk along the cliff path above Shanklin and Sandown but there have been a few cliff collapses in recent years and we tend to avoid that walk now especially when there has been a lot of rain - we walk along the Yaverland beach at the far end on Sandown quite a lot when out walking with Marley our dog
I do see bus and lorry drivers waving to each other quite a lot - perhaps less so than years ago and perhaps less ‘frantically’ - as a bike rider I get lots of nods from others on bikes which I always like - bit of an acknowledgment for choosing to ride with the associated risks :thumbup:

Mu-43 Legend
Rob - I would truly love to see pictures around your home island when you are able. I used to travel, but haven't in more than a year (predates COVID a bit), so "escaping" through photos would be great.

Hmmm...maybe we should start a thread "COVID travel: Photos of around where you live" just so others can "escape" to what seems mundane to us. Sort of a house-swap arrangement :)

On your comment about feeling sorry for yourself -- I don't think you are alone. Though we are all in this together, it's an isolating together, and easy to get down on yourself, especially when it's unclear how you can help/get engaged/make a difference other than "sit where you are." As one who believes in prayer, I will pray for you. I hope that doesn't offend. At the very least it's "good thoughts sent your way" ;)

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Rob - I would truly love to see pictures around your home island when you are able. I used to travel, but haven't in more than a year (predates COVID a bit), so "escaping" through photos would be great.

Hmmm...maybe we should start a thread "COVID travel: Photos of around where you live" just so others can "escape" to what seems mundane to us. Sort of a house-swap arrangement :)

On your comment about feeling sorry for yourself -- I don't think you are alone. Though we are all in this together, it's an isolating together, and easy to get down on yourself, especially when it's unclear how you can help/get engaged/make a difference other than "sit where you are." As one who believes in prayer, I will pray for you. I hope that doesn't offend. At the very least it's "good thoughts sent your way" ;)

Hi @WT21

I like the idea of a thread for pictures taken whilst we are all in this Covid situation - its so rare to be in a situation like this where the whole world is involved and equally affected
I cant recall if there is a thread of this nature already in place here but I do recall several images from members documenting the ‘The Covid Days’

Perhaps that would be a good name for a thread ? and could include images of our home locations, town centres/malls and the way people are affected during this period or anything that loosely fits the bill

As it was your idea I will leave it to you to give it some more thought and to set up a thread and I will certainly try to populate it to some degree :thumbup:

On a note about that and upon Covid - my sister Heather phoned me last night to let us know that she has suspected Covid 19 and was coughing regularly in the background whilst talking (Waiting for a test result)

She works in (imo) a poorly managed retail situation where several other staff have been off with Covid or are isolating
She is like me in her 50s and with more than one risk factor so I am hoping that her condition does not worsen.
She was taking it in her stride last night but it is worrying knowing what the outcome can be and it really hits home when someone so close gets this horrible virus

Kind regards

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom