1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

2012 : remembering eastman kodak

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by caimi, Dec 30, 2012.

1. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    rememberingeastmankodak.

Oly EM5 Pan 20mm

• Like Like x 3
  2. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Great image!

Very sad about Kodak. I wasn't an "everything I buy is Kodak" sort of shooter, but I still buy HC-110 and hope someone continues to make it, and I kept buying Plus-X until I couldn't find it anymore. Hope whoever buys the film division gets that patent and reintroduces the film.

There's no good reason for it. Fuji is doing well, making great films (Acros is my film of choice these days) and unique digital cameras (the X-10 is a blast and produces great images. The XPro and XE1 are great cameras). Kodak was one of the first into the digital fray; that's why I don't quite get what happened other than gross mismanagement. Its sensors were IT at one time. What happened? Same thing that happened to Agfa, I guess, another great company that bit the dust -- he says, with the incomprehension of an aging man for whom old familiarities are slipping away.

3. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I miss mid 90's Tri-X 400 :frown:

I still have a ton of EYP-64T slide film in the fridge, because when I bought the brick of film way back when, I thought "great! now I'll never run out of slide film!"

Heh- I still have a reeeeally old roll of Kodak Tech pan in the fridge too, wanting to "save it" but can never bring myself to use it.

Secret confession: I always preferred Fuji pro color film to Kodak's. Don't tell anyone.

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Cool shot. :cool:

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    A tribute to the end of Kodachrome, sadly now Kodak.

Kodachrome
    A class project

• Like Like x 1
  6. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Kodak never got digital right and missed the boat. Sad that an over 123 year old leading photographic company could screw everything up but instead of embracing digital they fought it and the dragon eventually slayed them.

7. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Thanks Gary. I learned how to use my meter shooting Kodachrome 64 and 25. Not much wiggle room, but I always loved the film. Later I got free E-6 processing in the labs I worked in, so I shot more Fuji slide film (not Velvia) and some Ektachrome.

My first camera was a Kodak Brownie, one of those light gray jobs, and my 13 year old funds depleted pretty rapidly buying film, flash bulbs, and processing.

Here's one of my favorite pictures of my father, taken with that camera in 1965 - Kodak camera, film and processing -- of him fixing a lawn mower in the cellar at his work bench.

DAD_9_65_email.

Thanks for the memories, Kodak.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I'm not so sure that Kodak didn't want to embrace digital vs they didn't know how to use & employ digital.

They had a monochrom sensor long before Leica employed one made by another manufacturer.

They had great CCD image IQ but didn't really develop it much.

And who knows what other digital patents they had.

9. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I shot a lot of 35mm tech pan before I could afford a 4x5 camera. Really a pretty amazing film.

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I've probably shot more than 20,000 rolls of Tri-X.

Gary

11. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Kodak certainly never marketed digital properly. Very early on they had a huge (built in hard drive) maybe 1 megapixel DSLR that was a Nikon/Kodak hybrid mid/late 90's I think. But they never produced their own DSLR in the DSLR age of early 2001-2002 era. Kodak made the sensor for the Leica M8 which was a fiasco for both Leica and Kodak as it needed a UV/IR filter or you would get magenta tinged images.

For the next 10 years Kodak seemed to come out each year with dozens of low end point and shoots always easily outdone by any japanese company. It seemed like the big corporate structure didn't want to let the digital upstart eat itself and therefore left the playing field for the Japanese and Korean companies to take over.

I liked Tri-X and Kodachrome but once Kodak stopped making Medalist G surface paper in the late 70's I found solace in Agfa and Ilford for a while and later to Fuji.

I've been all digital for over 10 years, I see film as great for the young who grew up in the digital age I know many twentysomethings that love Kodak Potra Film. I still have a Rollieflex if I get the urge.

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Kodak gave up making quality cameras back in the 60's so they couldn't make their own DSLRs. They were more of a chemical company and just couldn't become a mass producer of sensors that could compete with Sony et al. They even tried to become a general chemical company but that didn't go very far either.

13. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I don't know. At 61 I'm not young, and I still shoot a fair amount of film -- all black and white however. Like I said, I'll be disappointed if HC110 doesn't get taken up by whoever buys Kodaks film, paper, and chemistry business. At dilution H, it works really well for me in all sorts of ways.

I know a lot of people (mostly at the rangefinder forum) who still shoot film, not as a novelty for the young but as the medium in which they want to express themselves. As long as its available and I can still get into a darkroom, I'll probably continue to shoot film. I love my digital tools, but I'm not ready to retire the OM-1 or the Hasselblad just yet or any of the other film cameras I still use.

Thank God for Fuji. They seem to have a clue. And Ilford, now that it has reorganized seems to be doing OK -- at least I hope.

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Kodak was poised to be a mass sensor producer since it was them along with Olympus that created "Four Thirds" :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  15. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Mmm...the Kodak sensor in my e500. Loved the colors it rendered.

16. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I was never much of a Kodak camera user but I learned b&w photography and processing using Tri-X, Pan-X, Plus-X ,Medalist papers and Kodak chemicals. I always wanted to take a "pilgramage" to Rochester, NY but never did. Sad to see such a photography giant's demise because of its inability to transition to digital.

17. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd suggest still going to Rochester. George Eastman House, International Museum of Photography and Film, Rochester, NY, USA