2015 Canadian F1 GP: OMD EM5 w/ Olympus 40-150mm f2.8 PRO & 1.4x Teleconverter

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by pydoublee, Jun 11, 2015.

1. pydoublee

pydoublee Mu-43 Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Hello everyone!

I recently went to the 2015 Canadian F1 GP in Montreal, and I had a chance to use my Olympus 40-150mm f2.8 PRO, Olympus 1.4x Teleconverter, and the Olympus red dot sight (EE-1) with my OMD EM5.

Overall the setup was easy to carry (I use a Think Tank Urban Approach 15 backpack) and easy to use. The lens and teleconverter combo provided sharp images, much sharper than the Panasonic 100-300mm. I would've preferred a bit more reach like the Panasonic, but the image quality is only acceptable at 300mm on the Panasonic.

To capture the fast cars, I put the camera on manual and manually prefocused on a spot. I used an aperture of f8.0 to provide a wide depth of field, a shutter speed of 1600, and auto ISO. The red dot sight really helped when I tracked the cars around the bend. The only issue I found with the red dot sight is that it was hard to calibrate without a tripod... it was difficult to balance the camera steady with one hand and calibrating the setup with the other.

I'm not a professional motorsports photographer (I hope to be someday!), but I hope you will enjoy these images. Maybe I will see more micro 4/3 users at the races in the future!

Here is the entire gallery: http://www.peteryeestudios.com/2015_canadian_f1

Cheers,
    Pete

[​IMG]
    Red Bull F1 team.

[​IMG]
    Rush hour.

[​IMG]
    2008 & 2014 F1 World Champion, Lewis Hamilton.

[​IMG]
    2010 - 2013 F1 World Champion, Sebastian Vettel.

[​IMG]
    Sunday afternoon drive.

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Very clear and sharp.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.