1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

2011-12 NFL Season

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Y-V-E-S, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    It's almost time for the NFL season to start! Just wondering how many avid NFL fans we have here. I'm looking out for my team The Packers this year to repeat, although I do just love the game as a whole and look out for all the teams. I'm from the bay area and love the bay area teams as well so I'm interested to see how well the 49ers will do in the regular season. So far Smith has impressed me during the pre-season games. Kaepernick will definitely be the future of the team though.

2. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Micro 4/3 cameras are the best choice for taking photos at NFL games. I went to a Viking game last September and tried to get in with my Canon 50D and 70-200mm L glass zoom. The guards wouldn't let me in with the lens because it was too long! Apparently, the NFL doesn't like fans taking pictures during games. Fortunately, I had my GF-1 with the 14-140mm zoom. Notwithstanding the fact that the Pany zoom is equivalent to 280mm, they let me take it in because the lens was less than 6 inches long. Here's a panorama that I stitched together from my visit that day.

HHH_Metrodome.

• Like Like x 5
  3. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

Yes, I'm ready for some football... If the Pack can avoid the injury troubles they faced last season, they should have an excellent shot at repeating. The running back corps looks strong with an improved James Starks, and explosive Alex Green. The offensive line is improved over last year. Their core defense is intact and Tim Masthay is kicking the ball a ton. It will be a fun season....

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Similar shaped ball, so theres a tenuous connection -

We've got the Rugby World Cup kicking off in just under two weeks.

Go the All Blacks !

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I will wait until the Brewers finish destroying all the East Coast favorites before I turn my attention to the Packers destroying pretty much everyone. Although to be honest, football is just something to get me through between baseball and and basketball seasons.

I like football well enough, but NFL fans remind me of another quote I really like.... "Jesus, save us from your followers".

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I played in high school (d-back) and was a pretty avid fan for a long time. These days, though, with the size and speed of the players, the game has just gotten too brutal. With all of the health issues of players and older ex-players coming to light, I'm having a really hard time watching it these days. That said, I do live in the Philly area where football is a religion, the Eagles made some HUGE off-season moves, particularly on D, and I guess they have a decent shot this year. So, if they get into the playoffs, I'm sure I'll watch and pull for them. But I'm a fair weather fan and liking the game less and less all the time.

Much much much more of a baseball fan, even though I was about the only kid I knew who never played little league or on a school team. But that's just such an interesting game on so many levels, tactical, strategic, human, etc. And I'm a baseball fan whether my team is any good or not. At the moment, they're REAL good, but that won't last too many more years...

-Ray

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Heh heh. Yeah, your boys look pretty good, but there's a difference between a super hot offensive team and deep, solid pitching. I still like our pitching against your batters better than I like your pitching against our bats. But the post season is such a crapshoot - anything can happen. Last year Cody effin' ROSS gets hotter than Arizona asphalt in August and the Giants win everything. That never should have happened, but they were no doubt the best team in the post season last year.

-Ray

8. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    The Giants bull pen was on point last year. It also helped that the offense was scoring runs. This year though, even with the acquisition of Beltran and all the damn injuries, I don't have much faith the Giants will survive the post season.

As for football I played 4 years as a FB. I just loved to hit. That's pretty much why I like watching the NFL. The new rules implemented this year though will probably help with players from being injured. Hell, even moving the kick off spot at the 25 yard line prevents kick off returns.

9. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Guys,

Patriots season ticket holder since the 1970's.

I can't wait for the regular season to get going... man we have a defense again at last!

Go Pats!

10. Photorx12

Photorx12 Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    Awesome pick! I'm a huge vikings fan. I had a whole trip planned out last season to go see them, and suddenly the roof collapsed. needless to say I had to cancel the trip because I wasn't up to watching the game outdoor at the college stadium. Maybe this december i can finally make my pilgrimage to the metrodome.

11. Photorx12

Photorx12 Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    I won't hold that against you alan :rolleyes: ......(although I have the pats defense in my fantasy team)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Good pitching will usually win out, but time will tell. Sorry for hijacking the NFL thread, but it's August and I'm sweating like a pig and I'm having a hard time thinking about football.

his swing was feared throughout the land by Lukinosity, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  13. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    The Pats defense is definitely a threat this year.

14. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    No worries. I'm a baseball fan as well. Not as much as Football but Baseball has gotten me hooked. There's so much to baseball that I didn't even know about since a couple of years ago.

15. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Super envious!!!!! :hail:

I'm especially keeping my eye on Danny Woodhead - he made some pretty exciting plays last season, considering his size. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  16. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    While I love my New Jersey Giants, I love college football more. Don't have a favorite team and I can watch just about any game!

17. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

Thanks Photorx12! Make sure you take your camera with you for some street shooting at the tailgate party before the game. Are you going to be dressed like this guy?

Photo taken with GF-1 using Pany 14-140mm zoom set at 81mm. Exposure data: ISO 100, 1/125 sec at f/5.8.

Viking_Game.

I took a few shots of the game and halftime show. This example was taken with the GF-1 and the zoom at 140mm. Exposure data: ISO 400, 1/60 sec at f/5.8.

Viking_Game-2.

• Like Like x 1
  18. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

Speaking of hijacking the thread and shifting the discussion to baseball. My hometown's baseball park is in the final of Baseball Canada's Favourite Ballpark contest. Port Arthur Stadium is 60 year's old and has quite a history. Last July, we hosted the World Junior Baseball Championships, which was a great photo op. Here's one of the shots I took.

Team_USA.

The photo below is an HDR panorama I created with PT GUI Pro using a total of 35 individual images (5 shots bracketed 7 times). If you like this picture (or even if you don't :rofl: ), I'd appreciate you voting for our park at this link:

Baseball Canada Canada

Port_Arthur_Stadium.

19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Odd that the website didn't show me the photos, but I voted for Port Arthur Stadium....great shot!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    I am very glad to see a thread like this.

Of course, I follow The Greatest Sports Franchise Known To Man

The Dallas Cowboys

Thank you. That is all.:thumbup::cool::smile: