2015 ROLEX 24 at Daytona - Canon S120

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by ijm5012, Feb 4, 2015.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yes, I know this is a mu-43 forum but this is one of the best photography forums I've come across, so I figured I would share it here.

I was down in Daytona at the end of January for the ROLEX 24 hour race that takes place, helping a team who runs two Dodge Vipers. One of the cars won its class, so I decided to make this short video called "The Final Stop", with clips shot from the last pit stop the car made during the race. All of this was shot on my tiny Canon S120 pocket camera which I always take with me when going to the races (when going to work, if I'm going as a spectator then I'll take my m43 gear), and edited in iMovie (this was my first time doing anything in iMovie, although I did take a basic training course at the local Apple store).

All of the video was shot 1080/60, and then the slowed down to 24p when needed. I was pleasantly surprised at how robust iMovie is, at least for a beginner. Obviously there are reasons why software like FCPX exist, but I can't justify spending $300 on a piece of software when all of the videos I make are for personal use. Overall I'm really happy with how the video turned out, and am looking forward to learning more about iMovie as I continue to play with it.

I'd appreciate any tips people could share to improve my videography skills, or editing (keeping in mind I'm only using iMovie). Thanks for watching!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Well done, the images from the Canon are great. I believe you've just made up my mind for my wife's next point and shoot camera.
  3. vtsteevo

vtsteevo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    Great video! And don't take this the wrong way, but as a car guy, my favorite part of the movie was the first 4 seconds :)