2021 August - Outlet Sale

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Olympus has a 20% off outlet sale again.
It will be on till 8/20 at 11:59

But I just looked, and there were only NINE items.
Although the 14-150 is calling my name.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yes I looked at the sale, as I was kind of underwhelmed by it. The only current body in the sale is the E-m1x. And just 3 lenses, none of them pro level.

But then since I just spent a wad of cash on the E-m1 mark II, I'm not looking to buy at this time.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Ya I was wondering if maybe I got the email late and a lot of stuff sold. I only counted a total of 9 also. So kind of slim pickings. While I appreciate another 20% sale after the last (disregarding the across the board price hikes lately that mostly wiped out the 20%), they should have waited until fall to build back up inventory to make it more impactful.

Tilman Paulin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
they did only include a small selection of stuff into the 20% sale to begin with...

When I checked out the refurb store an hour or two after the sale was announced - they still had a refurb 100-400mm for example - but it didn't get any discount...

So that's new (from what I know) - the sale didn't apply to their entire inventory in the first place...

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
they did only include a small selection of stuff into the 20% sale to begin with...

When I checked out the refurb store an hour or two after the sale was announced - they still had a refurb 100-400mm for example - but it didn't get any discount...

So that's new (from what I know) - the sale didn't apply to their entire inventory in the first place...
There have been a few sales in the past that the sale was only for selected items.

I think I've seen people commenting that rather than restricting the sale to certain items, they just removed all of the entries that were in the store the day before, did the sale, and magically after the sale, those items came back.

DlanorSekao

Mu-43 Regular
I was entertaining the E-M5 mk ll Refurbished for $499 as a Outdoors and Kayaking /fishing camera......as a sealed backup to my EM 10 ll
But after looking at a seller on EBay that had nearly the same price with two year warranty included , I decided to just hold tight for the moment.
I'm hoping much better sales are coming closer to the Holidays ?

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was entertaining the E-M5 mk ll Refurbished for $499 as a Outdoors and Kayaking /fishing camera......as a sealed backup to my EM 10 ll
But after looking at a seller on EBay that had nearly the same price with two year warranty included , I decided to just hold tight for the moment.
I'm hoping much better sales are coming closer to the Holidays ?

WHO is warrantying the camera?
I discount self warranties. Some/many of the stores that used to be around and who sold extended store "warranties" for their products have long ago shut down or gone out of business. And there went the warranties.

If it is someone like KEH, different story.

DlanorSekao

Mu-43 Regular
WHO is warrantying the camera?
I discount self warranties. Some/many of the stores that used to be around and who sold extended store "warranties" for their products have long ago shut down or gone out of business. And there went the warranties.

If it is someone like KEH, different story.
I'm well aware of what you are saying.
However... I figure that ANY warranty above and beyond the pitiful 90 days that Olympus gives for their refurbished products is more than welcome.
I have noticed several large electronics sellers on eBay offering an extended electronics warranty through Allstate on refurbished items. This is what it was for two years.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm well aware of what you are saying.
However... I figure that any warranty above and beyond the pitiful 90 days that Olympus gives for their refurbished products is more than welcome.

Nikon refurb warranty is also 90 days.
It is Canon that has the unusual 1 year warranty on refurbs. That is as long as many brands warranty on NEW gear.
I don't know about Sony, Fuji, etc.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Nikon refurb warranty is also 90 days.
It is Canon that has the unusual 1 year warranty on refurbs. That is as long as many brands warranty on NEW gear.
I don't know about Sony, Fuji, etc.
No idea if OMDS will carry on the same policy, but even though the refurb warranty is only 90 days, you could still buy the extended warranty if you wished from Olympus for the refurb items so long as you did so within that 90 day window.

Last edited:

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
No idea if OMDS will carry on the same policy, but even though the refurb warranty is only 90 days, you could still buy the extended warranty if you wished from Olympus for the refurb items so long as you did so within that 90 day window.
Actually no you can't. When OMDS took over, one of the things that disappeared is the Olympus branded extended warranty that would be good for 2 years after the original warranty ran out (in the USA, 1 year for new cameras, and 90 days for refurbished cameras). One of things I tended to factor into the price when buying refurbished cameras is getting the extended warranty. Quite a few years ago, when I got my E-m5, the viewfinder failed around the 90 day period, but fortunately I had the extended warranty.

Real Name
Walter
Actually no you can't. When OMDS took over, one of the things that disappeared is the Olympus branded extended warranty that would be good for 2 years after the original warranty ran out (in the USA, 1 year for new cameras, and 90 days for refurbished cameras). One of things I tended to factor into the price when buying refurbished cameras is getting the extended warranty. Quite a few years ago, when I got my E-m5, the viewfinder failed around the 90 day period, but fortunately I had the extended warranty.
You're right. I was just on the Getolympus site, and the extended warranties are no longer listed. :-(

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Bummer

Real Name
Walter
Did you notice how weird the Getolympus Outlet Site has become? I found my way to the full Outlet list and found that it was full of listings. There were 277 items listed. The weird part is that there were plenty of old items on there that I haven't seen on the Outlet list or even on the new list in years. Like the AIR-01, PEN E-PM2, MMF-3, etc. But, when I clicked on many of the items, a lot of them were Out of Stock. Some were inexpensive and I might have snapped them up if they were really selling for that price, but they were all unavailable. The stuff that were available were fairly recent and too high priced, almost new prices, as the Outlet has become known for lately. I figure that less than 10% of the stuff shown is available. Good luck finding them. Why da heck were so many items listed that were unavailable. Why bother at all? It's almost like someone is playing a joke. Take a look for yourself.

https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/outlet.html

You have to wonder what they're thinking. Why advertise so many items that aren't available, making it even more difficult to find the items that are actually available, and just confusing and frustrating the customer? It's like they're trying to hide the real stuff among tons of dummy stuff. WDH, OMDS?

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Did you notice how weird the Getolympus Outlet Site has become? I found my way to the full Outlet list and found that it was full of listings. There were 277 items listed. The weird part is that there were plenty of old items on there that I haven't seen on the Outlet list or even on the new list in years. Like the AIR-01, PEN E-PM2, MMF-3, etc. But, when I clicked on many of the items, a lot of them were Out of Stock. Some were inexpensive and I might have snapped them up if they were really selling for that price, but they were all unavailable. The stuff that were available were fairly recent and too high priced, almost new prices, as the Outlet has become known for lately. I figure that less than 10% of the stuff shown is available. Good luck finding them. Why da heck were so many items listed that were unavailable. Why bother at all? It's almost like someone is playing a joke. Take a look for yourself.

https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/outlet.html

You have to wonder what they're thinking. Why advertise so many items that aren't available, making it even more difficult to find the items that are actually available, and just confusing and frustrating the customer? It's like they're trying to hide the real stuff among tons of dummy stuff. WDH, OMDS?

I agree, at least and "out of stock" indicator, should be on the item.
As I recall, in prior sales, when an item was "out of stock," it was removed from the list.

Real Name
Walter
As I recall, in prior sales, when an item was "out of stock," it was removed from the list.
That's right. But, why clutter it up with stuff that are simply "imaginary" in terms of actual availability?

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I recall quite a few times that it wasn't removed. I could understand maybe within 1/2 hour of somebody buying the last item that it would still be on the list, but at times, I would check back several hours later, and the sold out items were still on the list.

Real Name
Walter
I recall quite a few times that it wasn't removed. I could understand maybe within 1/2 hour of somebody buying the last item that it would still be on the list, but at times, I would check back several hours later, and the sold out items were still on the list.
It might take a day or two, but they usually updated the page. That doesn't explain the current Outlet site. There are stuff on there that haven't been available for years.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom